The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: St. Albans mid bay 12/30  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Hideebeez

• Team IceShanty Regular
St. Albans mid bay 12/30
« on: Dec 31, 2017, 06:52 AM »
After a mellow day friday in the inner bay i decided to fish out at the boat launch at mid bay.   I set up in 12 fow not far from the launch and was fishing at 11 am.   Using mostly rapala darter type minnows  and lindy rattlin flyers. Tipped both with either spikes or gulp minnow heads in natural shiner.  I yielded half a bucket of yellows from 7 and a half up to 11 inches.  I did not chase them around either. Had alot of dinks so i decided to throw one on a treble and see who else wanted to play down there.
 Sure enough after an hour or so my rod went south fast next to me.  And landed this 30 inch pike.  Sweet!  She went back in to grow bigger. 
All in all a better day today and was off the ice at 4pm before dark.  Ice was black and i had about 8 inches of ice.  I did see a truck out on inner bay area. And just shook my head and said "nope!"

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
Re: St. Albans mid bay 12/30
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2017, 07:51 AM »
That’s a nice gash on her side
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2017, 09:20 AM »
Looks like a good haul! Nice job! Surprised there is that much ice there already, but NOT surprised someone decided to risk their life in a truck.... Every year...

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2017, 09:26 AM »
HB, sounds like a great day !

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2017, 09:36 AM »
That inner bay has 12-13 inches of ice with a little snow crust on top. 

After a mellow day friday in the inner bay i decided to fish out at the boat launch at mid bay.   I set up in 12 fow not far from the launch and was fishing at 11 am.   Using mostly rapala darter type minnows  and lindy rattlin flyers. Tipped both with either spikes or gulp minnow heads in natural shiner.  I yielded half a bucket of yellows from 7 and a half up to 11 inches.  I did not chase them around either. Had alot of dinks so i decided to throw one on a treble and see who else wanted to play down there.
 Sure enough after an hour or so my rod went south fast next to me.  And landed this 30 inch pike.  Sweet!  She went back in to grow bigger. 
All in all a better day today and was off the ice at 4pm before dark.  Ice was black and i had about 8 inches of ice.  I did see a truck out on inner bay area. And just shook my head and said "nope!"

Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2017, 09:43 AM »
Has anyone been near Hathaway?
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Hideebeez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2017, 10:44 AM »
That inner bay has 12-13 inches of ice with a little snow crust on top.
I figured it did. It was 8 inches friday i can see it being 12 by saturday. Still im probably a minority but i dont support vehicles on the ice. Atvs and snows fine. 

Offline Hideebeez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2017, 10:47 AM »
Has anyone been near Hathaway?

I saw a couple utility vehicles drive out that way but it was deffinatley not crowded pr popular. I think most people stuck to inner bay. It was crowded there  ot many people at mid bay and a sparse few to the outer bay area

Offline skeet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:34 PM »
I am going to show my inexperience and ask a stupid question. What is considered  mid bay ? Down by Hathaway ?

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2017, 04:38 PM »
Did another one crash?
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline Hideebeez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2017, 11:12 PM »
I am going to show my inexperience and ask a stupid question. What is considered  mid bay ? Down by Hathaway ?

Inner bay is by the gas station and the bar. Mid bay is the boat launch area on hathaway road.
Outer bay is from around the corner out to the islands further south.  The  maps for champlain depths designate the bay into three sections.

Offline skeet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2018, 05:44 AM »
Thanks a bunch . That makes it easier to understand what people are talking about

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2018, 02:38 PM »

Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline skeet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2018, 02:44 PM »
Pretty clear with this ! Even I can figure it out ........Thanks

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2018, 03:48 PM »
Sounds like you had a great day on the ice! Good looking pike. Must've been a fun fight on a big stick! Too bad St. Albans is such a drive from my house, people have definitely been catching quite a few fish up there.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline packersskyline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:52 AM »
Current ice and bite currently at ST A Bay?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.