Author Topic: Flip over power box  (Read 150446 times)

Offline Loudenback

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Flip over power box
« Reply #330 on: Nov 27, 2015, 11:09 PM »
I'm putting my box together tomorrow.  2x 18ah batteries and a cooler.  I'll post some more photos tomorrow.

Offline Mdubc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #331 on: Nov 28, 2015, 05:52 PM »
Late Season--

Can you post a pic of the wiring in your Zombie battery box?

I have the same box and want to get a look at how you wired it up.

Thanks!

Offline WET-KNOTS II

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #332 on: Nov 28, 2015, 06:12 PM »
I just wanted to say thank you to j_edwards and all the contributors who started this powerbox ideas! I made one myself few months ago used it few times in open water boating and i cant wait to try it out on the ice! Will post pics as soon as i figured it out how to.   ;D

Offline LateSeason

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #333 on: Nov 28, 2015, 08:08 PM »
Finished my new box.  The Zombie box is now a husk in the corner.
Used the otter center console and put 30ah of batteries in it.  4 USB plugs to recharge devices.  Bulkhead SAE connector to plug the house lights and dimmer in.

Offline Loudenback

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #334 on: Nov 28, 2015, 08:48 PM »
I have almost finished my cooler battery box.  I don't fish front a flip over.  But wanted portable power.  Thanks so much to everyone here for the great ideas.  I have two of these coolers to put in my Jet sled 1.  One cooler is for fish and a seat.  The other houses my 18ah batteries wired to 12v.  It has double stacked led lights run around it as a lantern.  A magnetic switch for a 6" strip led in the lid to light inside the box.   And will power the same double stacked LED strip sounding my Jet Sled.  The box also has a volt/amp meter and USB port.  I will be installing my power inverter and Makita charger incase KY drill powered nils dies.  With 4 batteries it is rare.  Also mounted a Rapala 6 pole mount on the back.

Offline WET-KNOTS II

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #335 on: Nov 29, 2015, 01:50 AM »
Edit: Heres my simple powerbox i made few mos ago.   ;D

Usb,Voltmeter, plugs-$12 ebay
Led Switch x4-$5 ebay
Binding post-$3 ebay
6 circuit Fuse box w/ grd-$18 ebay
Bat box-$6 menards
9ah 12v Battery-$20 gander mountain
6" led light-$15 bass pro
= aprox. $79

I like the portability that i can take it everywhere. Such as open water fishing, camping, and next hardwater fishing.  Thanks again! ;)

Offline Mdubc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #336 on: Nov 29, 2015, 08:44 AM »
Tis the season to start the ice fishing projects.
Changing things up from last years Zombie power box.  It did work great, but it was an extra item I had to carry with every time I went out.

Working on the new and improved version.  It will be integrated into the Otter Sportsmans Console that stays in the fish house. 
I have never filled up the center console, so the space taken up by this isn't a concern.
It will run the house lights and USB charging.  The piece out the front will hold a tablet for the underwater camera or act as a rod holder.
(Image removed from quote.)

Finished my new box.  The Zombie box is now a husk in the corner.
Used the otter center console and put 30ah of batteries in it.  4 USB plugs to recharge devices.  Bulkhead SAE connector to plug the house lights and dimmer in.

Do you want to sell your Zombie box?
I'm in St. Paul.

Offline phoolish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #337 on: Nov 30, 2015, 11:27 PM »
Just picked up a flip up shanty this is on my list to do before the lake to freeze over along with lights. I think I'm going to put red and green navigation light like a boat just for a laugh

Offline fishinagain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #338 on: Dec 01, 2015, 08:31 PM »
Just picked up a flip up shanty this is on my list to do before the lake to freeze over along with lights. I think I'm going to put red and green navigation light like a boat just for a laugh

Hahaha!! That is funny
Pure Michigan

TEAM MITTEN

Offline phoolish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #339 on: Dec 05, 2015, 09:14 PM »
Has anybody tried using the multi color LEDs with a dimmer/color changer so you could use green or red at night? Would it be worth doing?

Offline Luckyowen98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #340 on: Dec 05, 2015, 11:09 PM »
Definitely a how to and parts list. That's a must on the ice!!!  Great job!
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #341 on: Dec 17, 2015, 12:12 AM »
Built my own today. I saw some pics on this site and got inspired. Mine is small, but has 2 cig lighter outlets and 2 usb as well as volt meter. a pair of 6 amp cells should give me more than enough power for some lights as well as a place to plug in my flasher should I need some extra hours. Added a pigtail connector so I can hook up to my Noco genius battery charger/maintainer when not in use.

I also added a COB LED chip to use it as a flashlight, this thing is ridiculously bright. I am not sure of the lumen output, but it is plenty bright for my needs.

Offline Mdubc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #342 on: Dec 22, 2015, 06:45 PM »
If you're using LED strip lights in you shacks. How are you connecting the strips together if you've cut them? I am trying to solder regular wire to them but it will not work. I am using a 14ga copper wire. Am I using the wrong type of wire?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-GAUGE-50-FT-RED-BLACK-ZIP-WIRE-AWG-CABLE-POWER-GROUND-STRANDED-COPPER-CAR-/271177863316?hash=item3f2375d094:g:d~EAAOxyyF5RT0F1&vxp=mtr

Offline Luckyowen98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #343 on: Dec 23, 2015, 08:10 AM »
Mdubc,

Did you tin the tips of the wires first? This helps in that regard. I put up lights in my hub shelter and ran into the same problem with that. If you tin the tips then solder them to the connections it will have a better connection. Also, make sure that you expose the little + and - connections on the LED strips. I had the waterproof ones and had to cut away the plastic sleeve to expose them. Once they are exposed, you can solder the ends together. I didn't use wire to hook up to another strip, I just meshed two strips together.  Hope this helps.

Offline Mdubc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #344 on: Dec 25, 2015, 10:44 AM »
Luckyowen,

I went over and tinned the wires first and resoldered them and it worked. Thanks for the tip.

Offline Mdubc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #345 on: Dec 25, 2015, 05:04 PM »
Light box and LED lights in the Kenai complete! Now I need some ice to try it out on.

I mounted 2-2ft strips of LED's in my shack and it is the perfect amount of light.

It was a good learning experience in some basic electric and soldering.

Offline Luckyowen98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #346 on: Dec 27, 2015, 08:08 PM »
Mdubc

Awesome, glad it helped. 

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #347 on: Dec 30, 2015, 09:34 AM »
If you're using LED strip lights in you shacks. How are you connecting the strips together if you've cut them? I am trying to solder regular wire to them but it will not work. I am using a 14ga copper wire. Am I using the wrong type of wire?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-GAUGE-50-FT-RED-BLACK-ZIP-WIRE-AWG-CABLE-POWER-GROUND-STRANDED-COPPER-CAR-/271177863316?hash=item3f2375d094:g:d~EAAOxyyF5RT0F1&vxp=mtr

Have you seen these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solderless-Clip-on-Coupler-Connector-2pin-4pin-RGB-for-3528-5050-LED-Strip-Light-/261985429330?var=&hash=item3cff8c6752:m:mJnJwq-Cp8I7VxQ7Rz8M-BQ

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #348 on: Dec 30, 2015, 09:41 AM »

yep, just twist them tight and tin them first to keep strays at bay. dip in flux and the tinning is fast. use hot glue to toughen it all up afterwords so the wires don't pull the solder pads off the strip. you could make a small U shape before hot glue to act as a strain relief too. tin the solder pads on the strip too.

Offline willisdotcom

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't sleep, ice season is too short!!
« Reply #350 on: Jan 02, 2016, 05:42 PM »
just found this on ebay, looking at maybe ordering it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-3-1A-Dual-USB-Charger-Voltmeter-Triple-Socket-Power-Outlet-Marine-Plug-Jack-/141758997175?hash=item21017ea2b7:g:NhsAAOSwjVVV4B1j

That's the same unit I used cor my power box, but I found it on amazzon. I'm almost finished with mine, I'll post pics when I get it all put together. It went a little crazy on it.

Offline abbatoys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #351 on: Jan 06, 2016, 04:08 PM »
Wow guys some of those boxes are incredible.... I am going to have to try and build one finally.. Been lurking for a while at them..

Offline nd.walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is there such a thing as a bad day of fishing?
« Reply #352 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:02 AM »
Ordered my stuff today, should be here Thursday and the Zombie can should be here next Wednesday. Excited for a portable power solution for all my outdoor needs!

Offline Huntmaster86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #353 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:31 PM »
two more of these power boxes are being made. Thank you everyone for the wealth of info on these boxes!!! I can't wait to try it out in my new predator!! I ordered 2-15' strands of the waterproof LED lights. They should light up the shanty nice and bright. will post pics when they are completed

Offline bourdon1412

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #354 on: Jan 21, 2016, 08:40 AM »
I try the same think all the stuff is hooked up right turn on the toggle switch and it blows fuses.

Offline mt4410

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #355 on: Jan 22, 2016, 09:23 PM »

Got Mine all done last week.  12v socket, LED floodlight, fan from a computer, USB and battery gauge.  A ton of wires because I wanted a switch for each accessory.  Works great!

how does that flood light work for you? im in the process of building one of these myself, and was planning on using one. just wanted to know if the light was bright enough to aim down to fish crappies with, use as an area light, and check traps from a distance in the dark. thanks!

Offline mt4410

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #356 on: Jan 22, 2016, 09:56 PM »
has anybody on here used the battery from their flasher and had their flasher hooked up as well as running a led light set as well as the two usb ports and the volt meter? if so how long has the battery lasted? just curious to see if i should piggyback to 12v 7.2mah batteries together instead of just running one. what i have for stuff already for this is a whole mess of 16ga wire, 10w led flood light, dual usb charging outlet, and voltmeter. One of the toggles will run the flood light, and one toggle will power the voltmeter and the cigarette power. trying to get a simple power diagram drawn up is harder than it seems. especially with the piggybacking of batteries. thanks in advance!!!

Offline nd.walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #357 on: Jan 25, 2016, 08:35 AM »
Here is my power box, made with the zombie ammo can. I think I'm going to do something a little more legitimate with the wiring and make some posts to run everything too, i also need to have some posts for my charger to be connected to. Work in progress but fun none the less! :)

Offline nd.walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #358 on: Jan 25, 2016, 09:42 AM »
has anybody on here used the battery from their flasher and had their flasher hooked up as well as running a led light set as well as the two usb ports and the volt meter? if so how long has the battery lasted? just curious to see if i should piggyback to 12v 7.2mah batteries together instead of just running one. what i have for stuff already for this is a whole mess of 16ga wire, 10w led flood light, dual usb charging outlet, and voltmeter. One of the toggles will run the flood light, and one toggle will power the voltmeter and the cigarette power. trying to get a simple power diagram drawn up is harder than it seems. especially with the piggybacking of batteries. thanks in advance!!!

You should have no problem running two batteries in parallel, and i agree that trying to connect everything gets to be a logistic nightmare :) I need to re-wire some of mine in a more friendly fashion, got in a hurry towards the end of mine.

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't sleep, ice season is too short!!
« Reply #359 on: Jan 25, 2016, 05:36 PM »
I've had mine done for awhile, but have been too lazy to post pictures. First time trying pics from my phone, so hopefully it works the first time.

I went a little crazy, but it turned out sweet. Borrowed ideas from everyone, so a big thank you to all of you guys.

I started with a .45 cal ammo can from gander. Ordered everything from amazon, except the box, and wire. Everything is ran through a 10 gang fuse block mounted inside.

Middle switch by the handle turns power on to the box, and the voltmeter/USB/cigarette ports. Switch to the top left turns on the box lights. The remaining three switches power shanty lights that are wired with barrel jacks for easy plug and play. The last barrel jack on the far right is where I plug in the charger, so I don't have to remove the battery.

I have two strips of LEDs that I have to attach to my flip over poles. I had enough leftover to make two strips for my new hub as well. Thanks again to all of the great ideas, I never would have thought this up on my own.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.