Author Topic: Reflectors on shacks?  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Poorboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Reflectors on shacks?
« on: Jan 15, 2005, 07:07 AM »
In Maine are reflectors on shacks on all 4 sides required?  Not in the lawbook, so I say no, had someone tell me they are.

iceman480

Re: Reflectors on shacks?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2005, 10:09 AM »
I dont know if they are required beings that I'm from Iowa. But if your fishing at night I would put them on anyway for your safety I've seen them get hit by someone flying across the lake on a snowmobile.  Just my two cents.

Offline trev.357

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2005, 01:27 PM »
my shack(perm) is one big reflector i painted it bright yellow and blue trim  can't miss it

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2005, 03:18 PM »
In Maine are reflectors on shacks on all 4 sides required?  Not in the lawbook, so I say no, had someone tell me they are.
not required in maine but a very good idea!!

Offline Sluggo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On the ice it's twice as nice!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2005, 05:28 PM »
My 8'x8' shack is plastered. 

3 3" reflectors on all 4 sides at snowmobile light level.  Since there is no speed limits on the lakes, I feel it is only fair to give someone flying along at 50-100mph on a sled at least half a chance of avoiding my shack at night.

People can say what they want about going too fast and that no one needs to go that fast but they do anyway, so I choose to make that as safe as I can.

Lombardy, Ontario, Canada

Offline Poorboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2005, 05:51 PM »
Yeah, Sluggo, I hear ya.  I'm taking some out this week, but at the time I asked I just wanted to get the shack out on the ice without going to the store again.  I, too wish to protect the careless.  BTW, we can't fish at night, so it ain't me I'm worried about.

Offline Sluggo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2005, 10:57 AM »
BTW, we can't fish at night, so it ain't me I'm worried about.

Can't fish at night??!!  You truly live up to your screen name Poorboy.  I would not know what to do if I couldn't fish at night.  Most Saturday's we fish from 2 in the afternoon till 2 in the morning.

Where are you and what is the reasoning for that? (Law or personal choice)

Offline Poorboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2005, 04:46 AM »
It's the law here in Maine.  OK in open water but not ice fishing.  I don't know the reason, but likely tied to the difficulty of keeping an eye on those who would fish illegally.  There is the notion here that ice fishing depletes the resources because the fishing is so easy.  Can't prove that by me.  Or it may be a safety thing.  Been on the books so long nobody seems to know. 

On the brighter side, we can have 5 lines on most waters and can use live bait.

BTW, what are you catching at night?

Offline Sluggo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2005, 10:05 AM »
We catch walleye and crappie all night.  Usually comes in waves at 5:00, 7:30, 10:30, midnight and even catching them at 2am!

As for ice fishing being too easy,  I don't buy that.  Until I found the new spot I'm on this year we went 2 years with only catching about 5 walleye.  Lots of other fish but not what we were looking for.  We are also on a fairly large lake so there is lots of room left uncovered by anglers.

Offline whitebassbenny

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fishing rules, let there be ice !!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2005, 04:34 PM »
put some reflector tape on it (can never have too much) so u don't have it get hit at night thats the last thing u want to happin .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.