The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Pike  (Read 3572 times)

youngmook500

Pike
« on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:49 AM »
What do you guys do with pike when you catch them?

Offline tkmoney_99

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pike
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2018, 11:19 AM »
Feed em to the eagles.
Can't catch em on your couch.

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2018, 11:21 AM »
I was feeding 3 eagles yesterday.  got a great video of two of them sitting on the ice only about 50 yards away talking to each other.  Really neat.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2018, 11:22 AM »

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2018, 11:30 AM »
Release or eat
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline MRC2572

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2018, 12:28 PM »
Not a ton of pike left in RI but love to catch them. Hook me up with a few spots and i would be happy to come catch some for you

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2018, 03:36 PM »
Only if you agree to kill every one you catch.

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2018, 03:55 PM »
Coyote bait.
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2018, 04:15 PM »

Offline Fishteeth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2018, 05:05 PM »
Release over 25 inches, keep and eat everything smaller

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2018, 05:16 PM »
Hit em wit da auger jr

youngmook500

« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2018, 05:26 PM »
The responses were pretty much what I anticipated. Thanks for sharing.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2018, 06:46 PM »
What? You like to stir the pot?  >:D

Nothin' like a NY guy posting about pike on the Maine board... ::) Muhahahahahaha!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

youngmook500

« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2018, 06:55 PM »
What? You like to stir the pot?  >:D

Nothin' like a NY guy posting about pike on the Maine board... ::) Muhahahahahaha!

Hahaha not yet. I'm going to school at umaine and I was curious what most people did with the pike they caught. I've been told by several people to kill em all.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07:46 PM »
You have been given good advice. Pike are an invasive species in Maine waters that are here because of illegal introduction. The most effective way to slow their spread is to kill every one you catch. Anyone who catches and releases a live pike is almost like the person who brought them into our waters. The same is true with crappie and muskellunge. All three have harmed native fish populations.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:17 AM »
You have been given good advice. Pike are an invasive species in Maine waters that are here because of illegal introduction. The most effective way to slow their spread is to kill every one you catch. Anyone who catches and releases a live pike is almost like the person who brought them into our waters. The same is true with crappie and muskellunge. All three have harmed native fish populations.

You sound just as ignorant as the people that introduced invasive species 30-40 years ago.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:39 AM »
You sound just as ignorant as the people that introduced invasive species 30-40 years ago.
Just because they are already here and have been for a while now doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do your part, dont encourage others to go against what is officially recommended. Would you feel the same about seeing other people’s litter and garbage on the ice?  Kick it around a bit, but not actually clean any up? At least with fish that are left out, it will get eaten by scavengers or be recycled back in the water.
If you don’t want to bring it home or leave anything on the ice, a cut to the gills or through the brain then flush em down the hole.... that would be chumming though... just leave them on the ice or take them home for composte or share with those that will eat them.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2018, 01:12 PM »
One female pike can lay up to 225,000 eggs. You can't eliminate pike from any water except a tiny pond but you can slow the population growth by removing them from the breeding pool. Every one makes a difference. If fishing pressure didn't matter there would be no limits on any fish.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2018, 05:54 PM »
Hang on guys.....

OK. It's hot!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Sampson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2018, 06:51 PM »
This is hilarious

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:23 PM »
Oh I would rather have fish on the ice .

Offline bassin207

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2018, 01:10 PM »
Simply put, every body of water in Maine is not appropriate for these kinds of population control measures.

While I do agree with eliminating Pike in waters where they threaten a thriving population of native species, some lakes across the state have already morphed into trophy pike fisheries.

Many of these lakes, such as many in the Belgrade region, are home only to other large or invasive species such as bass or crappie, and only hold small populations, if any, of trout.

It is important to not waste these valuable economic and recreational resources in areas where they are doing no damage.
Pike are Maine's premier gamefish

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2018, 02:14 PM »
Pike and Perch Multiply so fast and easy if the fishermen don't kill or keep everyone they catch there will be no bait for them. by putting them back you are making to many for the feed they need to grow and more will get smaller and smaller.             ( Kill them all the long the short and tall...)

Offline izmir

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2018, 03:05 PM »
If not over 20lbs and Iam not going to mount it , they go back. Once in a blue moon feed one to the eagles if its small.

Offline MadSledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:26 PM »
 I like to eat fish and I like to release fish. That being said, youngmook500 if you catch any pike in the Pushaw Lake or anywhere else in the Penobscot River drainage, please chuck them on the ice. The Penobscot is basically our last chance for saving sea-run Atlantic salmon in the US, and pike numbers are so far still pretty small, but they LOVE to eat little salmon.  However, when I fish down in Sabattus and other waters where pike are absolutley over-run and there aren't any salmon/trout left, I throw them back or keep them as my heart tells me.
Gotta Fishem' All!

Offline Bowdoin Boy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:02 AM »
Release or eat
I wish more Fisherman would take the same Approach as you, I have never understood why someone who loves to fish for them but Kills on Purpose, I guess they think they are Greatest Fisherman in the World and is going Rid the lake of them? Good Luck with Belief.

Offline FlagChasr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:59 AM »
If you like salmon and brook trout better then improve the water quality and management of lakes where they can survive and don’t target them during ice season.
You got to be kidding. The best way to improve management would be to get rid of the illegally introduced evasive Pike. So tired of hearing the “well they’re  here now, so there’s nothing we can do about it.”  What if someone dumped a bunch of poison in a Lake and killed all the fish.... oh well, it’s done, nothing we can do about it.
Kill every Pike!!!

Offline Fishn_guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 21, 2018, 11:40 AM »
Illegally transplanted species is never a good thing.
Mike

Offline Fishn_guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 21, 2018, 11:44 AM »
BTW. whats the best way to bait coyotes with pike? I have a few coming around the property asking for trouble.
Mike

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 21, 2018, 02:14 PM »
Chop them up and let them freeze together into a block in a box or bucket. Then put that block (minus the bucket) out in your shooting lane. That way they can’t just grab up the pieces and will keep coming back for more.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.