Author Topic: Fish Stock - anyone try this  (Read 2115 times)

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fish Stock - anyone try this
« on: Dec 29, 2017, 07:04 PM »
 have read a few recipes almost tried it today. You boil down the guts, head and what is left after you fillet the fish. I then want to try a simple fish soup dish with this stock.

Looking for simple recipes if anyone has tried this

thanks

Offline icemanmn

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fish Stock - anyone try this
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2017, 10:48 AM »
Cut out the guts.  Just boil down the head and skeleton.  Make sure you strain it through a wire strainer after it has cooled. 

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2017, 12:44 AM »
When in Florida I buy whole shrimp that have to be cleaned. I then boil down the heads and shells. I would think fish carcass would be about the same thing. I make a chowder out of the stock and it's awesome! Add a little seasoning maybe carrot, onion and celery like they do on TV.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:36 AM »
I tried making trout stock and the smell almost made me barf. I did not do any research but figured just boil the bones and head. Must be more to it than this.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:54 PM »
DONT add the guts! Stock pot with water, carrots, onion, celery garlic, pepper fish heads and skeletons. I've done this with whole gutted fish but you get an obscene amount of scales to clean up. Once you've brought it to a boil for awhile kick the temp down until everything falls apart. Strain and compost everything other than the liquid Gold. You can now make chowders and hearty fish stews. For the faint of heart that might not love the smell ( there is no denying the flavor) I recommend to cut your broth with some chicken or veggie stock so as to lessen the fishiness. Enjoy!!

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2017, 07:30 PM »
Thanks, I am going to try this soon. I need to find a cheap pot and will boil in garage on a hot plate. I made some soup a few weeks back and used a bag of fillets for the meat and it turned out really good. But did not have the stock for it like this.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2018, 12:36 AM »
Down here on the bayou I use Swanson's Low Sodium chicken broth as my boiling liquid instead of water.  I always include a mirepoix and salt and pepper, never garlic. When using shrimp heads/shells strain the dross out then let the stock settle in the fridge overnight.  Next day, skim the hardened fat off the top.  In the bottom of your bowl, (I use a clear glass picture so it's easy to see and pour.), there will be a layer of "sand".  Slowly pour off the liquid being careful not to disturb the sand.

For fish stock use the bones & head.  Follow the same procedure.  Usually there's less fat & sand...

And for god's sake don't boil the guts...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:50 AM »
Definitely no guts.....everything else..yes.

Offline joechicago

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ...if it's frozen drill it.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2018, 11:37 AM »
Bluefish are stinky.
God does not count in man's allotted span, the days spent fishing.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2018, 04:26 AM »
No fish heads for me, thank you.
My chowders are made with chicken broth, clam juice, celery, carrot, potato and onion. Veggies are "sweated" in small amounts of broth over high heat to release the flavors.

I like to add a few chopped up scallops to the soup as it cooks. They pretty much disintegrate and add a ton of rich flavor. Add in whatever fish or seafood you like and simmer. For me seasonings are sea salt, pepper melange, cayenne and bay leaves.  Very simple, hearty soup.

It's always better the next day ;D

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.