Author Topic: River Ice fishing  (Read 1219 times)

redneck

River Ice fishing
« on: Dec 27, 2003, 08:52 PM »
I would like to hear from eveyone who does there icefishing on a river. Tell me how you rig your tip ups, where you fish,how you hook your minnows. I,m new to fishing the river though the ice. Live on it as soon as the ice goes out until it freeze up again. I do a lot of catfishing, and when the walleyes run its like a man die and went to heaven. Eat alot of suckers and carp.
We have a house are the river now so leave home to go icefishing.
Thanks Redneck

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
Re:River Ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2003, 10:22 PM »
The same tecniques on lakes work well for rivers. Particularly sandy areas produce a good amount of trout for me. Man be extra carful on rivers as they can chew ice up very fast, and unlike on a pond when you fall through a river the current takes your down streem away from the hole. Also the current is more powerfull when ice is present. Good luck and tight lines!
Anthony

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2003, 06:18 PM »
When I ice fish our rivers,I'm in my float tube... ;D
River ice was ok when we were kids...I guess...(didn't weigh 220 lbs. then)
be careful...
Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

sid vicious

« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2003, 10:06 PM »
Where you from redneck?  You sound a lot like you're living up on the red river here in Manitoba.  I don't fish rivers much but if you went on the Manitoba page there probably is someone who fishes the Red.  I hear live minnows on tip ups work well and ,well, the same sort of stuff you'd use on the lake.  I imagine the water's pretty dark so something flashy or smelly should bring them in.
luck.

redneck

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2003, 11:30 AM »
I'm from Shiocton WI, I'd love to move up to your neck of the woods. Any mason work up there? Maybe after I retire. I been out on the river and tried it, caught three Walleye 17" to 20" and a few small northern 1 was 32 1/2 " So I must be doing something right. Any tips would still be helpful. I'm open to any ideas to make myself a better fisherman.Maybe I could get the times we go to the store cut down from 4 times a year to 2.
Thanks for any help
Redneck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.