Author Topic: What to heat my ice house with.  (Read 4219 times)

Offline andy3080

• IceShanty Rookie
What to heat my ice house with.
« on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:08 PM »
My dad and I are going to be building an 8 x 10 ice house on a popup camper frame this spring. My biggest concern was what to heat it with in order to stay warm at all times while on the ice. I have already ruled out a wood stove because I don't want to deal with the hassle of getting wood and dealing with the mess it can create. What I would like to use is an LP furnace style heater that i can mount to the wall I am just unsure of ones that will heat the entire shack evenly and also be safe to use that has an air vent built in. I am going to be mounting two 20lb LP tanks on the front tongue of the trailer so that is where the connection will be coming in at. If anyone has any insight on what they use or would recommend it would be much appreciated thanks.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: What to heat my ice house with.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:13 PM »
Empire Model 215 Direct Vent Heater. Do a search. I have one in my wheel house and I could fish in shorts if I wanted.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline andy3080

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:15 PM »
Looks awesome but i should have put one more feature and that is cost. Im not trying to spend as much on the heater as i am building the shack. Thank you for the info though.

Offline andy3080

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:32 PM »
I'm wondering if this will for find for an 8 x 10 shack? Being it says vent free does that mean all the moisture is automatically pushed to the outside by it?
http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=57&id=174

Offline michiganpolarbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:38 PM »
what about a big buddy heater like at this link? i would hard line from the tung hitch to the the heater but would use a buddy heater regulator hose the one that does not need a filter. also wonder if you need to make a enclosed area to prevent the rest from burning the shanty? i got the buddy heater it heats a 200 sq foot area in my 6x6 foot shanty i only had it on low  which is like 4000 btu's which is 36 square foot and it heats it real well. now it says to will heat up to 200 sq foot which yours is 8x10 foot area? or 80 sq foot which yours is twice the size of mine so i would think a big buddy heater would be best for it heat setting of 4000 , 9000 , and 18,000 btu's  i don't think it is wall mount able and make sure your shanty is almost air tight it should heat it no problem on 9,000 btu's if not there is all way 18,000 btu's

https://www.mrheater.com/ProductFamily.aspx?catid=41

if you don't think that will work try one of these.

https://www.mrheater.com/ProductFamily.aspx?catid=57

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:41 PM »
No vent-free means the moisture is not vented to the outside, as the heater is vent free. What you want is a direct vent heater. Heaters will be deeply discounted pretty soon. The big boxes will be looking to rid themselves winter of inventory.

Offline andy3080

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:44 PM »
No vent-free means the moisture is not vented to the outside, as the heater is vent free. What you want is a direct vent heater. Heaters will be deeply discounted pretty soon. The big boxes will be looking to rid themselves winter of inventory.

So if i did install one such as this http://reviews.northerntool.com/0394/177218/procom-vent-free-propane-ice-house-heater-10-000-btu-300-sq-ft-heating-area-reviews/reviews.htm or this http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=57&id=174 id have to vent the shack to prevent moisture from building up in the shack?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:55 PM »
I'm wondering if this will for find for an 8 x 10 shack? Being it says vent free does that mean all the moisture is automatically pushed to the outside by it?
http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=57&id=174

vent free means you install the vent there is not venting system to it,  you need some sort of fresh air inlet  to run it constantly.  you got to have enough infiltration air or make up air not to shut the system off  so if they say a 6x8 inch opening for fresh air to the outside infiltration air is like how well the structure is air tight and make up air is vents to the out side to make up for the use by the heater air in the room etc... it is on page 4-6 in this book for the 20,000 btu heater i am sure the 10,000 btu heater is different  and no the moisture will stay in the room and evaporate if there is moisture lol's the reason for the vent is to make up the oxygen burned by the devise. if you cut hole in the floor make sure there not blocked buy snow when you go to use it  you need some mean of fresh air at all times.

https://www.mrheater.com/upload/newsletter/MHVFR20-30TBLP_70809_Rev13A.pdf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:59 PM »
So if i did install one such as this http://reviews.northerntool.com/0394/177218/procom-vent-free-propane-ice-house-heater-10-000-btu-300-sq-ft-heating-area-reviews/reviews.htm or this http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=57&id=174 id have to vent the shack to prevent moisture from building up in the shack?

it is so you don't pass out form co poisoning. but on these unit they would not restart cause there is a low oxygen cut off. 

Offline andy3080

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:10 PM »
So in other words with the 2 systems i posted above would work great just make sure shack is properly vented and have a CO detector at all times

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:11 PM »
So in other words with the 2 systems i posted above would work great just make sure shack is properly vented and have a CO detector at all times

bingo!

Offline andy3080

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:13 PM »
Ok. That is great info guys thanks. I guess my next question is is there anything special you have to do to the wall where it will be mounted? We will have standard insulation throughout the shack and some sore  of material over that.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:20 PM »
Ok. That is great info guys thanks. I guess my next question is is there anything special you have to do to the wall where it will be mounted? We will have standard insulation throughout the shack and some sore  of material over that.

has to me mounted in a way not to burn the walls around it. or the carpet or ceiling or any thing in front of it the measurement are in this manual. for a 8x10 x6 foot shanty =480 dived by 50 equals 9.6 or 9600 btu's max needed  10,000 is a tad over kill. if your going to use or run led lighting then it will be fine. now if you run a lp lantern it will be over kill cause you have to figure in the lantern too. just a tip that why i said that 9000 btu buddy heater is perfect...

http://www.mrheater.com/upload/newsletter/VentfreeBuddyWallMount2210970586Rev12A.pdf

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:25 PM »
A direct vent heater draws fresh air for combustion from outside and vents combustion to the outside through the side of the shack. A heater that isn't direct vent uses air from inside the shack for combustion and gasses plus moisture resulting from combustion are released into the inside of the shack.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:30 PM »
A direct vent heater draws fresh air for combustion from outside and vents combustion to the outside through the side of the shack. A heater that isn't direct vent uses air from inside the shack for combustion and gasses plus moisture resulting from combustion are released into the inside of the shack.

yep!

Offline andy3080

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:32 PM »
Should i also install a small fan on the highest point of the shack and if so what size?

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:39 PM »
You can do as other posters say OR you could bring my friend...he's full of hot air!
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:41 PM »
Should i also install a small fan on the highest point of the shack and if so what size?

you don't have to it just helps bring the hot air down to the floor of the shack.   it is all up to you and your power requirements? me i would leave the fan out and worry about what your going to use for lights. like if you going to use lp lighting in the shanty or led light off a battery.. and figure how to charge the batteries  is going to be the other problem   i  would suggest solar power but it can be expensive to add on but since your already using a 20 lb L.p. tank i would think about the L.p. lights but that is just me?

Offline andy3080

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:01 PM »
Thanks again guys for all the info. I will be postings pics of when the shack is done.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #20 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:05 PM »
I have two of these lights in my hard side. I love them for the extra heat they produce. The only thing that I have an issue with them is that I have to put new mantels on the lights every trip out . And I have to get a new globe for one of them, I forgot to tighten the screw that holds it in place before I came home one time.    :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline chasdc1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2014, 10:49 AM »
Make sure the CO detector is placed so it will go off before you get exposed to significant CO levels.
CO is heavier that O2 so the sensor should be placed at a low level in the house.
Don't count on an O2 sensor on the heater to cut off in time to prevent CO poisoning.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.