New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Fires on ice?  (Read 7127 times)

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fires on ice?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:07 AM »
Leave the campfires for summer. I see no practical reason for one
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #61 on: Jan 22, 2018, 12:25 PM »

, only thing I’ll say about the fires is if I had a camp I really wouldnt want it washing up on my shore or lawn  , mommy isn’t here to pic up your 💩 so take it with you pretty simple i think

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:42 AM »
We have had cars go through on Irondequoit Bay over the years.  DEC has ticketed the drivers for polluting the bay if the gas or oil leaks out, and the owner of the vehicle is responsible for getting it out, which generally costs a pretty penny.

I used to fish Quaker Lake in PA just south of the state line south of Binghamton.  The shoreline property owners hated icefishers because everything that was left on the ice became trash in their front yard when the ice melted.  They were constantly trying to get PA to prohibit ice fishing on the lake.  Trees don't lose half burnt chunks of wood in windstorms.  In NYS, if you are accessing from a Fishing access site, or launch, there is a prohibition on fires in the access area, since that is the only public access to the water surface , it might be construed that the prohibition extends to the public water surface. This would be a good question for a Regional Office to answer, but it might make for better angler landowner relations to get a heater, or just dress warmly enough for conditions, a lot of the folks that pay the high taxes for waterfront are very resentful of their winter visitors.  :) :) :)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #63 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:54 AM »
I actually think this fire was  started bye area landowners they had one last year and party .... I have never  seen trash left on otisco  and  I have never ran into a mean or bad person ....I talk to a few land owners walking their dogs and I don't think theres a problem .........

Offline Icejunky468

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If you ain't fishing you ain't catching
« Reply #64 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:58 AM »
the reason you  cant't  melt  a  hole threw  is  because  the  ice  around  the area  and  the  water below  is  so  cold  it  keeps the  ice  frozen .... it's the  same  with a  water  bootle  filled with water   you  can boil water in a  plastic  bottle and  not melt the bottle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLa9mxrrrsc

ya might leave some ashes  but your not going to damage the ice

Trapper where you on Otisco Sunday?.
I think we need a bigger boat!!!!🐠🐟🐡🐬🐳🐋

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #65 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:59 AM »
we were there!!!!

Offline Mack2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:05 AM »
Leave the campfires for summer. I see no practical reason for one

There's no practical/economical reason to ice fish either, we do these kind of things because we enjoy it.

And before you say you fish for the food, I'd like to preemptively reply.... If you are being practical get a weekend job or a second job, or just a job, that would be a much more practical use of you're time. You'd make form more money than you'd be saving by catching you're own fish, you could even buy locally caught fish and you'd still be ahead....

Offline Icejunky468

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:24 AM »
we were there!!!!
s

Just wanna say thanks to yourself and Dan caught my first tiger and had some good convo with both of you!!  Any idea of conditions out there currently?.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:02 AM »
lol love some of the comments. If you want a fire, have a fire. Just dont leave a mess. There is 12" + of ice on most bodies of water if it melts 3" who cares. A shore line is like a front yard in the spring it gets cleaned up, again dont litter.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #69 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:34 AM »
Good one lil_coondog! Dump this thread in our laps, then sit back and watch the comedy. You ever have your fire?  :P

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #70 on: Jan 23, 2018, 02:06 PM »
There's no practical/economical reason to ice fish either, we do these kind of things because we enjoy it.

And before you say you fish for the food, I'd like to preemptively reply.... If you are being practical get a weekend job or a second job, or just a job, that would be a much more practical use of you're time. You'd make form more money than you'd be saving by catching you're own fish, you could even buy locally caught fish and you'd still be ahead....
  i have to agree about doing things because you like then however i have made good money fishing ascwell not to mention filled myvfreezor

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 23, 2018, 02:28 PM »
Wow some of you are a bit ridiculous I am guessing some of you aren't being serious. You can't really be worried about a couple chunks of burnt wood floating around in the spring. And a fire will not melt a hole through the ice. Think about it for just a second as soon as the ice melts what happens it turns to water and what does water do it puts out fire. So you end up with a layer of wet ash in between the fire and the ice which essentially insulates the ice.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Jan 23, 2018, 02:40 PM »
I don't mind picking up some half burned logs on my beach in the spring. I just toss them on my wood pile. What I DO mind is Propane bottles. Cigarette packs. Mountain Dew bottles. Plastic bags with garbage, or worse. poop. McDonalds cups...........
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Jan 23, 2018, 02:44 PM »
s

Just wanna say thanks to yourself and Dan caught my first tiger and had some good convo with both of you!!  Any idea of conditions out there currently?.
I was there too. So your the guy fishing near trapper,Dan,and me and my buddy?

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Jan 23, 2018, 02:54 PM »
s

Just wanna say thanks to yourself and Dan caught my first tiger and had some good convo with both of you!!  Any idea of conditions out there currently?.....no idea how the ice is after the rain and warm temps ..glad you got you got your first tiger that was a nice fish ...

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 23, 2018, 03:43 PM »
I don't mind picking up some half burned logs on my beach in the spring. I just toss them on my wood pile. What I DO mind is Propane bottles. Cigarette packs. Mountain Dew bottles. Plastic bags with garbage, or worse. poop. McDonalds cups...........
...you found poop in a cup...lol this can be a combo thread poopin on ice or in a cup or fires lol poop in a cup...i about spit my coffee out on that one

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Jan 23, 2018, 04:23 PM »
When ever I find poop on the ice I always take a picture and send it to my wife lol

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #77 on: Jan 23, 2018, 05:07 PM »
icejunkie  was nice to met you also buddy

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Jan 23, 2018, 05:35 PM »
Never had a fire on the ice. I'm not opposed to it- it actually sounds like fun. I just have enough crap to drag out as it is without 200 lbs of lumber too!
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #79 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:03 PM »
...you found poop in a cup...lol this can be a combo thread poopin on ice or in a cup or fires lol poop in a cup...i about spit my coffee out on that one

omg that killer weed messed him up he's  laughing at his own jokes .....

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Trapper ur stoned that was quote from someone its funny though freddy said there was a poopin on the ice thread though

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #81 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:31 PM »
Trapper ur stoned that was quote from someone its funny though freddy said there was a poopin on the ice thread though

there was a few years ago ...all  the prima donna's where up in arms someone pooped in a hole and  some guy tried reopening the hole............sugges tions ranged from  running to a gas station to pooping in a plastic bag and taking  it home ....I just poop next to the beaver and muskrat poop my self

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:36 PM »
When we belonged to boy scouts we use to have fires and sleep on the ice used straw for barrier
McPerch

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:51 PM »
Went from poopin in a cup to beaver holes to sleeping on straw....now straw is a good place to poop

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:59 PM »
Went from poopin in a cup to beaver holes to sleeping on straw....now straw is a good place to poop

Whatever you do, don't Google any of that.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:01 PM »
Whatever you do, don't Google any of that.

....hmmmmm

Offline Icejunky468

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:19 PM »
I guess my next time out I'm pooping in a cup next to a muskrat/beaver poop then putting it in a hole taking a nap on straw and reopening the hole the following week right after I build a fire with pallets with plenty of nails in them!!!!

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:24 PM »
I'll poop in big guys shanty. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:29 PM »
Go back to sleep al ;D..next yr maybe

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #89 on: Jan 24, 2018, 05:53 AM »
I guess my next time out I'm pooping in a cup next to a muskrat/beaver poop then putting it in a hole taking a nap on straw and reopening the hole the following week right after I build a fire with pallets with plenty of nails in them!!!!

you have learned well young jedi

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.