Author Topic: Michiana Shanty 2  (Read 99441 times)

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
Re: Michiana Shanty 2
« Reply #150 on: Jan 28, 2011, 07:03 AM »
Thanks TED!
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #151 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:30 AM »
I finally flew the flag over my shanty. The ICESHANTY prize from last season.

Here is a video of my shanty being pulled by a snowmobile.

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/michianiafisherman/?action=view&current=MVI_1166.mp4

Offline SKilo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #152 on: Feb 26, 2011, 05:09 PM »
Sweet setup! I can't wait to see what you come up with #3.

How about that lantern box? I've never seen anything like that before. I'm guessing that's another home made jobber? It looks like it has a second compartment in the back of the lantern. What do you use that for and do you have any issue with the plexiglass melting in the front and does the lantern fit pretty snug inside?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #153 on: Feb 28, 2011, 08:53 AM »
Sweet setup! I can't wait to see what you come up with #3.

How about that lantern box? I've never seen anything like that before. I'm guessing that's another home made jobber? It looks like it has a second compartment in the back of the lantern. What do you use that for and do you have any issue with the plexiglass melting in the front and does the lantern fit pretty snug inside?

I sent you a PM.

Number 3 is in the drawing stage. No pushing, dragging, 4 wheelers, snowmobiles, or folding. I kind of like making them fold up, but the next one will be wheelchair usable. Trying to take my idea and lessen the cost of certain places to make it accessible to most. Cheaper than a four wheeler or sled and yet able to go anywhere, anytime. And not like a Snowbear at 30,000 dollars plus.

Offline soldford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #154 on: Mar 16, 2011, 03:36 PM »
This is an amazing piece of work.
Could you tell me how the folding walls attached to the base?
Are those long white strips hinges or are the wall floating?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #155 on: Mar 17, 2011, 11:09 AM »
All of the walls are on hinges. I buy the piano style hinges and then cut them myself about 4 inches long. Just long enough that two existing holes are in each hinge. The white strip is some high quality duct tape for a seal from the wind. I left enough room for snow and ice so its not restricted in any way from folding. If you look close at the picture, you can see the shadow of the hinges through the tape. I think I only used four on the eight foot wall. Two on the four foot walls. And I used the small screws that came with the hinge to hold them on.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #156 on: Aug 01, 2011, 08:50 AM »
Just to update the post and tell all who are viewing the build from Maker Faire. Thanks for the nice comments. I hope you were inspired to build something yourself. Hope to meet some of you on the ice this coming season. If not, I may see you at the next Maker Faire Detroit? I know that over 1000 kids know how to ice fish, but I can't take them all, I need a little help making that happen. So get those kids to the pond or something.

Like my Grandson with his Ice Fishing pole.

Rick  AKA MichianaFisherman

Offline Fudoshin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #157 on: Jan 01, 2014, 03:51 PM »
Hey Michiana I've been checking out your youtube videos/pictures on the shanty, I realize this is an old thread and what not but I had read through out your build that you were having your son make a cad program for the blue prints on this shanty.  I was curious if this ever happened and if the blue prints are for sale?  I am very interested in this design seeing how I have little storage room at my condo and the slim design would fit awesome and it's a great build.  Awesome progress and ingenuity thanks for sharing!!

wisconsin fishing is upon us and it would be an honor to be able to fish out of one of these. 

Thanks for your time,

Offline grizzreaper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #158 on: Jan 02, 2014, 05:13 PM »
yes I was also wondering where I could get the blueprints for the one on youtube. the fastest ice shanty set up. I been looking for three days and saw some very interesting ones on the net. how heavy is the Michiana Shanty 1 . keep up the grt work and all the grt ideas on how to keep us ,our children, and our grandkids warm and dry. thanks in advance 

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #159 on: Jan 04, 2014, 09:25 AM »
For everyone's info, I have never sold one shanty or plans! I was planning on doing a step by step build before this season, but my garage roof needed to be completely redesigned. I spent my summer building roof trusses, in place, one at a time. I also bought a rare electric car that I couldn't pass up. I hope to still do a step by step build and believe me, I felt like I let allot of people down not getting it done yet.

Offline Fudoshin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #160 on: Jan 07, 2014, 09:46 PM »
well I hope your garage rebuild goes smoothly, I understand having a busy life, If you do get any plans together for purchase please add me to your list of contacts as I will buy it immediately.  Thanks for your reply. 

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #161 on: Jan 08, 2014, 07:05 AM »
I bought my granddaughters a Barbie Dreamhouse, so you know what I put together for my Christmas. After trying to figure out the plans and all the pieces, I got to thinking. If I am smart enough to do this, and I am struggling with the plans, How does the regular moms and dads build a dollhouse?  I still think the best bet is to show step by step videos of the build. Then no excuses for not being able to finish one.

Offline Kevin13460

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #162 on: Sep 19, 2017, 04:26 AM »
Any more updates as far as a how too on these shantys!?!? I get the general idea from the pics but a better idea on some dimensions would be great. I love your earlier idea of videos!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #163 on: Sep 25, 2017, 01:30 PM »
I am still alive. Several people have built my two man design, some have started the larger Michiana2 design, but have not seen one finished.
If someone has made a Michiana Shanty 2 let me know

Rick

Offline DBerkshire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #164 on: Nov 29, 2017, 11:51 AM »
Would love to see framing plans/instructions for this. Realistically I could probably copy based on the images you've provided but I like having that added information for padding, haha. Even drawings would be appreciated with some dimensions. If the universe aligned a step-by-step photo guide or sketch-up would be amazing :D Love the inventiveness of this project!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #165 on: Nov 30, 2017, 05:17 AM »
Because of the different dimensions of the supplies available, depending on where you live, it is very difficult to give proper measurements.
For instance the wall board I used. Even I cant find the same stuff anymore with all of the chain lumber stores disappearing.
I would recommend that you make a model from some stiff cardboard and see if you can make it fold properly, then you will have a good idea how to make yours.
Some guys have made my 2 man version, and the video on youtube just pasted 200,000 views last month. I haven't seen anyone make the Michiana 2 yet, although some have said?
As always I will answer any questions and offer a seat in my shanty to anyone.

Offline jodamax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #166 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:59 AM »
fantastic shack, i'm going to build one this summer,  thinking of a compromise between the two sizes either 6x8 or 5x7 any tips would help thanks your design is a inspiration to me and others

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.