Author Topic: My evening rant.....why can't people just discuss things?  (Read 1708 times)

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
This is probably heading for the Grumpy Old Men Shanty but what the hey. Why can't people (myself included) just discuss somehting without resulting to name calling and insults? Why? I try not to be ignorant and when someone proves me wrong I will swallow it and move on. I can do that. But why can't DISCUSSIONS happen on a DISCUSSION forum? Why does it always end in a keyboard scrap (usually cross-border)?? Drives me up the wall.

Just blowing off some steam
KRIS

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline bwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • To fish or not to fish...is a stupid question
Re: My evening rant.....why can't people just discuss things?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2006, 02:39 AM »
Ok, I read the post............valium anyone? 
The moon is much smaller than the earth, however, it is much farther away.

Offline garvin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2006, 06:05 AM »
For one thing people act differently on the computer, in cars or anything that they are anonymous or semi anonymous. In cars some people flip others off, and do other things they wouldn't do on the sidewalk because of the "nose effect "   (if you upset me on the street you may get a "punchinanose") I live on a busy corner..lot of strangers go by,..if I or you  or anyone is out on my lawn or just standing on the corner, you will find that generally the passinger of a car going around the corner  will stare at you all the time the driver gos around the corner. The same person if walking will generally try NOT to make eye conact with someone standing on the corner.Why? one is not as "real" as the other.  I once shared an office with a guy that was blustery and insulting on the telephone. If he had to meet someone in person he was a changed man. A Mr Milquetoast has a chance to be  brave on the telephone or a computer. I'm also pretty sure they don't recognize this in themselves and feel they have courage of their convictions at all times.

hali-man

« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2006, 06:37 AM »
It looks like RG took care of that other thread.  ;)
Someone probably has a week to calm down a little...

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2006, 08:13 AM »
Garvin, "nose effect" never heard that one before!!! I like it, I'm gonna have to use it!! 
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2006, 01:12 PM »
This is probably heading for the Grumpy Old Men Shanty but what the hey. Why can't people (myself included) just discuss somehting without resulting to name calling and insults? Why? I try not to be ignorant and when someone proves me wrong I will swallow it and move on. I can do that. But why can't DISCUSSIONS happen on a DISCUSSION forum? Why does it always end in a keyboard scrap (usually cross-border)?? Drives me up the wall. Example: (As you can see I am not excluded from guilt)

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=33909.15

Just blowing off some steam
KRIS

The answer to this ? is simple every fisherman I know (MYSELF INCLUDED) is a SMARTASS, Why because we are fisherman we like to make fish look like fools by taking the bait or inhaling the jig.. Do you kinda see the relation.. Anyway, I have been visiting this site for going on 4 years or so now and have come to learn that you have to do a little critical thinking before you let your fingers fly.. You got to watch out you don't offend anybody and if you do you will usually get a 3 page finger lashing, because this is the good ole U.S. OF A and the majority is always right.. Me myself ? I look at all points of view and usually go with the "to each there own concept" yeah I might not agree and I might be way out in left feild on the matter, but somtimes (not always) its better to keep your thoughts or ideas to yourself and let people think your a jackass then to let your thoughts or ideas fly around the forum and leave no doubt that you are..

But then I guess we would have no use for this forum would we.. WOW I just blew my own mind.. yeah I gotta lay off..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

billybono

« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2006, 01:26 PM »
eh somtimes the rants are funny to read ;)...and sometimes its fun to stir the pot ;)

billybono

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2006, 02:04 PM »
I think Garvin hit the nail on the head.... some people have to act tough  :flex: on a forum by either contradicting someone's opinion or calling names.
P.S. BillyBono- I like your signature  8)
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2006, 12:42 AM »
Sometimes it's fun to stir the pot. That was not stirring the post. Posts have been deleted. For the record, those of you that don't know, iceintheveins is also Mackdaddy21. Now I understand why there were so many random insult posts last night. That boy has some problems that need medical attention.

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2006, 01:09 AM »
Sometimes it's fun to stir the pot. That was not stirring the post. Posts have been deleted. For the record, those of you that don't know, iceintheveins is also Mackdaddy21. Now I understand why there were so many random insult posts last night. That boy has some problems that need medical attention.
Maybe he has DownSyndrome That could explain Why he sticks his tongue out in all his pics.. ;D

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2006, 09:54 AM »
Some are just "thick", while others get their kicks from "stirring the pot"! Some fall under both categories. You can show proof to some members that what they posted is wrong, and they still won't believe the proof. There have been several posts that I have wanted to respond to in the past, but just bite my tongue. Sometimes that's best. It doesn't take long to figure out who is full of it, and who isn't.
Ken                                          

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2006, 07:21 PM »
Well it's the same old thing....11,000 members and every once in a while we have a problem. Seems to cycle though...hopefully we'll be free of that kind of garbage for a good while to come.

If not....
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING

RG

has the garbage been taken "out" so to speak????  Thank you if it has been......Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.