The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: to go custom or not go custom  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Lsranger406

• Team IceShanty Regular
to go custom or not go custom
« on: Jan 11, 2018, 04:59 PM »
Looking into getting a couple new rods. Would you go custom or off the shelf? Im not worried about the extra cost for custom but is it really worth it. Guess just want a bunch of opinions. What would you get? From who?
America is all about speed hot,nasty,bad a** speed

Offline MNpup

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: to go custom or not go custom
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Della Bay Custom Rods, easy choice! - https://www.dellabay.com/ice-fishing-rods-for-sale

- Top notch craftsmanship
- Quality blanks
- Custom cork grip
- Titanium guides (extremely light/sensitive recoil guides that don't ice up nearly as much as ceramic guides)
- Reasonably priced, especially compared to other custom rods
- Made to your desired length
- Great customer service

They're very responsive on social media and via email if you have questions or requests.

Always nice to support a small business too!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2018, 05:35 PM »
“Worth” is a very subjective term. If you are considering going custom, it already has worth to you.

Me? I love em and they are worth it to me. I own 3 Tuned Up Custom Rods. One 30” Bullwhip and two 30” Precision Noodles. I went custom mostly because I like gear. I also hate spring bobbers. I was pretty much in the same boat as you and wanted some new rods and didn’t care about price. I watch a lot of In-Depth Outdoors and TUCR is one of there sponsors. After watching 4-5 seasons of them using those rods and seeing how well the spring tips and backbone transition was, I ordered a Bullwhip. Great rod for heavy tungsten, light spoons, smaller jiggin/rippin raps, it would even make a good bobber rod (using a float) for crappie minnows. Smaller tungsten still indicates strikes just fine but they don’t load the tip as much as I’d like.

I then wanted a rod I could use more efficiently with smaller tungsten (2.5mm-3mm) and flies. So, the next season I got a Precision Noodle. Again, great rod. It serves its purpose very well and can handle the occasional pike/bass. This fall, I got another Precision Noodle just for a little versatility. It doesn’t disappoint either. So, my vote for custom rods is TUCR. Their components are top quality along with their customer service. All rods also come with a 5 (five) year “common sense” warranty and you can have them build you practically any rod for any species you can think of. What are you targeting and how do you plan on using the rod? Sit and jig? Run and gun? Panfish? Lakers?

These are my TUCR’s. 30”. In a Plano Bow-Max takedown recurve bow case.

I’ve also gotten to the point where I can build myself a “custom” quality rod for about $30. Recoil guides are very nice but aren’t necessary for an ice rod and add about $30-$40 dollars to a build. I don’t think I’ll buy an off the shelf rod anymore unless my local store starts carrying TUCR or selling rod building supplies.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline whiptail

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2018, 05:51 PM »
I'm sold on custom ice rod I use and sell Big John Big Rod out of Kalispell, he makes heavy to light rods you can contact him on face book Big John Big Rod. 
Whiptail
Pete's Tackle Shop

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:45 PM »
Custom....no question or comparison to anything on the shelf. Check out Brickers Custom Rods...but you wont get the rod until next spring  :)

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:22 PM »
I'm going to be contrary here..all I've ever used is off the shelf poles. If you're willing to spend the money, you can get some nice poles. One I found (literally found on an open lake in the middle of nowhere north dakota during college), was medium strength, with a quick tip...wonderful pole that I've since picked up another off the shelf...and my best jig pole for open water is an off the shelf Scheels pole...not the same as an ice pole, but similar situation. As long as you know what you're looking for and what strength and features you want, you can always find it. Also, I guess it just depends on what you want! The thought of custom is nice, besides it's one of a kind craftsmanship...for example, I tie all my own crawler harnesses because I prefer my setup and it's cool to catch fish on your own handmade item. In the end, it's all your money and depends on what you want. Whatever makes you happy, go for it! If you want custom, do it. You can't go wrong either way!

Offline Lsranger406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:49 PM »
Fishing mostly for perch and trout. Do one pike weekend a year. Lots of run and gun. If I don't mark fish I move. Just thinking ahead and making a plan on how to convince the wife that me and the daughter need all new stuff. I'm 6'5 and right now am using these little short 26 inch things when its me and daughter in the clam. When I'm alone I purchased this year a 36 inch eagle claw 20 dollar special to try to see if I like the length. Just a bunch of old junk ive had forever.  Any suggestions is very much appreciated.

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2018, 11:50 PM »
https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/809544-frabill-straight-line-quick-tip-combo-ice-fishing-rod-and-reel.html?feedsource=3&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4d_42NzR2AIVC2l-Ch2fIwOHEAQYAiABEgJguPD_BwE ....I believe this is the one I have...they changed the link from my one I have, but I think this is the same. I have a spinning reel on it now. Very good for light biters like perch, walleye, or sometimes trout. Have handled plenty of good size pike on it, as well.

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2018, 06:45 AM »
i see no need for custom ice rods for me.i think if you dont buy the $3.99 special you can get a good rod off the shelf at your local sporting goods store.you just have to select the rod for your needs.
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:10 AM »
I build most of my rods.
There are rod blanks for every need and you can make them as fancy as you want.
My favorite 2 have deer horn handles.
To each his own.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:52 AM »
I think you can still pick up some Derch Assault rods fairly cheap down at the Silos... :tipup:
Dont ask

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:54 AM »
I build most of my rods.
There are rod blanks for every need and you can make them as fancy as you want.
My favorite 2 have deer horn handles.
To each his own.

I was on mudhole.com looking at rod kits. Do kits come with everything needed to tie on the eyes and stuff like that or do you have to buy that stuff too? I think it would be need to build my own rod. Thanks
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:38 AM »
In any area of fishing, you can pay as much or as little as you want for a rod.  You can pick up a rod at Walmart, or you can pick up a bamboo fly rod at Orvis.  See http://www.orvis.com/bamboo-fly-rods . One of the charms of ice fishing is that the gear tends to be real inexpensive.  I'm a cheap bast-rd, and I like that.  I spend a lot of time prowling around the ice fishing section of sporting goods stores looking for what I feel is the perfect rod, and have been able to find low-cost off-the-shelf rods which fit my needs.  It has been my experience that inexpensive ice fishing rods do a satisfactory job of catching fish. 

But do whatever you like.  I you like buying custom blanks and other parts and designing and building your own rods, or you like owning and using upscale custom ice fishing rods, do it.  Do whatever makes you happy.

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:53 AM »
I use Jann's Netcrafters,
they have kits and good prices

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:54 AM »
Ill check them out
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2018, 01:47 PM »
I was on mudhole.com looking at rod kits. Do kits come with everything needed to tie on the eyes and stuff like that or do you have to buy that stuff too? I think it would be need to build my own rod. Thanks

The kits come with blank, handle, and guides at least. You will have to buy thread and epoxy. The mhx blanks are really nice for the money. I have a 36 inch mhx blank in light power and can feel a perch breath on my spoons. If you want to get into rod building getting a quality blank is pretty cheap compared to a 100 dollar custom built rod
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline Lsranger406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2018, 05:14 PM »
I'm sold on custom ice rod I use and sell Big John Big Rod out of Kalispell, he makes heavy to light rods you can contact him on face book Big John Big Rod.
any other ways of getting ahold of him. Not on facebook and never will be.

Offline Hammer1Down

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2018, 05:52 PM »
X2 for the Della Bay rods.  I ordered their laker/pike rod with the reel seat instead of straight cork handle.  It was my first custom ice rod and and extremely impressed.  Very light, yet still has enough backbone to bring in anything swimming under the ice.  The eyes are a spring titanium and won't bend out of shape.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:58 PM »
Custom all the way. I haven’t fished a mass-manufactured rod in 6 years. Never will again. PM me for other recommendations. X2 on Bricker
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Lsranger406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2018, 12:02 AM »
I like the local idea. Where around montana are custom rods made? Other then big johns which were already mentioned.

Offline theron86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2018, 10:02 PM »
X2 on the Derch Assault rods.

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Perch Assualt rods are excellent off the shelf fare. Big Johns are great too.
AS far as to go or not go custom, they it should be looked at is, if, you cant find the rod you want,
THEN go custom. If you're looking for a status symbol, you have too much money  ;D
All my ice rods are bought except for the few I've made out of broken fly and spin rods.
I've built all my flyrods as the ones I really like are over 600 bucks and I cant afford that.
I dont see much advantage into a custom ice rod unless you cant find what you want. The flyrods I've built are not
high dollar blanks, mostly St Croix and a house brand for a supplier, but they re built correctly for the blank, and perform better
than the same blank bought completed. You can buy 3 identicle blanks, and when you sort them out, you will have 3 different rods
when you are finished.
My one complaint with most ice rods, is the EYES ARE TOO SMALL!!!! Especially the light & UL rods
Get bit!

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2018, 01:22 PM »
Another consideration may be the level of care you’re willing to provide for something pricier. If you’re a toss-the-rods-in-a-pickle-bucket guy, you’ll probably want to rethink your storage method or rod choice. Same goes for those prone to laying a rod on the ice while walking over to the refreshment cooler. A fat trout will not care if it’s towing an unattended high dollar custom or an off-the-rack rod down the hole.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.