Author Topic: NORTHERNS WITH FEATHERS  (Read 5368 times)

Offline fishermen50

• IceShanty Rookie
NORTHERNS WITH FEATHERS
« on: Mar 09, 2006, 07:29 AM »
???This past summer while casting for northerns I caught a 30 incher and after taking it off the storm lure.  I  noticed a couple sharp points sticking out from the belly area.This was real interesting so I pulled on them and 3 white feathers about 6 inches long came out. Never saw that before and I have caught plenty of Northerns.  Released her and off she went.   TIGHT LINES BE SAFE

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: NORTHERNS WITH FEATHERS
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2006, 10:26 AM »
Did you take any pictures? ???
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2006, 10:44 AM »
???THIS PAST SUMMER WHILE CASTING FOR NORTHERNS CAUGHT A 30INCHER AND AFTER TAKING IT OFF THE STORM LURE NOTICED A COUPLE FEATHERS STICKING OUT FROM THE BELLY AREA.  THIS WAS REAL INTERESTING AND I PULLED 3 WHITE FEATHERS ABOUT 6 INCHES LONG OUT.  THE QUILL ENDS WERE VERY SHARP SO I JUST YANKED THEM OUT.  NEVER SAW THAT BEFORE AND I HAVE CAUGHT PLENTY OF NORTHERNS.  RELEASED HER AND OFF SHE WENT.  ALSO THIS PAST WINTER ICE FISHING CAUGHT 3 DIFFERENT NORTHERNS WITH GILLS HANGING OUT AND DETACHED.  ALL FISH SEEMED NONE THE WORSE FROM THIS.  THEY STILL MANAGED TO GO AFTER AND CRAB A LARGE MINNOW.  THEY WERE RELEASED ALSO CAUSE THEY WERE FULL OF SPWAN.  TIGHT LINE BE SAFE
Maybe its just me but I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out what your talking about I have read this 5 times now and it makes less sense than it did the first time I read it. You went from white feathers to quils to gills hanging out, and yeah what mac said turn off the CAPS please...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

PIKEGUY

« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2006, 11:11 AM »
???THIS PAST SUMMER WHILE CASTING FOR NORTHERNS CAUGHT A 30INCHER AND AFTER TAKING IT OFF THE STORM LURE NOTICED A COUPLE FEATHERS STICKING OUT FROM THE BELLY AREA.  THIS WAS REAL INTERESTING AND I PULLED 3 WHITE FEATHERS ABOUT 6 INCHES LONG OUT.  THE QUILL ENDS WERE VERY SHARP SO I JUST YANKED THEM OUT.  NEVER SAW THAT BEFORE AND I HAVE CAUGHT PLENTY OF NORTHERNS.  RELEASED HER AND OFF SHE WENT.  ALSO THIS PAST WINTER ICE FISHING CAUGHT 3 DIFFERENT NORTHERNS WITH GILLS HANGING OUT AND DETACHED.  ALL FISH SEEMED NONE THE WORSE FROM THIS.  THEY STILL MANAGED TO GO AFTER AND CRAB A LARGE MINNOW.  THEY WERE RELEASED ALSO CAUSE THEY WERE FULL OF SPWAN.  TIGHT LINE BE SAFE

How do you Crab a minnow and what is spwan? lol  ;D I suppose we should be nice. Some people get offended by criticism

Offline BABOB

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Come outta the wet"
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2006, 11:23 AM »
Are you sure that was a northern? Maybe it was a flying fish.

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2006, 12:19 PM »

Northerns have been known to eat ducklings. Maybe thats what the feathers were from. JMO

Offline bigfish1556

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2006, 03:55 PM »
maybe the northern ate a duckling for breakfast, followed by a baby porcupine for brunch :D

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2006, 10:35 AM »
MAYBEE ITS HALD DUCK AND ITS SHEDDING ITS FINS HAHAHAAHAHAAA
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2006, 01:22 PM »

Man you GOTTA QUIT fishin' right below the Nuclear Power Plant  :wacko:
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2006, 01:32 PM »
here's its distant cousin

Have YOU Clamped YET ?

PIKEGUY

« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2006, 01:33 PM »
Man you GOTTA QUIT fishin' right below the Nuclear Power Plant  :wacko:

Try tellin
<--------------HIM that

Offline jacheesehead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2006, 01:56 PM »
I'm new to this forum.  Are you guys serious about not understanding what he's talking about?  The quill he refers to is the name for the sharp end of a feather.  Sounds to me like he caught a pike that had eaten a bird of some sort... the feathers, rather than working through the digestive tract got caught in the process and worked thier way out through the skin.  Kinda like when you get a sliver in your finger and it eventually will work it's way out if you can't pull it out.
The hanging gills is a testament to the sheer resilient nature of the pike.  I would guess that they have been caught and released.  I've released pike after having them inhale a lure to the point that a gill is ripped.  They are one tough fish to kill.

PIKEGUY

« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2006, 02:04 PM »
I'm new to this forum.  Are you guys serious about not understanding what he's talking about?  The quill he refers to is the name for the sharp end of a feather.  Sounds to me like he caught a pike that had eaten a bird of some sort... the feathers, rather than working through the digestive tract got caught in the process and worked thier way out through the skin.  Kinda like when you get a sliver in your finger and it eventually will work it's way out if you can't pull it out.
The hanging gills is a testament to the sheer resilient nature of the pike.  I would guess that they have been caught and released.  I've released pike after having them inhale a lure to the point that a gill is ripped.  They are one tough fish to kill.

Thank you captain obvious ;D ;D
 I think everyone's just goofing around. Just kidding about the captain obvious part ;) I'm in a  :wacko: mood

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2006, 07:24 PM »
Small animals were used on the Sacandaga Res. here in NY for years! I have heard Old Timers talke about using squirrel, mice, chicks, ducklings and even kittens! I could never do it!

I am certain though that a hungry pike will eat just about anything!

Offline chilly feet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bait?
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2006, 05:25 AM »
Fish on----------or bird---------
   or something. :wacko:

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2006, 06:55 PM »
As far as the original post goes:  Everytime I see a full post in capital letters, I assume they are screaming out load as they type.  Muskie Matt hit the nail on the head.

If it had feathers in it's system, it was probably more like a duck and not a duckling that it ate. I could be wrong, but I don't think ducklings have feathers.

fishing - It's a religion, not a sport.

Offline die hard22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2006, 02:45 PM »
This past summer I witnessed a red winged black bird get grabbed right off his perch on a reed in the shallows. The bird put up quite the fight but was ultimately taken by the fish which was either a largemouth or pike.

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2006, 09:10 PM »
I was walking across the ice this past weekend and noticed some white feathers laying on the ice....    and all I could think about was this thread.   :blink:
gair-z
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 16, 2006, 08:30 PM »
This past summer I witnessed a red winged black bird get grabbed right off his perch on a reed in the shallows. The bird put up quite the fight but was ultimately taken by the fish which was either a largemouth or pike.

That'd be Amazing to see!

I think it was probably a Pike.  I can't see a Bass doing that.  How far out of the water was the bird?

Offline zgoz89

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The bone collector
« Reply #19 on: Mar 16, 2006, 08:39 PM »
yeah that would be quite the show, i would love to have witnessed that!
A Couple Reasons Why Fishing is Better Than Sex!

1. Nobody expects you to Fish with the same partner for the rest of your life

2. There are no Fishing-transmitted diseases.

3. If your partner takes pictures or videotapes of you Fishing,you don't have to worry about them showing up on the Internet if you become famous.

4. It's perfectly respectable to Fish with a total stranger.

Offline die hard22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 17, 2006, 11:16 AM »
That'd be Amazing to see!

I think it was probably a Pike.  I can't see a Bass doing that.  How far out of the water was the bird?

It really was awesome to see. :o The bird was grabbed off a reed about a foot or so above the water and taken under and then brought back to the surface (this took place in only a couple feet of water right in the lily pads and reeds) the bird desprately tried to fly away as the fish probably had hold of his legs and body. He went under and back up a couple of times until the scene became perfectly calm. :'(
My buddies assumed it was a pike as well but my friend had told me a story about catching a 5lb large mouth before, he cleaned it only to reveal a red winged black bird.

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 17, 2006, 07:57 PM »
The length of a red winged black bird is 7.25 inches.  That means that if it was a Pike, it had to have been at least 10lbs!  Not sure about a Bass.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Mar 17, 2006, 08:49 PM »
Never underestimate a pikes ability to get somthing in its mouth. I have caught two pound pike on eight inch lures! I once found a dead northern floating with another northern of comperable size stuck in its mouth! Still, this post makes no sense to me.

Offline die hard22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 18, 2006, 12:25 PM »
The length of a red winged black bird is 7.25 inches.  That means that if it was a Pike, it had to have been at least 10lbs!  Not sure about a Bass.

My old man once caught a 21'' walleye with an 18'' walleye inside of it. The story about my friend catching a bass with a red winged black bird inside of it might sound far fetched too but guess what? I don't just sit around all day thinking up fishing story fairy tales and then type them out for fun. Why is it that a bird that is 7.2571092 inches long can't be swallowed by a pike less than 10lbs. Fish don't swallow prey sideways. You can check your facts book but I doubt that a red winged black bird is 7.2576846 inches in diameter.

Offline keyholeiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • OH where OH where are the fish?
« Reply #24 on: Mar 18, 2006, 01:36 PM »
  About 10 years ago I found a dead walleye approx 26 to 28 inches. with a walleye  almost the same size lodged in its mouth head first. both had been dead for some time. they stunk so bad that I didn't try to measure them and didn't have a camera. At the time. The fish that was swallowed was the biggest walleye I had ever seen. let alone the swallowee

Offline jdjyoung

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get the gaf, I'm catching this one!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 18, 2006, 02:28 PM »
 Hate to do it.....

But it sounds to me that they were giving each other some "head" and something went seriously wrong!

Soo sorry ::)

JD
" I'll take a bad day of fishing over a good day at work anytime!"

Offline fishermen50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 18, 2006, 05:06 PM »
Hate to do it.....

But it sounds to me that they were giving each other some "head" and something went seriously wrong!

Soo sorry ::)

JD
  That's Great, never could've guessed this would have turned out to be such
a wonderful thing for gamefish to be doing,  But to give your life WOW...

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 18, 2006, 06:25 PM »
Bass have been known to jump right out of the water and grab blackbirds off of reeds.  I've seen popper plugs for bass painted up in red-winged and yellow-winged blackbird colours just because they do that.  A pike will bite anything if it's in the mood.  Cigar butts, falsies, silverware....... if they were big white feathers they probably came off a seagull.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline heywood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 18, 2006, 06:36 PM »
hey im new to this site it is awsome!i wish we still had ice but i had a decent year. my first day was 12/08/05.till 3/12/o6 but there was a month off and on were it wasnt safe. i live in dudley and fish heavly on webster lake it is a good body of water

Offline fishermen50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 19, 2006, 09:27 AM »
Bass have been known to jump right out of the water and grab blackbirds off of reeds.  I've seen popper plugs for bass painted up in red-winged and yellow-winged blackbird colours just because they do that.  A pike will bite anything if it's in the mood.  Cigar butts, falsies, silverware....... if they were big white feathers they probably came off a seagull.
[/quote

I am sure that is what it had eaten.  Their are many seagulls on this lake at times.  Yes they do go after silverware.  I made a spoon plug a few years ago, and used it in Canada.  It did work great and I lost it on a broken line on the same trip.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.