The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Cordless drill for Auger  (Read 10304 times)

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cordless drill for Auger
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2018, 07:16 AM »
From experience, hands down best cordless for drilling ice......Milwaukee 2705-22 M18 FUEL. For me so far, this is the best cordless drill for anything. Under $400.
It's not about the fish.................. .

Offline Brianm14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:58 AM »
dont put it in hammer mode unless you looking to buy new blades!

Offline regham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 16, 2018, 01:13 PM »
I Use a Milwaukee  brushless fuel non hammer drill homemade adapter and a metal pie tin on the auger

Offline sloughdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:43 AM »
I’ve heard of guys having issues using and 8” auger or bigger with a drill. Reading this though it sounds doable. Anyone else with an 8” auger and drill setup?  I’m looking for a drill that can handle 8” auger. Thanks!

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:56 AM »
Brushless M18 Fuel, 2702-20, clam plate and 8” mora. No issues

Offline Meatyball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 21, 2018, 05:56 PM »
I'm using an 18v Ryobi drill on a clam plate with a 6" lazer, no issues so far, drilled 10" ice, 20 holes and battery dropped one bar, it does quit though halfway through, let off trigger start again, but Ryobi is junk, I'm just using up tools around my shop, a supplier I deal with has a sale on Milwaukee this month, I'm switching to 18v fuel soon, dependability reasons for work, benefit of using it for ice too, it's a beast of a drill

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:00 PM »
Make sure u get the right one not just a run of the mill m18?

Offline fish chucker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 21, 2018, 07:55 PM »
I have a ryobi hammer drill with a nils electric drill auger and 4 amp lithium ion batteries...have drilled 30 plus holes through 9 inches of ice each of the last 3 days. Still have half a charge on the batteries at the end of the day and the auger goes through the ice like a hot knife through butter.

Offline Ice.rat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:43 AM »
thanks crappiehunter for the info checked it out and going to order one. does it work well for you.already have a rigid drill.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:40 AM »
Nobody said a picture hanger drill won’t work, they just won’t last as long !!   A moped will get u there, they just won’t last 100,000 miles!!

Offline sloughdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:27 AM »
Milwaukee 2702-20 or 2705-22?  Definitely going with the Milwaukee.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:41 AM »
Nobody said a picture hanger drill won’t work, they just won’t last as long !!   A moped will get u there, they just won’t last 100,000 miles!!

Ha---that's the exact reason I bought my first drill---corded. So I'll ask m sill question here.

I have a DeWalt 18 v  DC759. I can't  determine what the torque rating is and the batt is rated for 1.2 A-H as far as I can tell. I don't have an need for a better drill at home. I am thinking of buying a Clam plate but is it worth it?
Keep yer stick on the ice!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2018, 12:12 PM »

Ha---that's the exact reason I bought my first drill---corded. So I'll ask m sill question here.

I have a DeWalt 18 v  DC759. I can't  determine what the torque rating is and the batt is rated for 1.2 A-H as far as I can tell. I don't have an need for a better drill at home. I am thinking of buying a Clam plate but is it worth it?
Don't think you would be happy with that combo.  That drill, without the plate, won't do the job.  I don't know about with a Clam Plate; definitely not, unless it has some sort of reduction.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 22, 2018, 12:50 PM »
Dewalt don’t rate their drills, for some reason, maybe don’t want guys comparing them !!

Offline PymyProwler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:13 PM »
What do you guys use as a safety against the auger coming out of the drill chuck and falling into the hole? I just got the adapter and i'm worried about losing my auger if it comes undone.

Offline Brianm14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:14 PM »
i dont think that enough drill/battery to it for ya.

Offline Brianm14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:14 PM »
what kind of adapter? 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:41 PM »
What do you guys use as a safety against the auger coming out of the drill chuck and falling into the hole? I just got the adapter and i'm worried about losing my auger if it comes undone.
.        Clam plate problem solved, bolts right to plate

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:43 PM »
Clam plate heals all

Offline Brianm14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:45 PM »
i have a kovac adapter.. $25 or $40 for the nils specific adapter .. had a tough elastic bungee the goes around the drill... cheaper than a clam plate and seems it would be and easier on and off when needed

Offline Schlegs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:27 AM »
Milwaukee 2703-22 hands down works like it claims. I put this with a 8” k drill and cut 25 holes thru 8” of ice like butter and only used 1 bar out of 4 on a battery. We tried our existing hand drills and they cut real slow thru 4” so I upgraded, made a huge difference.

Offline regham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:51 AM »
[/quot] I use a tin pie plate / old metal frying pan with handle removed. With a Milwaukee  fuel drill works great on a 6" auger.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:35 AM »

I have the Milwaukee Fuel with HT adapter and Mora auger combo. Don't use any safety. That chuck clamps down tight!  :o  You have to make many revolutions to unscrew it to a point where it will release the auger. I started using it last year with the plans of getting something as a safety, but after using it several times realized it is not needed.

ANd, I figure if the unthinkable ever does happen and I lose my 20 yr old Mora, it will be the perfect excuse to upgrade to a K-drill!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:43 AM »
I have the Milwaukee Fuel with HT adapter and Mora auger combo. Don't use any safety. That chuck clamps down tight!  :o  You have to make many revolutions to unscrew it to a point where it will release the auger. I started using it last year with the plans of getting something as a safety, but after using it several times realized it is not needed.

ANd, I figure if the unthinkable ever does happen and I lose my 20 yr old Mora, it will be the perfect excuse to upgrade to a K-drill!  ;)
.        I know a guy that said the same thing, and after fishing his auger out of 20’ water, with a 4x4’ hole and freezing his ass off, with a magnet he lucked out and got it back. He now has the clam plate !!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:56 PM »
You don't understand Gills................. ...................... ...........if I ever lose that 20 yr old mora, I don't want it back!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:07 PM »
Just leave it on the lake then, tell the old lady u are senile and buy a new one !!

Offline frmboybuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 25, 2018, 08:26 AM »
Milwaukee 2702-20 or 2705-22?  Definitely going with the Milwaukee.
2702 is only a picture hanging drill. The 2703, 2704, or 2705 all have 1200 in/lb of torque and will be the best bet for drilling ice I have both the 03 and 04. The 03 stays on my clam plate year around. The 04 I use in my shop.

Offline Pork

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 25, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Bosch 36v LI, hooked to an ice kicker 2, turning a 6" or 8" mora, depending on what I'm fishing.
I have no complaints.
If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes. ;)

Offline meat snack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Jan 26, 2018, 07:12 PM »
I use a 28V Dewalt on a six inch Eskimo.

Offline dipNrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 27, 2018, 07:10 AM »

As long your adapter has adjustability, meaning there are extra holes on the adapter is pretty easy. A 12” piece of all thread and two nylon coated nuts. Just center the all thread and tighten the night on each side.
  About $4 at home depot

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.