The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Cooking burbot  (Read 5822 times)

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the tags are filled you can bet Im on the ice
Cooking burbot
« on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:47 AM »
I iced my first ling last night, about 16” so I turned it loose. About 5 mins later I iced my second burbot, about 20” so I kept it for the dinner table. My neighbor used to cook me what he called poor mans lobster when I was a kid. He used to only use the standard cod filets, what people are calling the back straps. When I was watching a video on how to clean them, the guy mentioned to cut out the belly filet. Does anyone eat this as well with the poor mans lobster recipe? Simply cut the filets into bite sized chunks and boil in salt water for 2 mins? Much appreciated!

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Cooking burbot
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:15 AM »
I cut the "loins",the long fillets out of the back strap into chunks,broil and dip in seafood butter..mmm mmm good. :tipup:
Dont ask

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:26 AM »

Tinker

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:30 AM »
Boiled is delicious but not very appetizing to look at.  For me we pretty much cook them in 2 ways, breaded and fried or in chowder.  I save all the belly meat and cut into "clam strips" and use it in place of clams for chowder.  The belly meat always cooks up chewy for me thus I only use it for chowder. 

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2018, 01:19 PM »
This video really helped me get every bit of meat off of that ling. We always just boil and dip in butter. The dark colored flesh can be kind of scraped off after cooking, it's a little strong, but the rest is great. I actually like the belly meat the most. There is a very thin layer of white tissue that covers the inside of the belly I pull that off, before cooking. I always suspected that might cook up chewy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zWORf4OEVE

Offline MT_btagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:10 PM »
Breaded and fried fish and chips style is delicious.

I've also poached the fish in water with bay leaves and then used the flaked meat in place of crab in crab cakes. Really close to the real thing.
"You will never be criticized by a guy catching more fish. Only by guys who are catching less."

Offline titan666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2018, 09:00 PM »
Definitely going to have to try the faux clam chowder. Ended with 5 the other night so we have a good mess of fish for a few meals.

Offline ElkNut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2018, 10:49 PM »
My buddies taught me this old Wisconsin walleye recipe but, it works great with any of our gamefish; except trout.
Soak it in milk overnight, roll it in club crackers, throw it in the pan, then drink the milk.

Offline titan666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:16 AM »
Not sure I'm brave enough to try that..

Offline firebolt

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fish on!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:22 AM »
I also make clam chowder using clam juice, but substituting ling for the clams.  Also - lobster bisque using ling instead of lobster - it's fantastic!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2018, 01:00 PM »
Not sure I'm brave enough to try that..
I’m passing in the fish milk too 🤢😜😋

Offline hi_tail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2018, 04:42 PM »
Never had bad ling.  You know it's good meat when you can boil it in saltwater, dip it in butter and smile :D

Offline titan666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2018, 09:42 PM »
I also make clam chowder using clam juice, but substituting ling for the clams.  Also - lobster bisque using ling instead of lobster - it's fantastic!

Absolutely genius

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2018, 12:18 PM »
Before and after. White colored fish is ling, red colored is rainbow. Fried the trout, and boiled the ling, It was good!

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2018, 10:39 AM »
That trout tasted just like salmon!

Offline Hard_Water_Warrior

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2018, 12:53 PM »
I have used ling to make chowder in the past, which was amazing. My two favorite ways to prepare burbot though have to be a Japanese-style tempura, complete with the battered and fried veggies. I also made it like a crab-pot. Old bay seasoning, corn on the cob, and potatoes. Super good that way as well!
My fishing policy is "Don't ask, Don't Tell". As in don't ask where I fish, because I probably wont tell you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.