Author Topic: Is The Good Old Fashioned Barrel Knot Obsolete?  (Read 3825 times)

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
Is The Good Old Fashioned Barrel Knot Obsolete?
« on: Mar 28, 2016, 09:10 AM »
I was poking around the general tips form and got into a few threads about knots. All I have ever tied in 35 years is a simple barrel knot (Twice through lure/swivel eye, then twice through the loop) I have never had lousy knot strength issues. But after reading about the other three million types of knots guys are using I am confused. What's wrong with the barrel, looks like nobody is using them any more
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline Pilsner

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Is The Good Old Fashioned Barrel Knot Obsolete?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2016, 12:45 PM »
Don't fix what's not broken sounds like it has been doing the job for 35 years.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2016, 02:51 PM »
I don't need a special tool to tie a special knot. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2016, 01:45 PM »
Replying to an April thread...

I've never tried the barrel knot. My dad taught me the improved clinch about 50 years ago, and I've almost always used it. I might try this one, just because, but some of my ice jigs have pretty small eyes to run a line through twice.

I do use a surgeon's end loop ( http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/surgeons-end-loop-1 ) when I don't want a tight knot.

Dave

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2016, 02:01 PM »
You may enjoy the "Knot Wars" shows, beginning in 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8zZns5kWds

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2016, 02:19 PM »
One of the most important things about knots is tying them right, if you don't have problems and are tying it right I say stick with what works for you.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2016, 05:36 PM »
i used the regular clinch knot for most of my fishing life, and never had much of a problem with it. last year though, i switched to tying everything on with a palomar knot, simply because it's a faster knot to tie.

as long as you're using good line, and tying the knot right, i don't see why you wouldn't keep tying your preferred knot.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2016, 06:26 PM »
I will be the voice of dissent here folks. A lot has changed in 35 years, mostly my waistline but that's another issue.  ::)

IF you are using the same line you used 35 years ago I'll happily second the advice of most of the rest that have already chipped in. Your barrel will work just as it always has for 35 years.

IF however you are using a fluorocarbon or any kind of "superline", that made from Spectra, Dyneema or Kevlar with brand names like TUF Line. PowerPro, Nanofil, Spiderwire, etc., you will need a better knot.

Here's why. These new generations of lines are made from stuff that is very (very, very) slippery. That's one reason they are more abrasion resistant than old school lines but knots tend to slip under pressure as well. Tying this stuff is not rocket science and you do not need a special "tool" or an encyclopedia of knots to deal with it.

I know but literally a handful of knots (that's like 5) and they serve every application I have. If you are using a superline, a Palomar or Uni knot are both easy to learn, tie and are likely the most effective knots. That said, they are equally as effective on your 35 year old mono so it's something you can learn, apply, get comfortable with and if you decide to move to more modern line you will be good to go. If you've got fluoro it can be a toss up depending on the manufacturer. I generally use those non-slip knots on everything but what I KNOW is old school mono (yep, i still got some and use it).

Hope this is not a confusing as it might sound. Simplify and the world is your oyster.... ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2017, 08:23 PM »
Trilene knot, here..

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2017, 05:48 AM »
I have never used the barrel knot. Years and years ago I started using the palomer never had a knot fail. I also don't use anything but mono so can't say how that knot works with super lines. I would agree that if it ain't broke no need to fix it. Sounds like you have good confidence in the not you are using. Why change?
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2017, 12:24 PM »
A good night tied well will beat a great knot tied poorly.

If it is working and you are not having issues then it is not obsolete.

Palomar and clinch knot here. I can tie them quick and well.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2017, 03:43 PM »
Palomar is the best fore me.  Clinch knots always slip for me, however the improved clinch never fails.  Never even heard of a barrel knot.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2017, 10:00 AM »
Make sure when tying on mono or flouro that you wet the line before tightening the knot.

Friction is an enemy of line strength.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.