Author Topic: Walleye problem  (Read 2650 times)

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
Walleye problem
« on: Oct 21, 2003, 04:37 PM »
Hey guys,

Just found the site the other day very nice. I have only been ice fishing for about 3 years now with limited success, And i hjave been fishing for walleye for about 2 months now. I dont have a vexilar or any similiar type of unit so i am basically going along with a topography map on the ice... Anyways, The problem is most of the lakes i will be fishing this winter all have a huge population of alewives which stick close to the bottom and the walleye can just swim through them with there mouths open and be fed, and they wont even look at a shiner, and the bait store stops selling alewives on the 31st. Any suggestions. I plan on jigging more this year with maybe 2 tip ups set up just so i will always have one line in the water. Thanks in advance.

-Evan

P.S.- I have some frozen Alewives but i dunno bout them.

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
Re:Walleye problem
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2003, 10:04 AM »
I use frozen shinners here in Mn alot. Don't see why frozen alewives shouldn't work.
In Mn we are allowed 2 lines on the ice. I jig with one line and have a deadstick set up for the other. Not much for tip-ups.
My deadstick set up has been used with a slip bobber and extra line in the hole..... this year I'm looking forward to using the Rock-n-Reel. No bobber is required. The rod becomes the strike indicator..... very slick idea.

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2003, 02:48 PM »
Yea i was thinking of putting them on a fire ball jig with a stinger in the back.

-Evan

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2003, 08:54 PM »
The main thing you should do is buy a flasher. This will be worth it's weight ten times in gold. Go with the Vexilar FL-8 or Fl-18. And maybe look for other lakes with less forage if possible. High forage lakes like this are tough to have much success on.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline GoFish123

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Fishermen don't yield to the weather."
Re: Walleye problem
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2004, 06:19 PM »
Use a vex and take your jig for example an airplane jig and bounce it off the bottom.  This sturs up the mud and attracts fish.  U may want to put a SMALL shiner on larger jigs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.