The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Walleye  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Rangerphil

• Team IceShanty Regular
Walleye
« on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:32 AM »
Hey all I have never caught any walleye through the ice and would love to get into some. I’m from south western PA but willing to drive a couple of hours to find some. Any lakes where I can go after them? Thanks all!!

Offline fishon814

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:01 AM »
Deep creek lake...........theyre into them pretty good down there this year!

Offline Crappiehunter1981

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:39 AM »
Heading to Deep Creek Today.......  this will be the first time Ive ever fished it.  I will scout it out and if its good we will have to make the trip..

Offline Rangerphil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:54 AM »
Fished deep creek a lot open water it is a great fishery with monster perch the problem with there is access to the ice. Plus the nonresident fee for license.

Offline Crappiehunter1981

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2018, 04:14 AM »
$50.00 crazy.  But it is good for a year.   I have heard so many great things about it.  Hopefully this will work out and the license will be worth it.  It looks like a great place to take the yak in the spring.

Offline randy-hartstein501

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2018, 08:18 AM »
where is it MD

Offline Rangerphil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2018, 01:56 PM »
Yes deep creek lake is in Maryland. I am looking for lakes in PA to target walleye!!

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2018, 04:07 PM »
where is it MD
Randy, It's in the western end off of Interstate 64 and rte. 219. Just under 4,000 acres but is a tremendous fishery. As someone else posted access to the lake is the primary problem because so much of the frontage is privately owned. It really limits where you can park and enter the lake. There is a State park area where a lot of people fish but there are a lot of spots that are way too far to walk from there. Hope this helps.    Lou

Offline Jostrander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2018, 05:39 PM »
I've fished there in previous years. Biggest perch is 16". Legit no lie. Only got small walleye. Green glade was where I always fished but the access has been cut off as far as I know. You can access the lake from town also.

Offline dbowman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:42 AM »
I also would love to find a lake in PA that you can pull some walleyes out of. I'm from North Central Pa and am also willing to travel a few hours to fish a good lake for walleyes.

Offline digdog23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:32 AM »
Friends have been catching big eyes out of Wallenpaupack. 

Offline Rangerphil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2018, 01:43 PM »
Thanks

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:04 PM »

Any tips on what to use and where to start?  I've never caught a Walleye or fished Wallenpaupack.

Offline smally hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:56 PM »
Your fishing for coveted information . I'm not trying to sound like a jerk , but your just as likely to figure it out yourself than get public info. Hopefully you get pms. Check out indepthoutdoors on YouTube. I imagine alot of tactics/baits would work. I have yet to catch a walleye through the ice . Ppl I know that do catch them I can narrow down their lure choice as follows.  1/8 ounce or bigger spoons , just about any vibration lure(sonars,cicadas)And jigging rapalas.  Use the reports and conditions pages to your advantage . All of them have some provided species list for that lake . If walleye is on there yoiu can take that along with some legwork and luck and maybe produce a walleye . To really narrow your search I'd check out  walleye stocking info provided on the fish commission website. Now my thought if I were to actually target and pursue walleye I'd  choose Wilhelm or pymatuning. I do not have first hand experience successfully fishing them for walleye but I know ppl who do  . From them I'm at the least confident there is a targetable population . Catching lake walleyes is truly a task, ice or not. Ppl who are the most successful general didn't get there by luck . Hope this helps.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2018, 06:20 AM »
Any tips on what to use and where to start?  I've never caught a Walleye or fished Wallenpaupack.
Chris,the pac has a great population of eyes.years ago 40 plus years we caught eyes threw the ice everyday.its a big lake.
I would suggest big livebait on tipups,JIGGING rap jigs from Rapala,with a shiners head on the middle hook for JIGGING.
Lake Carey is another goid eye lake.traps at nite with med to lg.shiners.
Keep the lanterns away from the holes.
Use bells or lites tip ups.
The eyes in Carey seem to be lite shy.
Just my OPINION.
Good luck brother,,,you'll never catch 1 if you don't try.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:42 AM »
I  jigged up my first eye last year. Caught it on a northland tungsten gold spoon. Tipped with a rosey red tail. in 44 fow. 2 people I know have caught their first eye recently. 1st was on a tip up & the other not sure.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:26 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys, I greatly appreciate it.

Offline fatboy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2018, 10:49 AM »
Would love to get one thru the ice might try Lake Carey sometime struck out a Sylvan on Sunday. 

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:16 AM »
For what it's worth, if anyone is looking for walleye in southeast PA, you may want to check out Falls Township Park in Bucks County.  It's an old quarry that was converted into a very nice public park.  The lake has a number of species including a fishable population of walleyes.  HOWEVER - ice fishing is not permitted.  Shore and boats only (no wading). 

Offline fatboy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2018, 12:14 PM »
For what it's worth, if anyone is looking for walleye in southeast PA, you may want to check out Falls Township Park in Bucks County.  It's an old quarry that was converted into a very nice public park.  The lake has a number of species including a fishable population of walleyes.  HOWEVER - ice fishing is not permitted.  Shore and boats only (no wading).

Interesting I may have to try it in the spring sometime.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2018, 01:07 PM »
Lots to do there (paved bike trails, picnic areas, volleyball court, skateboard park, dog park, ball fields, etc.) so bring the whole family. Just one more note, since it is a township park, it closes at sunset so no night fishing for eyes.  You may want to pick an overcast day for better results.  Species in the lake include gills, perch, crappies, LMs, SMs, walleye, pickerel and tiger muskies. 

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:07 AM »
If you fish the Pack, try the channel. I saw a bunch of fish stacked up there in Nov. They probably were walleye waiting for a school of allwife. But, I saw somewhere the fish on the bottom are feeding.
AKA Dinkmaster

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.