Author Topic: the swedish pimple  (Read 6006 times)

losojos

the swedish pimple
« on: Dec 23, 2003, 09:47 PM »
 :'( I NEED HELP ON USING THE PIMPLE, TECHNIQUES, BAIT OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT WOULD HELP ME CATCH FISH WITH THIS LURE....
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY AND ALL REPLYS ???

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
Re:the swedish pimple
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2003, 10:23 PM »
I've always had good luck fishing it just off the botom, with a minnow tail (about 1/2 inch or so). Jig it up and down a few times, then jerk it back and forth.  take pauses in between, and mix it up.  I've had great luck with Pimples over the years, I just keep it active, and change the action. A little meat always helps.
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

WalleyeWhacker

« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2003, 02:32 AM »
I always use the minnow head.  IMHO its the best lure for walleyes ever made!

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2003, 02:37 AM »
I start with the small ones for perch and blue gills. Get a few different colors, sizes and patterns. I use them with the hooks that comes with them. Loan the hooks up with spikes, fish just off the bottom. The jigging action that works for me is: let the pimple down to the bottom, rise up 1 to 2 ins. hold for a few sec, jerk up 2 to 3 ft. let it fall, hold for a few sec. then twitch it and hold, repeat. If the twitch works that"s all I do just twitch and hold.  GOOD LUCK!! Try your own jerk and twitch-hold action.
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2003, 04:02 AM »
Swedish pimples are the only jig you need you need on most lakes, just off the bottom to 30" up. I'm walking around with an asortment of 90 in my pockets. Wish I had ice. :-\
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2003, 06:02 AM »
How many of you guys have tried the sweedish pimple vingla?   it has like wings on the sides.  I bought one many years ago and the first day I used it I did twice as good on the big perch as any one around me, including my buddy that was using a regular S.P.
  The one I got had glow tape on the side and I put a little black ink eye on it...Now I have about ten of these I think they work great[Tipped w/ waxies,oakleaf grubs or minnow head].The jigging action described by perch inc. will work well.
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

jiggaFL-18

« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2003, 07:58 AM »
i also have a great S.P selection ...this is what i do  i tie a grub hook on my line high with about 12" -14" line left hanging then tie my swedish pimple...bait grub hook with spike or waxie and bait swedish pimple with a minnow head..........hold on ...2 perck at a time easy workds great here try it...and remember save a tree eat a beaver

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2003, 08:03 AM »
I know this might sound sick but I was turned onto it last year because I wacthed a guy catch more fish than me with this method......
He puts a perch eye or bluegill eye on the hook......after I changed to his method I started pulling up fish....crazy.
Jig it at different depths to see where you get the most strikes. Also, change your jig strokes on occasion....this will promote more stikes.
The Swedish pimple is a great ice fishing lure.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2003, 08:12 AM »
Jig it jerk it up a couple of ft let it rest.You'll get most of your hits while its setting still.Make sure its still for up to 30 seconds. Bait of your choice. I use spikes fish eyes or minnow parts. Check you regs. before using fish eyes though. Also try diffrent colors green blue and gold are good colors to start with. Good luck.
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

DipLip

« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2003, 08:12 AM »
I agree that meat's the way to go...and  that a perch eye is one of my favorites, Mugz!! These are baits that have less action on the fall than they do on the upward jig. They'll flip and dart as you work them, with a little wobble on the way down. Vertical baits like Little Cleos or Williams Whitefish show the opposite: less action on the up-sweep and major action on the fall. We use SP's primarily on walleyes are lakers. They're a great bait for 'ringing the dinner bell' on hard bottom. Like the rest of you guys, we work them all over the water column, but always start by bangin bottom. These lures are excellent open-water jiggin spoons, too. Up here we do well all seasons with glow, blue/silver, green/silver and solid chartreuse. Most we use are from 4-4" long. Those little 1"ers are deadly on deep perch too. Because they have less action on the fall, they work well with a short dropper and pearl/pinhead.  

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2003, 08:14 AM »
The perch eye is great when the action is really fast. They have a tough membrane covering so you don't have to rebait nearly as often. 12-15 fish per eye is common.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Fishmon

« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2003, 08:51 AM »
I use the small pimples to fish for deep (30-45 ft.) perch on Lake George.  This lure gets down faster than light jig and you can tip it with  grubs, minnow head/tail, or plastic tail.  Works great with small dropper above it with number 12 hook baited with grub.  You can catch 2 at a time this way.  Do not have to bounce it up and down too hard.  Occassionally you will hook into a northern or Lake trout which will give you a brief but memorable battle before they take off for good.  I have landed a few lakers on a light perch rig but it took forever.

BCSmits

« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2003, 03:23 PM »
Anyone ever caught any rainbows with these?

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2003, 04:08 PM »
I was wondering if anyone knows if these work for salmon?? Salmon usually cruise just under the ice when its first ice. I got a new Jig pole and some "Pimples" Has anyone ever got any just under the ice or whats the best way to catch salmon with them????? :-\

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
Deadstick the swedish pimple
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2003, 05:22 PM »
I commonly deadstick a swedish pimple tipped with a minnow. Jig it a few times every now & then, but mostly leave it alone. Going for pike, bigger pimple #7 or #8. Perch and bass #2 & 3 work for me. I always use live bait. They seem to struggle under the weight of the pimple and send out vibrations.

acsacmboy

« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2003, 08:12 AM »
this is my favorite bait to use for perch.  if you have shallow water(about 5-10 feet) use a size#2 witha 5inch dropper off the bottom of it(like a hali spoon) with a hook and a small minnow or perch eye. as you get deeper go a size up(no droppers, trebles). 3 for 10-18, 4 for about 14-22, 5,(highest size you really should go but i have caught some on 7's) 20-50+feet.
on the 2's i pretty much dead stick it on a slow day or when they are finicky. if they are agressive, just jig it about 1 foot up and down about 8 with slack in the line then the rest slowly let it down. other sizes i go about 1.5 feet of jigging.

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2003, 10:50 AM »
Swedish pimples are the only jig you need you need on most lakes, just off the bottom to 30" up. I'm walking around with an asortment of 90 in my pockets. Wish I had ice. :-\

Wow, I'd walk carefully, one wrong turn, and you could be tipping them with something a little larger in diameter than a perch eye! ;D :-[ ;D
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2003, 01:25 PM »
Anyone ever caught any rainbows with these?
Ive caught bows on pimples before, small one (1 1/2") or so with red prism tape, jigging in 20 feet of water in the middle of the water column

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2003, 01:36 PM »
Ummm, maybe its just me, but has anybody had trouble with hooking fish with Pimples? Seems like my hookup percentage is very low with pimples.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2003, 02:16 PM »
I've had great luck with the plain style and the vingla version.Tip with some meat is always good.let it hit botom bring it up some twitch it let relax. Rip it about a foot or so let it fall.Pay attention to your electronics,when it comes to presentation.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Ice_Box

« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2003, 02:17 PM »
Try the next size bigger trebble hook than the one that comes with the pimple.I hook a head of a fat head on the hook that faces away from the pimple. As for jigging I get the best action out of the pimple by holding it about 10 to 12 inches off bottom, and ripping my rod up about a foot to 18 inches then put rod back the bottom depth and let pimple free fall to a rest. most of the time the hit is on the fall or just after it stops. Pay attention because if the fish strikes on the drop, alot of the time there is know strike felt. You have to pay attention for the bounce at the end of the drop.

Good luck

Offline Gulfman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2003, 02:18 PM »
Hello All............Happy holidays :D
excuse my ignorance ??? but can u show me what a swedish pimple looks like and what size's are used for catching perch?? best colors etc.  never heard of them
thx..Gulf

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2003, 02:31 PM »
Hello All............Happy holidays :D
excuse my ignorance ??? but can u show me what a swedish pimple looks like and what size's are used for catching perch?? best colors etc.  never heard of them
thx..Gulf

http://www.baydenoclure.com/pimple.htm
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline Gulfman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2003, 02:42 PM »
Hey.............. great link Polar ;D ;D
any particular color work best for perch

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2003, 02:43 PM »
Ahhhh, I always take off the treble and put on the single hook. I do this in summer and it works great. I never thought that in winter it wouldnt work as well.
Cabelas is a good place to buy Pimples. I buy them a dozen at a time and get a 10% discount, but maybe somewhere else they are cheaper. They arent real expensive anywhere.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2003, 02:45 PM »
I'm with Mugz and JerryofWNY, a swedish pimple with a perch eye (spwpe) is the ticket! ;D  I remember one time when my daughter and I were jigging perch with rat finkees and spikes and picking up a few.  She then switched to the spwpe and outfished me ~ 5 to 1!  

I'm looking out the window at bright sunshine and the kids playing in shorts and a T-shirt???  WHERES THE ICE!! ;D
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.