Author Topic: Milwaukee M18 Power Source  (Read 4223 times)

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
Milwaukee M18 Power Source
« on: Dec 30, 2019, 10:25 AM »
Have been looking at the M18 power source just to charge the cell phone while out fishing. Anyone have any experience or thoughts about this product? Can it be used on any M18 size battery?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Milwaukee M18 Power Source
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2019, 11:51 AM »
will be fine for that. i use one.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2019, 11:59 AM »
What else do you use yours for 3300?

Offline PazzoCorso

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2019, 12:08 PM »
I use the Milwaukee Bluetooth speaker. Has the ability to recharge usb items. Pretty loud for it's size and no worries when it gets wet

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2019, 12:22 PM »
I use the MPower Source to run my Marcum. Never needed it to charge the phone.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2019, 03:23 PM »
What else do you use yours for 3300?

1/2 impact wrench for mechanical work. just got it back from a repair shop. developed a bad trigger switch that died in less than two years.

i'm putting links together for a 14vdc power adapter for ridgid batteries. the 12vdc sounds shaky from the milwaukee adapter plus it's only 12vdc and under 2amps. i don't need 12vdc or 14vdc or the 5vdc from tool batteries on the ice, i have the marcum shuttle and a amped outdoor lithium battery for my power needs and i have an otter box portable charger if need be.

if you also use ridgid batteries you might want to check this out
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=373133.0
 i might try to reuse the ridgid usb adapter to do dual propose if there's room inside if i decide to build one. i already own that too. would just be a nice option to have. i use my ridgid usb to charge off the ice and not the milwaukee or the otter box hardly ever. having the options is nice.

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2019, 09:14 PM »
I used M18 power source with both 5ah and 9ah batteries. I use power source to charge phone and to power fishfinders. works great. the only thing I would pay attention to is the on off switch. Its not very tight switching from on/off and I heard if you leave switch on when storing it will drain battery

Offline xiaolu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2020, 06:24 AM »
I use this Milwaukee M18 Power Source with a Milwaukee M18 9.0ah battery to power my Lowrance fishfinder (with a 7-inch monitor) all day on ice or on water.

Mostly ice fishing Lake Simcoe in southern Ontario, Canada, for lake trout (lakers), lake whitefish (whities), and jumbo yellow perch:-)

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2020, 09:21 AM »
I would be very cautious about connecting a M18 power source directly to my electronics. Several threads on this topic if you do a search. Based upon the testing of one of our members I went with a 3D printed adapter and a BUCK converter to use my M18 batteries as a power source. Here is one of the threads that discuss this.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=366396.msg3941030#msg3941030

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2020, 10:08 AM »
I would be very cautious about connecting a M18 power source directly to my electronics. Several threads on this topic if you do a search. Based upon the testing of one of our members I went with a 3D printed adapter and a BUCK converter to use my M18 batteries as a power source. Here is one of the threads that discuss this.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=366396.msg3941030#msg3941030

That looks like a voltage regulator off a riding lawnmower or snow blower looks identical to the one on my snowblower

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2020, 03:39 PM »
Have to chuckle, the voltage fluctuation is +/- 0.5 volts with the Milwaukee  power source, and that is supposed to cause concern for powering electronics? Look at the voltage range spec for any of your fishing electronics, it’s typically a very wide range far exceeding the half volt +/-  fluctuations of the power source....
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2020, 04:35 PM »
I use the USB port to charge my cell phone while on the ice and the connection on the side of the power source to provide 12 volts for the lights in my shanty.  I drop the power source/battery combination and the USB connected cell phone into a side pocket inside my shanty.  I then turn my shanty light on or off with an inline switch outside of the pocket, leaving my phone charging and the power source turned on the whole time. 

This power source becomes a second, backup battery inside my shanty should I need a spare battery for my auger.  The M18 Power Source would be better with two USB ports, and the the on/off switch could be beefed up, but it works.

Offline xiaolu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2020, 05:52 PM »
I use this Milwaukee M18 Power Source with a Milwaukee M18 9.0ah battery to power my Lowrance fishfinder (with a 7-inch monitor) all day on ice or on water.

I have used this setup to power my Lowrance ELITE-7Ti fishfinder on water and on ice for about two years, with no issues so far. The ELITE-7Ti is "demanding" around 0.7 amp 12V DC power/current, while this M18 power source's output 12V is rated at 1.0 amp. However, I believe there are some other fishfinders that require more than 1.0amp current, in which case this setup (M18 battery + M18 Power Source directly to power the fishfinder) could be a problem I say...
Mostly ice fishing Lake Simcoe in southern Ontario, Canada, for lake trout (lakers), lake whitefish (whities), and jumbo yellow perch:-)

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2020, 04:20 AM »
I run two power sources, one on my Marcum LX7, and one to power lights in and on my flipovers. I have six different lights in my 2 man, a spot/flood headlight, 4 interior led Cobb lights, and a UV cup. Can run all at once no issues. The LX7 is new this year so limited use so far, but a few trips on a boat have had 6hours straight without problems. Having spare batteries is nice  between the drill, shelter, and flasher I can just swap the three batteries if one is running low.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2020, 04:10 PM »
Have to chuckle, the voltage fluctuation is +/- 0.5 volts with the Milwaukee  power source, and that is supposed to cause concern for powering electronics? Look at the voltage range spec for any of your fishing electronics, it’s typically a very wide range far exceeding the half volt +/-  fluctuations of the power source....
If it was a fluctuation of a half volt then no not a big issue.
But when the sine wave looks like AC voltage then yes it can be an issue.
Most portable electronics that are battery powered are designed to run on DC not AC.
The Milwauke Power source was designed to power their heated clothing which is a resistive load which doesn't care if it's AC or DC hence the very dirty voltage.
Why chance toasting a very expensive piece of electrons when there are better solutions?

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2020, 05:37 PM »
hence the very dirty voltage.

If the DC electronics being powered are designed even marginally well, the small fluctuation will not cause any issues.  I personally wouldn't even call this dirty voltage.   

Marcum users might have reason to be legitimately concerned.    >:D

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2020, 06:19 PM »
I've been running everything fine with a Milwaukee power source, wired to Ridgid batteries, Vex, 12v LEDs, USB fan, phone charger..

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2020, 09:46 PM »
If it was a fluctuation of a half volt then no not a big issue.
But when the sine wave looks like AC voltage then yes it can be an issue.
Most portable electronics that are battery powered are designed to run on DC not AC.
The Milwauke Power source was designed to power their heated clothing which is a resistive load which doesn't care if it's AC or DC hence the very dirty voltage.
Why chance toasting a very expensive piece of electrons when there are better solutions?
A nice sin wave is what you want for anything irrespective of ac or dc. Was it square waving when oscillating? Ie cutting the top of the sine? What type of oscilloscope did you use to measure it? 

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2020, 09:55 PM »
If the DC electronics being powered are designed even marginally well, the small fluctuation will not cause any issues.  I personally wouldn't even call this dirty voltage.   

Marcum users might have reason to be legitimately concerned.    >:D

I agree. Except with the marcum comment though I know it was tongue in cheek. No I don’t have a marcum! Lol.  I think some may be confused as to some waves being different with respect to ac dc. Like I mentioned above, a smooth oscillation is desirable. I’m not seeing anything that would indicate sinusoidal irregularities, especially not to the degree that would cause damage to circuitry.

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2020, 09:59 PM »
You should see the dc to ac sine waves from your vehicles/boats or any gas portable generator. Can anyone say SQUARE WAVE lol.

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2020, 04:00 PM »
Mt204; what type of oscilloscope did you use to analyze the Milwaukee power source? I looked at the graphic analysis from a the link within this post, and if that’s what you’re referencing, that was just a graphical voltage representation. Has nothing to do with sinusoidal waves. You may have been thinking of half wave or full wave rectifiers on AC circuits? Anywho, the voltage reduction achieved in the Milwaukee power source is done by resistors. Also keep in mind that while the battery is rated x.x Ah @ 18v when you drop the voltage to 12v the x.x Ah will increase! So in other words the battery run time will last longer at 12 volts. Hope this helps.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2020, 05:14 PM »
Mt204; what type of oscilloscope did you use to analyze the Milwaukee power source? I looked at the graphic analysis from a the link within this post, and if that’s what you’re referencing, that was just a graphical voltage representation. Has nothing to do with sinusoidal waves. You may have been thinking of half wave or full wave rectifiers on AC circuits? Anywho, the voltage reduction achieved in the Milwaukee power source is done by resistors. Also keep in mind that while the battery is rated x.x Ah @ 18v when you drop the voltage to 12v the x.x Ah will increase! So in other words the battery run time will last longer at 12 volts. Hope this helps.
So.
At this point I'm at work.
Had been using a friends shop and his scope, I don't have the make model nor serial number, not even sure the last time it was certified and/or calibrated?
But sounds like you have access to that kind of equipment so how's about you hook your scope and test equipment to your Milwaukee power supply and load test it for us?
For all I know your the Engineer at Milwaukee and designed the darn thing, as it sounds like you've had one apart "the Milwaukee power source is done by resistors" and know how it works?
At this point I have toasted 4 of them testing them under different loads and "I" would not recommencement them for over a 2 amp non electronic load nor would "I" use one on ANY of my electronics!
If you feel confident enough to recommend them to other people that is you choice, best of luck.
And as usual your mileage may vary?
Cheers.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2020, 09:03 PM »
Been running my LX-5 for 3 years now, no problems. But maybe it's such a barbaric piece of equipment it don't matter what the voltage looks like? ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2020, 06:22 AM »
That’s why I just know all my ice gear is potentially disposable items. Something frys, something goes in the drink, something just flat out breaks because of it being old cold and plastic. It’s like gambling never do something like ice fishing if you are not willing to lose it all, cause it could happen at any given time
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2020, 10:37 PM »
I have been using the Milwaukee power source for close to 10 years on my Lowrance units, Vexilars and everything thing else that i need 12v for. When I check it with my fluke meter it shows 12v DC.... always someone who has a problem with something that works well... my 2c!!!!

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2020, 10:50 PM »
What about something like this?

I would love to run my Helix 7 with a M18 battery...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q71H57D/ref=dp_cerb_2#customerReviews
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Lowens110

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2020, 12:08 PM »

John,
     😂 most of your comment was over my head but I understand your battery life portion of it. For those simple folks like me 18v(100%) - 12v(66%) = 6v(33%) so you should gain 33% more battery life. 3ah battery becomes 4ah battery. With all the power tool batteries around and in use this makes complete sense to switch over to.

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2020, 01:24 PM »
John,
     😂 most of your comment was over my head but I understand your battery life portion of it. For those simple folks like me 18v(100%) - 12v(66%) = 6v(33%) so you should gain 33% more battery life. 3ah battery becomes 4ah battery. With all the power tool batteries around and in use this makes complete sense to switch over to.
As long as you don’t exceed the max 2.0amp load you should be fine. As to the other gentleman thinking I reverse engineered the Milwaukee power source, I did not. I am assuming based on performance that’s what Milwaukee developed. I doubt they used a linear voltage regulator as those are very inefficient and create A LOT of heat. So more than likely they used a simple buck converter circuit to achieve the voltage reduction. They more than likely used a cheap one made out of chinesium 🤣 which would explain the sporadic oscillating voltage

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.