Author Topic: LED rope lights  (Read 5066 times)

Offline HodakaD

• IceShanty Rookie
LED rope lights
« on: Sep 09, 2016, 08:02 PM »
I'm rebuilding an old shack and would like to put some error lights in it. Can someone recommend a LED rope light that I can wire into a battery with a switch?  Preferably an affordable one.  I would really appreciate it.  Thanks.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: LED rope lights
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2016, 08:26 PM »
Lot of IS members have been getting them via Amazon/Ebay  through China ...lot of sifting through .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline HodakaD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2016, 08:38 PM »
Are they getting the rope lights in the plastic tube or the strip lights? Is the plastic tube necessary to diffuse the light?  I want to run it along a wall to have dimmer lighting other than the overhead led lights. I don't want a blinding bright light. More mood lighting if you will.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2016, 09:07 PM »
i use led strip that's rolled onto a reel so they call them reel led strip. 16.4 feet long 5050 water proof smd and use a remote controlled in-line remote on/off/dimmer controller from amazon. i found the strip needs to be about 4 foot minimum for the remote to work. maybe it needs that length as a load for it to be seen.
all of it is about 15$ plus wire and connectors. you choose how bright you want them and the remote has 100%, 50% and 25% and then infinite up/down to the maximum brightness down to maybe 10%.

led's
https://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-5050SMD-Waterproof-Flexible-Version/dp/B00U5Y24QO/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1473473356&sr=8-15&keywords=5050+led+lights+waterproof

wire
https://www.amazon.com/EvZ-Extension-Strips-Single-Colour/dp/B009VCZ4V8/ref=pd_sim_60_12?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TW1G9AKMMC5AHTG7SED9

fasteners for hard walls. i use velcro one wrap for pole mounting. the tape backer it has is junk and you should leave the paper on it always to help protect the circuit from shorts.
https://www.amazon.com/SpiritLED-Mounting-Bracket-included-Waterproof/dp/B01F4U2K4E/ref=pd_sim_60_52?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TW1G9AKMMC5AHTG7SED9

in-line on/off/dimmer and can be found cheaper
https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Dimmer-Sinlge-Color-DC12V/dp/B016W9AA4I/ref=sr_1_106?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1473473732&sr=1-106&keywords=Mini+Remote+Controller+for+Single+Color+LED+Strip+Lights

remote controlled on/off/dimmer. i bought them cheaper, but these are cheap
https://www.amazon.com/Remote-Controller-DOITOP-Wireless-Control/dp/B01I92JPZ6/ref=sr_1_55?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1473473683&sr=1-55&keywords=Mini+Remote+Controller+for+Single+Color+LED+Strip+Lights

Offline HodakaD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2016, 09:34 PM »
Thanks 3300! This is exactly what I needed. Do people recommend the warm or the cool white as far as color goes?  I was going to go warm, but since you can dim the strip's maybe the cool white is better?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2016, 09:42 PM »
cool white always in every thing lights for me, even flash lights. it makes things seem to pop, like HD with that color where as the warm white looks subdued and dull looking. great for the bars womens bath room lighting tho and bar lighting where you want that smoked stained look/feel.

the cool white helps in the shanty to see the florescent indicators too. i use florescent fingernail polish on the indicators and rod tips for low light and night time fishing.

be careful where the leads are wired into the strip(s). i use hot glue to build up a strain relief after i solder new wires to the strip.

i use these in my pop ups and flip over shanties. i use two 4 footers in the flip and one 7 foot for the pop up.

heres what they look like in the flip over. when using velcro, you can point most of them down and out of the eyes on the front bar.

Offline HodakaD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2016, 09:48 PM »
OK, thanks a lot for all this. I'm in the process of rebuilding my grandfather's 30 year old shack. It's going to be updated a little bit!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2016, 09:52 PM »
glad to help.
sounds good!

i use a small ammo box for the batteries. i fish about 6 hours a day or more and have extra batteries. a small sla like 5 amp hour is fine. charge them after each outing.

Offline HodakaD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2016, 09:57 PM »
I'm planning on having a deep cycle battery in the shack, I bought 2 double LED lights for the ceiling and a single for over a table. I also bought a LED porch light.  The shack is 8x12. I won't run all the lights at once, but when I need light I want it available.

Offline buuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2016, 07:25 PM »
I'm planning on having a deep cycle battery in the shack, I bought 2 double LED lights for the ceiling and a single for over a table. I also bought a LED porch light.  The shack is 8x12. I won't run all the lights at once, but when I need light I want it available.

That is my setup exactly. I have the two sets of ceiling lights on separate rocker switches and a dimmer for the longer light string.
I went with the 3528 size diode, they put out less light per diode and therefore have less glare, also use less power.
I think the cool white (bright white) is a good choice, it is more of a task oriented light, the warm white is more suited for something like a living room light.
If you have fishing holes in your shack I highly recommend putting some under the floor next to the holes. You won't need much lighting there, with the 5050 size, one set of three lights should be more than enough. Also these lights should be the waterproof type that have the immersion protection number IP65, they are considered waterproof in regards to splashing and would work well there.
My underfloor lights are counter sunk into the floor joists so as not to get snagged during transport if things got rough. The wires are also countersunk.
Having underfloor lighting lets you see the line better when you are playing out a fish.

Offline HodakaD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2016, 08:23 PM »
Hi Buddy, thanks for the input. Did you put your two overhead lights on the center on your ceiling, or did you put them towards the edges?  I thought about putting them near opposite walls thinking it would help with my wall mounted rattle reels.

Offline buuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2016, 08:39 PM »
Hi Buddy, thanks for the input. Did you put your two overhead lights on the center on your ceiling, or did you put them towards the edges?  I thought about putting them near opposite walls thinking it would help with my wall mounted rattle reels.

I have the longer string running directly above the seat (8' length), the two fishing holes are in the same line as the seat on the two end walls.
The shorter string is directly over top of the table. I find that a little bit of light here stops the shadow created by your body when you are standing there cleaning fish.
I think you have the right idea, put the lighting where it is needed most.

Offline AdverseCity

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2016, 06:54 AM »
I recommend multiple lights but if you're puting them in a central location don't put them directly overhead. When you lean over something your head will cast a shadow and make it difficult to see. I put 3 strips of LED lights, one over each bench and one down the middle, no shadows at all this way.

Offline Caseman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 20, 2016, 08:29 AM »
i use led strip that's rolled onto a reel so they call them reel led strip. 16.4 feet long 5050 water proof smd and use a remote controlled in-line remote on/off/dimmer controller from amazon. i found the strip needs to be about 4 foot minimum for the remote to work. maybe it needs that length as a load for it to be seen.
all of it is about 15$ plus wire and connectors. you choose how bright you want them and the remote has 100%, 50% and 25% and then infinite up/down to the maximum brightness down to maybe 10%.

led's
https://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-5050SMD-Waterproof-Flexible-Version/dp/B00U5Y24QO/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1473473356&sr=8-15&keywords=5050+led+lights+waterproof

wire
https://www.amazon.com/EvZ-Extension-Strips-Single-Colour/dp/B009VCZ4V8/ref=pd_sim_60_12?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TW1G9AKMMC5AHTG7SED9

fasteners for hard walls. i use velcro one wrap for pole mounting. the tape backer it has is junk and you should leave the paper on it always to help protect the circuit from shorts.
https://www.amazon.com/SpiritLED-Mounting-Bracket-included-Waterproof/dp/B01F4U2K4E/ref=pd_sim_60_52?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TW1G9AKMMC5AHTG7SED9

in-line on/off/dimmer and can be found cheaper
https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Dimmer-Sinlge-Color-DC12V/dp/B016W9AA4I/ref=sr_1_106?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1473473732&sr=1-106&keywords=Mini+Remote+Controller+for+Single+Color+LED+Strip+Lights

remote controlled on/off/dimmer. i bought them cheaper, but these are cheap
https://www.amazon.com/Remote-Controller-DOITOP-Wireless-Control/dp/B01I92JPZ6/ref=sr_1_55?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1473473683&sr=1-55&keywords=Mini+Remote+Controller+for+Single+Color+LED+Strip+Lights

I run the same lights.  But will buy that remote thing.    My switch I mounted with double sided tape won't stay taped to the sled. So this will work great.

Thanks!

Offline banders731

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 10, 2016, 03:37 AM »
so new guy here, especially new to adding things to my Frabill Commando.....    One thing ive wanted to do for sure is add some of those strip LED lights to at least a bar or two in the flip-over.  First off I just purchased the strip lights, some wire and the inline on/off dimmer switch from Amazon (the ones listed above)  I figured i'd get the lights attached to the bars like mentioned with velcro or whatever, but my main question (since ive never done this - and this is super newbie) what do you do to get them wired and hooked up to say a flasher battery?  Do you just solder the strips to some wire, then to the dimmer, then to some alligator clips?  Again this is something new to me.......thanks in advance 

-b-

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 11, 2016, 10:39 AM »
so new guy here, especially new to adding things to my Frabill Commando.....    One thing ive wanted to do for sure is add some of those strip LED lights to at least a bar or two in the flip-over.  First off I just purchased the strip lights, some wire and the inline on/off dimmer switch from Amazon (the ones listed above)  I figured i'd get the lights attached to the bars like mentioned with velcro or whatever, but my main question (since ive never done this - and this is super newbie) what do you do to get them wired and hooked up to say a flasher battery?  Do you just solder the strips to some wire, then to the dimmer, then to some alligator clips?  Again this is something new to me.......thanks in advance 

-b-

That really depends on what you are comfortable doing.  If your good at soldering, then that is a good way to go.  The dimmer vendor may offer connectors that you can wire to.  If you want to see a lot of different options, do a search on this site here for "Flip Over Power Box".  This thread has a ton of advise from guys who have done what you are talking about and will give you a lot of ideas.  How far you want to take your design depends on what you are looking for.  Clipping the leads to the battery is a simple way of getting power to the lights.  Adding switches to the lights will give you the option to just switch them on with the power already connected. 

I did LED lights wired to connectors, then brought that wire to a DC jack.  This would then allow me to connect to the power box that had my switches.  I did not use the dimmer.  One area to look at is are your LED waterproof or indoor rated?  If they are waterproof, you have to remove the silicon covering to expose the terminals on the LED's.  Just take a razor blade and cut down, but don't cut all the way thru.  Just peal the covering off and you can then either connect or solder to the light.  I think all this is covered in that thread.  Gave me a ton of ideas.  You can see here, alot of guys have already thought out a lot of this. 

I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline banders731

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 26, 2016, 01:56 AM »

hopefully the pic works (first time pic poster)........anyway got the LEDs installed inside of the Frabill today.  I'm glad I spent the extra $5 on the inline dimmer for them cuz wow are they bright!!

come on ice!!! :)

-b-

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 26, 2016, 07:13 AM »
Looking good! Yah, its amazing how bright they are, but you will enjoy it. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2018, 06:26 AM »
Excellent LED  teaching thread guys . Thank you . I'll be trying this in my new hub shelter .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.