Author Topic: Cameras  (Read 1667 times)

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
Cameras
« on: Jan 09, 2018, 03:15 PM »
Never owned one. Cant find the crappie so now I want/need one. lol

I own a Marcum LX3tc for a flasher and love it. I am looking at the Marcum 5+ Recon. Any thoughts, likes or dislikes?
Just add water.

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cameras
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2018, 03:39 PM »
I like mine, I set it up as a battery box too to help consolidate stuff a little.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:31 PM »
Have the AV Micro 5 dvr, wouldn't go without it.  Flasher tells you there's fish down there, camera shows what kind. Recording lets you take in the action with buddies and beer later, really the one that got away, honest.

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:26 PM »
I have the Marcum VS485C - just bought it this season and only used it yesterday for the first time.  I was in 4 FOW and the camera was 3' away - normally sight fish in this location - I only saw 1 fish through the hole but saw a bunch of near my lure with the camera.  Was in low light (4 to 5:15pm) and saw everything. More than impressed...
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline Cliodiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:47 PM »
Cameras , in general, are a valuable tool. I have recon5 and it works great. With that said, I would recommend the 5+ because of the depth and especially direction read out. DVD would be a plus but not necessary. I think the plus would be worth the extra cost.

Offline walleyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Em !!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:16 PM »
Just got a Aqua Vu 715c for Christmas. Only had it out once so far. Seems to be a good unit, I was surprised at how well the picture is later in the day as the sun set. Nice compact unit, battery seems to go for ever.
Westerner by birth, Canadian by law, Albertan by the grace of God.

Offline fleasimbeck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:55 PM »
I got the aqua vu 5.0 for x-mass.  Love it. Used it 2x.  Small compact.  Surprised how much I could see in stained water with the inferred light.  I wouldn't fish without my vexlar, but the camera out fished it last time out.  Water was real clear. Used it straight  down. 

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2018, 09:29 AM »
I am considering the Marcum Recon 5+. How is the screen during the day? I like to drill a bunch of holes when panfishing so i would use the camera to see what fish are down there and then my flasher to catch them. Just hoping glare isnt bad while the sun is out. Also, anyone use it at night? Hoping to pull the trigger on this unit today.
Just add water.

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:07 AM »
I've been interested in the Recon as well would like to know same questions Sharps asked.

Offline beast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:51 AM »
My buddy has a Recon and loves it, but we're finding if he turns the light on,(even at low setting) the fish scatter and we're done for the night, anyone experience this?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:05 AM »
If I had a buddy that did that he’d be fishing solo lol:)

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:48 AM »
Bump - Anyone have any more info to my last question ? Looking to order one today if I get a few more positive posts. Please and thank you.
Just add water.

Offline bgabel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:03 AM »
I just got the AquaVu Micro 2 and seems to work well.  Used it twice once on a small pond with bad clarity and once on a lake with decent clarity and I could see a good distance.  Helped me find PFBC structures and realize they didn't hold any fish on them.  Made a move and found fish on a downed tree.  Set it straight down and watched fish after fish hit my bait, was amazed at how many crappie I missed setting the hook on.  Battery lasts forever so far as well only charged it once and still had half a battery left. 

Word of caution don't set it up too close to your hole without somehow securing it.  I hooked a big crappie which ran my line into the hook on the camera and pulled it down the hole. Luckily I was somehow able to grab it under water.  Camera still worked the rest of the day.  Just as a precaution I put it into a bag of rice to help dry it out since the charging port isn't covered and there was water in it.

I used to have a larger Marcum tha twas a pain to use due to bulkiness, this unit fits in the pocket and is super simple to use.

Would definitely recommend it.
Fish on!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:12 AM »
bgabel,

This is good info! I know you are using the aqua view but i am sure the Marcum is very similar. As far as your tip to secure it, i would only use the camera to see what the bottom structure layout is as well as if there are any fish. If its a good spot i would remove the camera and then drop down my flasher and fish it as i do now. For me, it would be a fish and structure finder over watching the fish hit. I fish mostly during the day with out a pop up so i am hoping the clarity of the screen is good with the sun out.
Just add water.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:13 AM »
I have the ORIGINAL Aqua View Z series. Still works ok. There are many factors on the usefulness. 

First is water clarity. 3 to 5 feet minimum.  I have on occasion fished with the cameras 7 feet away from my presentation.  Took a few tries to get it pointed in the right direction. 

Second is ambient light. Today's cameras can see better then your eye in dim light. The infrared lights on mine do not broadcast very far in water. The problem is they usually just illuminate the particals floating around. So I don't rely on them.

Third is how you put it to use. Like any tool, it depends on how the user puts it to work. I like watching fish bite. It helps me refine my presentation.  I use it to see why fish seem to hang around a certain area. Usually it ends up being a transition of some sort. Rock to sand. Sand to clay. Clay to mud. And so on. Then you use your camera to find other areas that are simular, you can cut down on your search time.

Downsides? There are some other then mentioned.
For instance.... As mentioned, it's something hang g on the water for a fish to tangle your line around.

I got into a school of Perch one day. The little bastages ignored my presentation and were more interested in the camera. They would swim up to the lens, stop and look at it, then bump it with their noses! I guess they were seeing their reflection in the lens? Don't know. It was funny and irritating at the same time.

Another day I was deadsticking with live minnows. The minnow would swim out of the camera view, then drift back into view. During one of its rest periods I seen a large walleye swim up to it very quickly, then stopped to look at it. I thought Oh Boy! It's on now! WRONG! As soon as the minnow started to swim, the walleye bolted and was never seen again. To this day I can't explain that.

It can be a toy, or a useful tool. It depends on you. And today technology is far better then when I bought mine.

You will also have to learn not to anticipate the bite. When watching on camera, you tend to set the hook too soon. I've missed many Saugeye by being to quick.

May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2018, 11:46 AM »
I have a Recon 5 and love it, however I only use mine in my shack.

I tried briefly to use it out in the open but couldn't see anything on the screen with the brightness of the outside.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2018, 12:23 PM »
I have a Recon 5 and love it, however I only use mine in my shack.

I tried briefly to use it out in the open but couldn't see anything on the screen with the brightness of the outside.

This is what worries me the most. Because i run and gun so much i dont use a pop up. I want to drill 10 holes and see what is down there. If nothing i will keep moving. Most of the time its sunny outside and i want to be able to see my screen if i am paying over $400 for a camera.
Just add water.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2018, 12:55 PM »
I have a Marcum and I really like it and I have used it outside, I just have to give it a little shade
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2018, 02:31 PM »
I to want to buy a camera ,but want to use it in my shanty connected to a 24 inch flat screen , which models have a video out port ?

Offline celtbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2018, 04:18 PM »
My marcum 825 has a video out...  I think most other marcum cameras do as well, maybe not the tiny pocket size ones
Let it freeze

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2018, 04:45 PM »
I used to love scouting with my camera when I fished places with clear water.   Now I fish a place with very poor visibility and have found cameras next to useless in those conditions.  I tried with both an older AquaVu and a newer Marcum and had the same results with both, so I assume that nothing will be able to see through clouds of plankton.

As long as you have reasonably clear water, you'll love scouting with it.   There's nothing like being able to see exactly what's down there before you commit to fishing an area.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:27 PM »
AV micro 5 has video out but only in real time, can't view recorded vids on the big screen till you download to computer.  Kind of a bummer but easy enough to live with.

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2018, 12:22 AM »
I have an ancient aqauview that is too big to fish down an ice hole.  Used it at night off a house boat with a green light to catch stripers.

I’m ready to get an ice fishing camera but need to look for one with a light, long cable and a directional read out.  Any suggestions?

Offline celtbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2018, 06:35 AM »
Marcum 825 has a 75ft cable, light, directional, temperature, and depth
Let it freeze

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2018, 07:46 AM »
Thanks... I’ll take a look at ‘em

Offline ticktoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2018, 02:35 PM »
I have the aqua vu 760cz. It gives you depth temp and direction and is color. I like using it to find structure and if fish are showing up on the flasher and not biting. It’s nice to see what the reaction is to different techniques. It saved me a few times fish was coming up to my bait and sucking it in and spitting it out so fast. That a spring bobber or floating bobber didn’t pick it up. After I set it up I limited out on perch in no time. One thing I can say with the light is after dark the light seems to just pick up things in the water and cuts the distance big time. Overall I like it and would recommend one. I usually drill two holes apart depending on water clarity to try and avoid tangles

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2018, 02:51 PM »
I have an Aqua-Vu Micro 5.0 with DVR and love it - but a stand makes it better.

A key point that really makes a difference is an automated directional stand like the Aqua-Vu Mo-Pod 3 that should work for any camera with a cable. A push of a button on the remote and your camera pans around.

Saves time when trying to get things set up, especially when very cold. Hate fiddling with cables outside in -20 in the wind with bare fingers.

If you set up your camera hole 6-10 feet away from your fishing hole and are in a shed it is annoying to get the camera properly "aimed" for fishing. Also I have had fish bump it and move it off target. the directional stand is fast, easy and keeps fingers warm.
Veritas Odium Parit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.