The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Need some help  (Read 4810 times)

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
Need some help
« on: Dec 19, 2005, 12:59 AM »
It is really tough for me to get ice condition reports on Ft Peck since the marina burned down. I would appreciate anyone that could give me some periodic updates like maybe once a week letting me know how ice conditions are shaping up. Also of interest is just how much snow that area has been getting which might affect a persons ability to get around. Not coming up there until Feb 8th but this information is useful during the planning stages. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

IceTroll
    :callcops:
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Need some help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2005, 06:01 AM »
So far you guys have been a ton of help. Thanks for the constant updates.  :%$#!:
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2005, 08:42 PM »
Icetroll. I live about 75 miles from Peck. I haven't fished it yet this season. So, I have no idea what the conditions are like right now. When I get back to MT and start fishing Peck, I will do my best to keep you posted.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2005, 08:40 AM »
I appreciate your response WyoGator. I am not coming up until February 8th but an occasional update sure would be handy between now and then. Thanks again.

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2005, 09:21 AM »
Icetroll: check out montanaoutdoor.com there was a report there on Peck. as of 12/22  Hell Creek 3 to 10", Devils Creek 6 to 10". You might try calling Marvin Loomis at 406 557-2787. He guides and has rental cabins, might know more. Good luck.

pikestabber

« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2005, 06:56 PM »
just got an email from deb thomas at hell creek marina she said there is 12" at the bay out to peterson point

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2005, 07:00 AM »
Thats the kind of stuff I need. Thanks guys.

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2006, 03:20 PM »
Ice Troll
   According to the Sat. morning radio show In front of the new Hell Creek marina ice was 10 to 12", inside the bay 3", Petersons Point 2". Devils Creek was good fishing for eyes but didn't say how much ice. Road is extremely muddy. It had better get cold soon or all the ice will be gone.  Will try to keep you up to date as long as I can listen to the radio on Sat. AM's.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:22 PM »
Thanks L.D.H., I appreciate any help you can give me.

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2006, 08:16 PM »
Icetroll: Outdoor radio show this AM had 5 to 6" of ice on main lake. Nothing said about any one spot. several eyes caught one at 14lb 7oz. several 40" northerns. Good luck in Feb.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2006, 01:55 AM »
Appreciate the update L.D.H. I was thinking I might have to cancel because of the warm weather but as long as the ice keeps growing, we should be good. Let me know in another week or so.

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2006, 12:18 PM »
Outdoor radio show this am said ice on peck is still good with 5-7" of ice to J Marker. I hope you know what that is. 5" on peck doesn't sound like much to me. Will try to get report next Sat.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2006, 12:32 PM »
Thanks again L.D.H. for the update. "J" marker is west of Hell Creek towards Snow Creek and Devils Creek. All I really know is that its somewhere in between Hell Creek and the U.L. Bend. It would be nice if Montana could get a cold snap between now and Feb 8th to thicken that ice a tad more.

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2006, 02:11 PM »
Not much of a report this AM on the radio. They said ice was still good and fishing spotty. I was out yesterday to a nearby lake, got out ok but getting off had to take a 100 yd detour due to shore line breaking up and a fair amount of water between me and the truck. Might try once more then probably give it up for the year. Good luck and be careful.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2006, 05:59 AM »
Thanks L.D.H.

Offline whitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2006, 01:14 PM »
Go to Hell Creek marina's website. They have a recent report with some good info on the ice conditions.

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2006, 10:04 AM »
icetroll: Radio show said ice is good in bays but poor to none on main lake. Talked to a guide last night said about the same. He helped pull a atv out yesterday. Fishing is fair to poor also.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2006, 02:05 PM »
Thanks whitetail. I know Clint and Deb personally and know about there web site. I was looking for information in areas other than Hell Creek as well. L.D.H. you were a great help to me this year and I appreciate it. We decided on Snow Creek and went on 2-8-06 and stayed till 2-18-06. The ice was okay but I have seen better. The pressure ridges were everywhere. We did really well though especially early before that arctic cold front engulfed the area. If you are interested, here is a short cut to the pictures I posted from our trip. Thanks again L.D.H.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=34685.msg349191#msg349191

Offline whitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2006, 09:38 PM »
IceTRoll, Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. Glad to hear that you had a productive trip. And glad it was a safe trip for you being that it has not been the best winter for ice here in Montana. Hurry back and help us with the fish and coyotes!

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2006, 05:18 AM »
Will do Whitetail.........I been trying to get some of the other IceShanty regulars to join me in Ft. Peck when I do my annual trip (been doing it for 11 years). Maybe at the minimum I can get some of you Montana boys like you and L.D.H. to meet me up there next year. I am also curious where you are located in Montana. With a screen name like Whitetail, you have my interest peaked  ;D. I would love to find a good spot to hunt whitetails in Montana.

Offline whitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2006, 03:25 PM »
IceTRoll, I sent you a private email. Let me know on here if you do not get it. Whitetail

Offline BigSkyIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2006, 05:41 PM »
Thanks whitetail. I know Clint and Deb personally and know about there web site. I was looking for information in areas other than Hell Creek as well. L.D.H. you were a great help to me this year and I appreciate it. We decided on Snow Creek and went on 2-8-06 and stayed till 2-18-06. The ice was okay but I have seen better. The pressure ridges were everywhere. We did really well though especially early before that arctic cold front engulfed the area. If you are interested, here is a short cut to the pictures I posted from our trip. Thanks again L.D.H.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=34685.msg349191#msg349191

IceTroll
I think I speak for everyone who has checked out the pics you posted when i say Holy S**t, you guys slayed em'.  I've been trying to plan a trip with a couple die-hard ice-fishin buddies to go out there.  I would love to sponge up any tips on fishing Fort Peck, the trip is happening for sure after witnessing the fish that come out of there!  Also i was curious if you guys hooked into any Ling?  Didn't see any pics but have heard from others that Fort Peck has some hogs.  Thanks for sharing the pics. 

BigSkyIceMan
Dang Ol' Yip

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2006, 07:01 PM »
We do well like that every year we go BigSkyIceMan. Been fishing Ft. Peck for 11 years and the place spits out some really big fish in the winter. We did catch some Ling although not in numbers. The biggest we caught was 7 or 8 lbs but I have caught them up to 14 lbs. The best place on the lake to catch Ling, especially in late January and February is by far, North Rock Creek in the Big Dry Arm. I love Ling because they are my favorite eating fish but I tend to hunt the Northerns and Walleyes because they are so fun to catch. The best tips I can give you are shuffle your tipups if they are not producing. Use some kind of wire leader and heavy tipup line. I use Cabela's Power Pro 150 lb test because it is the same diameter as my old braided 30 lb test tipup line and wont cut your hands up. For leader, I use 40 lb Malin Boa No-Kink Titanium single strand wire leader and find it to be superior to any wire leader I have ever used, in every way. Try to use tipups that can handle the abuse of big fish. The majority of the time we are not in attendance of our tipups. When a big fish hits and runs like a freight train, your tipups better be strong enough to handle it when the fish hits the end of your line. Last but not least, use big minnows. We use shiners, chubs and suckers and prefer minnows at least 6 inches. Bigger is not bad either. Also, dont be afraid to use dead minnows. The Ling, Lakers and Northerns will take a dead minnow just as quick and maybe quicker than a live one. Also, if you are interested in tagging along with our group next year, get a hold of me in December when we plan our trip and I would be happy to show you the ropes. Also, two people that can also be of great help to you are Clint Thomas at the Hell Creek Marina and Ray Hageman with Bait Boys Bait Shop in Jordan.

Offline BigSkyIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2006, 11:23 AM »
IceTroll,
Thanks for sharing all the great info.  I would absolutely love to see how the operation works, and will definetly get ahold of you for next years trip. Also thanks for the tips if we do get our butts in gear and head out there.  Sounds like its a blast and without a doubt worth making the trip.  I'm in total agreement on the ling, they are hands down the best freshwater fish you can eat, neck n' neck with Walleye.
Thanks again IceTroll,
BigSkyIceMan
Dang Ol' Yip

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.