The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Gas on Gear  (Read 2635 times)

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
Gas on Gear
« on: Jan 08, 2009, 12:38 PM »
Just gathering some insight.  Went out yesterday and found my auger tipped on its side in my sled.  I noticed the mixed gas film on the surface of the snow melt in the sled.  I still had rods and everything in there from our previous trip.  Everything sort of smells like gas.  I changed out the jigs and I still caught fish yesterday and as far as I know it hasn't hurt anything but you can never be to careful.  Has anything like this happened to anyone else.  If so any suggestions.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gas on Gear
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2009, 03:00 PM »
Have had gas on my hands from filling auger before and was the only person to not be catching anything for a couple hours. I couldnt figure it out. Finally started having my son bait my hook and began catching fish.

Offline Will_hunt_4_food

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2009, 03:04 PM »
I did the same thing a few years ago. Ended up having to change out all of my line as well. The gas or the mix one of the two weekend the line so much I was breaking off on dink perch.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:43 PM »
I truly believe I catch more fish now since I quit smoking a couple years ago.  My hands used to smell like cigarettes bad, and I'm sure the knots I tied and lures I handled did too.  My advise to you is to give that stuff to a local kids fishing organization and buy some new stuff.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2009, 09:07 AM »
Just gathering some insight.  Went out yesterday and found my auger tipped on its side in my sled.  I noticed the mixed gas film on the surface of the snow melt in the sled.  I still had rods and everything in there from our previous trip.  Everything sort of smells like gas.  I changed out the jigs and I still caught fish yesterday and as far as I know it hasn't hurt anything but you can never be to careful.  Has anything like this happened to anyone else.  If so any suggestions.
maybe you could spray all your gear with a 50\50 mixture of simple green biodegradable degreaser and water and then rinse could save you from buying all new gear

Offline rooster740

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2009, 03:55 PM »
Now how does this work? Other people say to put wd-40 on your hook!
Ya gotta be tuff when yer dumb

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2009, 04:42 PM »
Gas is different than WD-40.

When sprayed on fishing bait, WD-40 covers up the scent of human hands on the bait to better lure fish, according to USA Today. The WD-40 Company receives hundreds of letters from consumers confirming this use, but prefers not to promote WD-40 as a fishing lure since the petroleum-based product could potentially pollute rivers and streams, damaging the ecosystem.

Main ingredients, from the material safety data sheet, are:

* 50%: Stoddard solvent (mineral spirits, somewhat similar to, but not the same as, kerosene)
* 25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant, carbon dioxide is used now to reduce considerable flammability)
* 15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
* 10-%: Inert ingredients

Offline Will_hunt_4_food

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2009, 04:53 PM »
I used to use wd-40 on bait for catfishing when I used to live in Iowa. Worked great but then I figured it wasn't good for the water or the fact that the fish would have ingested wd-40 and I planned on eating it the fish.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2009, 05:49 PM »
thanks for all the posts guys.
I am, however not in a position to get all new gear.  The wd-40 thing sounds like a good idea.  I might throw my jigs that smell like gas in a bath of it and probably just change out my line.  Honestly though I'm still catching fish.  The night I discovered my situation I slammed the perch, 15-20 in an hour.  Next day not so good on the perch but did get a couple trout and had one very nice fish on that I never got to see so I don't know what it was.  Still I get very weary, and I hate getting skunked.  Line isn't terribly expensive and its probably worth grabbing a few spools and replacing it. 

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2009, 06:52 PM »
Use some Dawn dish soap on anything you are keeping. Its an excelent degreaser. And I cant think of anything it could hurt.

Offline kwil226

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2009, 10:59 PM »
When backpacking in glacier they say not to put dawn or other dish soaps into the water. My guess would be that it isn't to great for the water. But people drive there trucks on the water and lose a few ever year that polute much more im sure than your Dawn.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2009, 12:53 AM »
I worry more about the gas in my Carharts  :sick:

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2009, 12:54 PM »
It probably wouldnt hurt the water much, but us Montanans want to keep our water clean so maybe the Biodegradable simple green mentioned above is the way to go. They would have a reason for saying not to use dish soap. But what ever works for you. Glad your still catching fish, thats the big thing.

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2009, 02:38 PM »
a minute amount of dish soap isn't gonna make one bit of difference to the water quality and neither is WD-40.  The main reason people like to use 'biodegradable' stuff when backpacking is so they can pat themselves on the back for being 'green.'  The fact is that the quanties in question are not significant enough to cause any concern.  A typical rainfall would drop 1000X more pollutants (chemicals and compounds dissolved or adsorbed to the rain drops) than a couple hundred folks using wd-40 or dawn dish soap.

I'd just change the line out and soak the jigs and call it good.  I would think gas on the line wouldn't be good for the structural integrity of the line and would probably cause weakness to develop.  If you are feeling really gungho then get some anson (sp??) oil and douce the jibs.  Lots of guys use anson oil on their plastics to mask human scent; also, i think that fish are attracted to it maybe??  But the crap does smell terrible ;D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2009, 03:59 PM »
whats anson oil I've haven't heard of it

Offline spearfishen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2009, 05:14 PM »
if your still catchen fish than
its a moot point

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2009, 10:00 PM »
Actually, I spelled it wrong; its anise oil (no not anus oil, that's disgusting ;D).  I don't know where you buy it, I never have, but I don't think it is too hard to find.  Lots of old time panfishermen use it on their plastics.  Most of the little micro-plastics for ratfinkies and other little tiny panfish jigs are packaged in anise oil.  I think it kinda smells like black licorice, but I do know it is oily and smelly and hard to get off your hands.  Some of the old timers used to rub their hands with it in order to remove human scent when baiting up, ect.

Here's the wiki link to the stuff:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anise

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2009, 12:36 AM »
one update on progress so far. 
1....Soak the jigs in wd-40 done.  I didn't use the simple green for one reason.  Im trying to get scent off of the lures. Why add the possibility of more unwanted scent if you don't have to.  The jigs were fairly protected from gasoline exposure and like I said I've been catching fish.
2...Respool lines.  Seems simple enough.  Thought I'd go the extra mile and try flouro.  I use it fly fishing almost exclusively and swear by it so why not try it ice fishing.  Well I hope that it catches enough fish to compensate for the unbelievable line memory that this product has.  If I didn't know better I would think I was using piano wire.  I can't believe how difficult it was to work with.  I won't name names but the product's name started with a P and ended in Line(6# test).  The stuff is absolutely miserable to try to put on a reel.  18 bucks for a spool right.  Well I believe at that rate I've got about 8 bucks siting in my trash can right now.  Spooled up the first one. , a half spool with old line as backing.  Good.  Spooled the second, same scenario and good.  Bought a new reel with crap line I figured it would just be best to replace and total havoc was reaped on my operation.  Got it spooled and I tested the drag.  It was fine for about two pulls then it got stuck and jammed all the way to the very beginning of what I had on there.  Cut off as much as I could to get to where I needed to get to and tried again.  Probably 5 bucks waisted at this point.  Repeat and the same frickin thing happened again.  A few curse words and more cut line later I finally got it spooled.  As previously mentioned if it out fishes the other rods fine, if not never again will I mess with such crap line.  Any little kink and bam its permanent.  I love the stuff fly fishing and I know its a bit stiffer and thats why I like it but wow I would have never in a million years would have guessed this would be the case with spinning tackle.  From now on I think if anything I'll keep a spool in the box and use it simply as tippet material.  (that is if it works any better or else forget it.)

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2009, 02:54 PM »
Was it the p-line ice line? Im wondering because I was wanting to try some. If so I wont waste the money.

Offline kwil226

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2009, 07:17 PM »
a minute amount of dish soap isn't gonna make one bit of difference to the water quality and neither is WD-40.  The main reason people like to use 'biodegradable' stuff when backpacking is so they can pat themselves on the back for being 'green.'  The fact is that the quanties in question are not significant enough to cause any concern.  A typical rainfall would drop 1000X more pollutants (chemicals and compounds dissolved or adsorbed to the rain drops) than a couple hundred folks using wd-40 or dawn dish soap.

I'd just change the line out and soak the jigs and call it good.  I would think gas on the line wouldn't be good for the structural integrity of the line and would probably cause weakness to develop.  If you are feeling really gungho then get some anson (sp??) oil and douce the jibs.  Lots of guys use anson oil on their plastics to mask human scent; also, i think that fish are attracted to it maybe??  But the crap does smell terrible ;D

Id like to know where you got your info on the air polution facts and also that would also stem from people not being "green" when they had the option to.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2009, 09:00 PM »
The p line was just a regular spool not the fancy green stuff that was even pricier.  I couldn't find any big spools of ice line and had a bunch of reals to respool so I flipped for the regular stuff.
However.
I don't know for sure but whatever I did worked.  Maybe it was just the day I don't know.  There is a pond in town I fish quite a bit and I think I am getting to know pretty well.  I had said I was still catching fish and I was.  But today was different.  Not only were we catching them, we were hammering them.  I rigged one rod.  By the time I had another rig down the whole the first one was going off.  Got another rig down for my wife and another went off.  Two fish before getting all rigged and my wife missed two bites while I was dropping the final rod.  I got to start jigging at this point and normally the perch there are pretty soft biters.  Not today.  I use a vexilar and I think its an excellent tool for reading "mood".  Normally they come slowly off of the bottom stare at it 15-30 seconds and then soft soft soft bites.  Today they would charge the bait and slam it HARD.  We caught several perch one brown one rainbow one sucker and a number of what I believe were suckers on that we lost.  I only think the were suckers because suprisingly they were suspended (at least the one I caught was)
So Im at a loss.  I don't know if it was the wd-40 bath, the flouro, just getting the smell of gas off, Maybe just a weather pattern or a combination of each.  If it was the flouro however, I would still recommend using a 2, 4, or a 6 foot tippet section.  Its to expensive to cut bundles off of the spool.

Offline scotty2hotty

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISHING BUDDY
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:41 AM »
 Some old boys up north taught me to use vinegar to take the stink off your hands. You could try wiping your gear down with it.  They all carried a small jar of it and would dip their hands in it before baiting up.  I still use it especially after sun screen and gassing up.
htt

Offline kwil226

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2009, 11:36 PM »
I take just a nip a powerbait once ive tyed and put maggots on my jig and rub it over any line and and part of the jig I've touched. Seems to pick-up more fish when their finicky.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.