Author Topic: What were the odds?  (Read 1713 times)

Offline archer71xx

• Team IceShanty Regular
What were the odds?
« on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:06 AM »
My friend Sammy went fishing with me this morning, I let him use a 220.00 fishing rod, he got cold and went to the car to get another coat... He comes back and says oh poop my poles gone!!
           As it turns out, he left it lay on the chair and the wind blew the chair over and the rod went down the hole in 12 foot of water!! He was freaking out... Lol.
       Anyway, I had Stella rigged with a swimming Rapala and after a few tries I caught the pole!!!! Unreal!!!! 35 years of ice fishing and I have never seen anything go down a hole and come back!

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What were the odds?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:09 AM »
I had a Polar tipup go down a hole one year.  It rained and the wind was blowing like crazy, so it just slid over and down it went.  The next day I fished it out with a jig pole and still had the live shiner on it. 

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:13 AM »
I had a Polar tipup go down a hole one year.  It rained and the wind was blowing like crazy, so it just slid over and down it went.  The next day I fished it out with a jig pole and still had the live shiner on it.

If that's the case, i think you need to find another hole to fish...

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:16 AM »
My friend Sammy went fishing with me this morning, I let him use a 220.00 fishing rod

All I can say is; Sammy must be a real good friend.   Personally, I don't have any friends I like that well.  ;D
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline archer71xx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:27 AM »
I think I'll carry a zebco 202 for him to use next time  ;D

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:44 AM »
That's what the big lures are for...hooking up dropped items.  Glad you got it back.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:32 AM »
That's why you'll never see me fishing with a $220 pole.  :o  I usually seem to do just fine with my cheepies!! If I can't catch it with them then I really don't care to catch it!   :P Glad you got your pole back though!!
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2018, 12:31 PM »
What pole was it that cost $220?

Offline archer71xx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2018, 12:59 PM »
Fenwick hmg 50 bucks paired with a quantum catalyst 170 bucks... At least it wasn't my Fenwick Aetos paired with Stella. Fish with what you like I reckon.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2018, 01:29 PM »
Good stuff. I lost some gear trolling for Kokanee. 40 feet down over 150 ft of water one broke me off. Next pass through that hole I got a bite, the fish came off but traded me for my lost gear! Hahaha! I know it sounds crazy but it happened. The look of bewilderment on mine and my two buddies faces was more than priceless I'm sure.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline archer71xx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2018, 02:44 PM »
Good stuff. I lost some gear trolling for Kokanee. 40 feet down over 150 ft of water one broke me off. Next pass through that hole I got a bite, the fish came off but traded me for my lost gear! Hahaha! I know it sounds crazy but it happened. The look of bewilderment on mine and my two buddies faces was more than priceless I'm sure.
     That's is crazy, and I thought my odds were slim, glad you got it back, thanks for the great story!

Offline nocsious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2018, 03:01 PM »
I guess this is a topper kind of post, but I have a Thornebro's tripwire stealth paired with a Shimano Stella.  It's a long story and I didn't pay for either one, but that's an expensive setup that nobody gets to borrow.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2018, 03:10 PM »
That is nothing. A friend and I were fishing for shad on the Hudson one spring. He got hung up and broke off a shad dart. On our very next pass, he hangs up again, pulls on it and it comes free. On his shad dart was the one he had just lost. He was lucky like that, later that morning he caught an 8lb walleye or as we called it, a shadeye....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline SHUBA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shuba
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2018, 03:18 PM »
Years back buddy and I were trolling for eyes and my buddy's cheap _ _ _
reel kept messing up ,so he threw the whole rod overboard well about hour half later
after few resets he thought he had a fish on only to reel in his pole that he had tossed
 Was funny I made him keep the pole told him he was meant to keep that pole
 I believe he still has it to this day
Shuba<br />Hardwater Fanatic

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2018, 03:31 PM »
Sunglasses, tiny camp stove, couple/few rods, in and back out, jigging rap is perfect for fishing for things that won't bite...

Never could get phones back...

<°)))>{

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2018, 03:41 PM »
3 of us were fishing out of a 19ft Grumman canoe in the boundary waters.  Wife was in the bow, a friend in the middle and I was in the stern.  We were fishing or smallies. My wife had a small blue jointed rapala, the guy in the middle had a yellow beetle spin and I was tossing a small jig.  We hit a promising spot and, before I could put my paddle down and pick up my ultra light, both had a hard hit that immediately broke off. I grabbed my
heavier rod with a larger rapala and tossed out hooking a fair sized northern.  I brought him in and his mouth looked like a tackle shop.  There were
the beetle spin and both rapalas.........  I've also lost a couple of schoolies only to snag and retrieve them when a hooked fish took off and got tangled.
Last spring my buddy lost a live basket full of crappies.  We jigged the area for quite a while before retrieving it intact. no fun

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2018, 03:52 PM »
We jigged the area for quite a while before retrieving it intact. no fun

Dropping anything valuable down the hole, always costs a bunch of fishing time... Grrrr...

<°)))>{

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:40 PM »
I believe there is an ice fishing "law of diminished return"

The more expensive the gear, the more likely it will find its way down the hole!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:45 PM »
My rods are like my tools! No one uses my good ones!
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline bearlake16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:56 PM »
The worst for me was i had 3 100 dollar bills in my shirt pocket with my new iPod. (Just put them in my pocket) got a flag and It looked to be spinning good. Big northern lake. Ran for the the tipup slipped about 10 feet from the hole and in slow motion watched the iPod and the 300 bucks that somehow stuck to it fly out of my pocket slide across the ice and sink down the hole.. first hour of a 4 day weekend. Caught the fish which was a fricken 8 inch bullhead. Can you say pissed off? I still get ribbed from the boys for that one. Had to borrow money to make it through the weekend, No ATM to be had for miles.

Offline rlusk3030

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:05 AM »
Was float tube fly fishing for trout in Colorado and one guy in our party had a $500 set up come unstrapped and drop into the lake probably 15-20ft.  Came back the next day with spinning tackle and after about an hour my dad managed to snag the guys rod.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:24 AM »
Just stumbled across this...

<°)))>{

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2018, 01:20 PM »
Made me laugh!!!!!  :roflmao: :clap:
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2018, 01:41 PM »
This guy lost BOTH an Aqua-Vu and his cell phone on the same fish - last week. See video at 10:20 to 10:47.... Bad day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRT4REZnqzs
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2018, 02:44 PM »
I was bank fishing on a local reservoir for walleye. I snagged and lost a Wally Diver. About 4 casts later, I snagged again. This time I pulled up the stick that had my lost lure still stuck to it.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:36 PM »
I have seen 3 rod n reel combos recovered that went down the hole.
One of them was mine.
A few years ago I was fishing with my ex her best friend and the friends kid out of my little boat.
The fishing wasn't bad but the kid lost a rod over the side.
We tried convincing him to go in after it but the water was cold and he chickened out.
We return the next day with my stepson who has volunteered to dive in after it.
After awhile we spot a rod on the bottom and in he goes. He throws the rod in the boat and hops back in.
As he is drying off I realize this wasn't my rod n reel but some old piece of junk!
We call the rod a lost cause but drop the anchor to fish a bit anyway.
1/2 hour later while swinging on anchor I spy my rod hanging vertical by the bobber and after several tries fish it out of the lake.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:02 PM »
This guy lost BOTH an Aqua-Vu and his cell phone on the same fish - last week. See video at 10:20 to 10:47.... Bad day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRT4REZnqzs
    I would have been really peeved,perhaps even cried.

Offline J2theD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:57 PM »
Last year I lost my 10" auger bit down a hole. The bolt had come out while I was drilling the first hole of the trip (I obviously didn't notice) and as soon as I punch through I pull up and its just the auger head, no bit. Dropped the camera down and about 25' down my auger bit laid on the bottom. We tried jigging for a bit but we didn't have the resources to pull it out. 

I ended up buying a new bit and fishing the winter with it. Later spring rolled around and I went back to the same lake I lost my bit and told my buddies who were fishing with me the story. We went and tried to find the location, but I could only tell them a ballpark. Well, fishing was slow so my buddies decide to drill a few holes and look for the bit. Long story short, they end up finding it and we got it back! I had brought a magnet and 550 cord just in case and it worked. It took us a couple of hours, but now I have two 10" auger bits :)
I always C & R Lakers and Rainbows

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2018, 01:19 PM »
My friend's brother dropped his truck keys down the hole.  He left the ice, went to a hardware store, and came back with a magnet.  He was able to retrieve his keys.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 20, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Brother and I were fishing for pike. He came over for a chat and left his rod on his chair. A pike took his bait and pulled the rod and all down the hole.  1/2 hour later I get a bump on my line and land a medium sized pike with 2 hooks in his yap and the rod still attached recovered the rod. Bro was happy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.