Author Topic: Finally pulled the trigger on new ION X  (Read 7325 times)

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Finally pulled the trigger on new ION X
« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2018, 04:11 AM »
I wonder if this might just be an issue with the 10"?. I haven't heard anyone with the 8" having a problem. Mine has worked fine.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 10, 2018, 06:52 AM »
Was wondering the same.
Salmonemia

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2018, 09:20 AM »
I think it's either just a bad bit or blades, the reason it won't cut for me.  As another issue, from what I see a possible design flaw with the new centering ring holding the slush. Because in my short time with it I found the auger doesn't really spin fast enough to throw the ice or slush buildup out of the ring.
I've found it's literally impossible to reach Ion or Ardisam!!!! I've dialed all 3 numbers   at least 50 times each day since Monday, no response! I was thinking of just shelling out the dough for new blades yo see if it fixes it for now, but nobody has them right now. Vendors have the whole auger in stock but not just the bottom ring or blades.
If I can't reach them by tomorrow I'm probably sending it back to my vendor and going back to a Jiffy. I'm that fed up. Ive never experienced customer service so bad.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 10, 2018, 09:51 AM »
If you end up returning the ion id check out a k-drill setup. They don’t have a ten inch blade but boy is it nice to drill tandem holes.

Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline FSH4FN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:30 AM »
I think it's either just a bad bit or blades, the reason it won't cut for me.  As another issue, from what I see a possible design flaw with the new centering ring holding the slush. Because in my short time with it I found the auger doesn't really spin fast enough to throw the ice or slush buildup out of the ring.
I've found it's literally impossible to reach Ion or Ardisam!!!! I've dialed all 3 numbers   at least 50 times each day since Monday, no response! I was thinking of just shelling out the dough for new blades yo see if it fixes it for now, but nobody has them right now. Vendors have the whole auger in stock but not just the bottom ring or blades.
If I can't reach them by tomorrow I'm probably sending it back to my vendor and going back to a Jiffy. I'm that fed up. Ive never experienced customer service so bad.

Sorry to hear of the troubles. I bought an Ion X 10" last season and have used it quite a bit. It has always worked great with no issues! I will say though that the lowest temperature I've been out in using was around 0F. I'm not sure I've been out in negative weather with high winds before. Could've been an issue with the blades or alignment out of the box maybe. It's too bad you can't get a hold of the company. Did you try emailing as well, you probably have but just curious?

Chad

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #35 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:10 PM »
going back to a Jiffy...now we are talking...put my old girl in a ice cutting contest any day...
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 10, 2018, 06:39 PM »
Blades on the 8" I wonder why they changed them on the 10".

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 10, 2018, 06:41 PM »
going back to a Jiffy...now we are talking...put my old girl in a ice cutting contest any day...

Jibbs the ION is built for comfort not for speed.  ;D

Offline Oz 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2018, 09:46 AM »
Used my new 8 inch three times- It does skip or travel a bit on glare ice. Not a huge thing- I was used to the spear point drill on the Jiffys for a long time now. So that took a minute to get used to.
Also in -12 temps the blades iced up to an unusable situation. They "clogged' two or three times: Could not clear the ice from the blades by hand- and // At a glance I say- don't touch those blades.. they seem sharp as anything//.. - Had to put the the blades next to the buddy, soften the ice which froze on like concrete and clear the heads before cutting a fresh batch of holes - I still like it. I want to sell my current Jiffy. Wont be negative 12 that often and I'll google tips to stop that happening (reverse a second before setting down?) bet there is some ez way I dont know yet.

Ion =Light, quiet, easy, get drilling in an instant, and lasts all day on the coldest days. -- smells lovely compared to what I'm used to.

(sounds like I want to 'date' it)

Small advantage can pop holes inside the shelter (without any moves or venting assistance) with nay smoke to clear . Its nice.

Offline Jadler311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:17 AM »
I just got the new Ion X 8'' myself and have been loving it. Went out this past weekend and had no problems even with all the snow and slush. The convenience of a 22lb auger with no leaks, smells, sounds, etc. is really something to behold!

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #40 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:41 AM »
Jibbs the ION is built for comfort not for speed.  ;D
haha...drilling contest on espn 2
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 11, 2018, 11:00 AM »
Hehe....Jibbs, sounds like you want to start the 1st Annual NH IS Drilloff!!
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2018, 11:20 AM »
So ION/Ardisam FINALLY got back to me this morning. I have to admit as po'd as I was about not being able to reach them for 5 days, the woman I spoke with was very kind and helpful, especially because I was pretty heated.
They are sending me a new 10" auger bit, so we'll see what happens. Sounds like I just got a bad one(what are the chances) and that most others on here have had no issues. Thanks for chiming in everyone, helped me keep the faith that they are for the most part actually a good product.
Downside is the new one, they said won't be here till next week.
The Jiffy will get one more run this weekend!

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 11, 2018, 11:45 AM »
We have the ion for 3rd season, not without issue. Crappy original blades. They replaced them 2xs. Good customer service. Safety switch had to be disabled and modification to the trigger to make it work... But we do love it in the end. Going strong now...

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:14 PM »
 mine bounced off the cradle yesterday ( I neglected to strap it down) @15 miles an hour and I ran it over with my wheeler...it came out the back in one piece and unscathed...I even had the blade protector off... it cut holes as good as day one... my Jiffy with the composite gear case never would have survived ( I had to replace the gear case from a lesser "accident".. so in the last 2 weeks my 8" Ion has been run over by a Sportsman 570 and drilled into a gravel bed ( twice) fished in sub zero weather  and it is like a timex watch( takes a licking and keeps on ticking)... my 80's vintage model 30 could take that kind of abuse... my newer Jiffy STX would not...and for Icing.. those little claw blades on the drill point of the STX are horrible...  I used to carry a small propane torch to de-ice the "claws".. when they are ice free the are fast.. but once the ice up... the rig bucks like a wild Bronco..

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:24 PM »
So ION/Ardisam FINALLY got back to me this morning. I have to admit as po'd as I was about not being able to reach them for 5 days, the woman I spoke with was very kind and helpful, especially because I was pretty heated.
They are sending me a new 10" auger bit, so we'll see what happens. Sounds like I just got a bad one(what are the chances) and that most others on here have had no issues. Thanks for chiming in everyone, helped me keep the faith that they are for the most part actually a good product.
Downside is the new one, they said won't be here till next week.
The Jiffy will get one more run this weekend!

Thanks for the follow up report! Hopefully it all works out well for you.

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #46 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:37 PM »
Ever try peeing on the blades when they ice up?

Offline Oz 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:57 PM »
No had not considered peeing on my auger. ha ha maybe next time.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #48 on: Jan 11, 2018, 01:00 PM »
No had not considered peeing on my auger. ha ha maybe next time.

Don’t slip and fall....that would be a story you’d hate to tell  :roflmao:
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 11, 2018, 01:01 PM »
I’ll go to my grave with my tank ..I’m sure everything will be fine once the weather gets better..good luck

I'm with Jibbs, got a Nils 8" i use with a drill for in the house.  Have friends who have a few electrics with mixed results.  Never had issues with my tank and the auger caddy setup on the back of the wheeler can't be beat.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 11, 2018, 04:06 PM »
mine bounced off the cradle yesterday ( I neglected to strap it down) @15 miles an hour and I ran it over with my wheeler...it came out the back in one piece and unscathed...I even had the blade protector off... it cut holes as good as day one... my Jiffy with the composite gear case never would have survived ( I had to replace the gear case from a lesser "accident".. so in the last 2 weeks my 8" Ion has been run over by a Sportsman 570 and drilled into a gravel bed ( twice) fished in sub zero weather  and it is like a timex watch( takes a licking and keeps on ticking)... my 80's vintage model 30 could take that kind of abuse... my newer Jiffy STX would not...and for Icing.. those little claw blades on the drill point of the STX are horrible...  I used to carry a small propane torch to de-ice the "claws".. when they are ice free the are fast.. but once the ice up... the rig bucks like a wild Bronco..

Joe that is 60's moments if I ever saw one. Don't feel like you are alone I had a few today.  ;D

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 11, 2018, 04:23 PM »

Ouch!!
Good to know that they'll take a lickin...

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 11, 2018, 04:34 PM »
I was so impressed, that I had to share this. ....So the vendor I bought the Ion from was FishUSA, I've always had great things to say when ordering in the past.
They called me today to see how things were going with reaching ION(theyve actually called ME several times this week concerned of the situation) I told them they were sending a new bit, but it wouldn't be here till next Thursday.
Get this....they said "we understand the trouble you've  had with the unit and that's unacceptable, we're shipping a whole new auger to you tonight, you'll be on the ice with it by noon tomorrow. We will deal with Ion".
Wow! Now that's customer service!!...just a plug for those at FishUSA. I can't say enough good about them.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 11, 2018, 04:40 PM »
Wow, thanks for sharing your story and big congrats to FishUSA for stepping up for you!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 11, 2018, 04:42 PM »
Wow... that is special... nice of them to step up... puts them on an approved vendor list in my book for sure.

Good luck with the replacement.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 11, 2018, 04:42 PM »
Awesome. Good luck ripping holes.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Jan 11, 2018, 04:50 PM »
That’s service. Love it. Glad your story seems to be approaching a happy end. Let us know how it works out in future conditions. I’m kind of thinking about one as well, but want a 10”, and am thinking it might be a good idea to wait a few generations for technical advancement.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 11, 2018, 05:07 PM »
I was so impressed, that I had to share this. ....So the vendor I bought the Ion from was FishUSA, I've always had great things to say when ordering in the past.
They called me today to see how things were going with reaching ION(theyve actually called ME several times this week concerned of the situation) I told them they were sending a new bit, but it wouldn't be here till next Thursday.
Get this....they said "we understand the trouble you've  had with the unit and that's unacceptable, we're shipping a whole new auger to you tonight, you'll be on the ice with it by noon tomorrow. We will deal with Ion".
Wow! Now that's customer service!!...just a plug for those at FishUSA. I can't say enough good about them.

WOW, that is some great customer service! Mine shows up tomorrow night from another vendor,hopefully my 10" cuts alright ! I'm glad you got your issues finally resolved. Are there any tips for cutting with an auger that doesn't have the starter chisel tip like a Jiffy ?

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 11, 2018, 05:14 PM »
That’s service. Love it. Glad your story seems to be approaching a happy end. Let us know how it works out in future conditions. I’m kind of thinking about one as well, but want a 10”, and am thinking it might be a good idea to wait a few generations for technical advancement.

The OP has the 10” model.

Also on FishUSA, I have also had fantastic experiences with their customer service.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 11, 2018, 05:15 PM »

Do you remember the Turtle and the Hare story?  ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.