The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice fishing Holland Lake  (Read 3438 times)

Offline Fightinwildfire

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing Holland Lake
« on: Jan 12, 2014, 09:38 PM »
Has anyone ever Ice fished Holland Lake? (South of Condon.) My fishing partners and I are adventurers and are always wanting to try new lakes that rarely get any pressure. I Don't think the the county road is plowed all of the way to the lake. We do have snowmobile access, so that is not a problem. All that I am really wondering is if it would be worth the hassle. I know it fish's pretty well during the summer. Thanks for taking the time to read.
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
Re: Ice fishing Holland Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2014, 09:50 PM »
I've never ice fished Holland, but I have Lindberg.  Went last year.  Landed a Laker, lost a Laker and caught a few pretty decent perch.

Offline Houdy66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Calm and Fish On!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2014, 09:55 PM »
Back in high school my buddies and I talked to some guys who said you can sight fish perch out of Holland, but we never tried it. Might be worth a shot to see if it's true or not.
To jig or not to jig... That is the question.

Offline Fightinwildfire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2014, 10:00 PM »
I've never ice fished Holland, but I have Lindberg.  Went last year.  Landed a Laker, lost a Laker and caught a few pretty decent perch.

We've talked about possibly trying there too. Thanks Houdy, I'm happy to hear that someone has tried fishing it on hard water.
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2014, 04:32 PM »
I fished Lindbergh this spring and have every intention of going back this winter, if the road is open.  Some nice lakers in there...Holland has quite a bull trout population so PLEASE be careful...that could get expensive if you aren't sure of what you catch...just saying...
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2014, 07:06 PM »
The road to Lindberg is open.  People live on the lake, and it's plowed

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2014, 07:51 PM »
Thanks BigSage...can you get to the campground? I was under the assumption that is the only public access?

If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline Mogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2014, 11:58 AM »
Hoping to get some info on Holland and or Lindbergh? Id like to fish either or both this comming week but have never been and have only just started researching them. Sounds like you can do well on a few diffrent species.  I found a post from a few years ago mentioning how the ice can be sketchy due to the depth of the lakes and the amount of snow they get. Can anyone confirm or deny? Thanks in advance!

Offline pelter4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2014, 12:11 PM »
The biggest problem now would probably be snow. I got over two feet last week and more forecast tomorrow. And I'm within 15 mi of both lakes so I would assume access might be tough.

Offline TreeKiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2014, 05:29 PM »
Out in front of the lodge lots of perch but a lot of dinks. In a little deeper water cigar sized salmon, very light biters. Never caught a bull trout but talked to people who have. Good luck.

Offline TreeKiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2014, 05:35 PM »
Also haven't fished it this year but I'm sure plenty o ice. If you're taking snocats in park at the road junction on the west end before you get to the lake. Should be safe fishing and riding around.

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:21 PM »
Where and how deep for lakers thru the ice on lindberg?  Been thinking about making a trip, a starting point would be nice.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:04 PM »
Its only about 110 at deepest...find the deepest water and search surrounding structure. They are roamers but stay away from the homes...not the type of water they typically like/.

Mike

Offline hi_tail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:39 PM »
Its only about 110 at deepest...find the deepest water and search surrounding structure. They are roamers but stay away from the homes...not the type of water they typically like/.

Mike

Hmmm, this time of year (later ice) I find that the lakers cruise shallower.  I fish lakes that hold lakers extensively and it seems that as the season goes on, the shallower the lakers cruise for food.  I iced many lakers in less than 20' of water this time of year, often around 10' believe it or not.
Early season I find them deep.
Just my 2 cents...

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:44 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  Guess Ill look for rocky structure and start deep and work shallower if not finding fish.  It's always an adventure fishing new water, thats part of the appeal though.  Will post if I go...

Offline fish to live

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Im on the ice right now, or wishing i was
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2014, 10:13 PM »
I would not wast any time their, slow slow slow head to Lindberg more fish, Holland has a great view but horrible fishing
Every one can go fishing, " not every one can catch fish

Offline Mogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2014, 05:52 AM »
Thanks fellas. Leaning towards Lindbergh on wednesday. Vicster when were you planning on going?

Offline fish to live

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Im on the ice right now, or wishing i was
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:34 AM »
Bring a heater, wind is going make it feel like -20 so the weather guessers say
Every one can go fishing, " not every one can catch fish

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2014, 12:39 PM »
Will not be getting out till the weekend.  May head back to Noxon but Lindberg sounds like fun, would love to get into some lakers.  I was trying to look at acess yesterday, not sure about public right of way and boundrys but south of the cabins there are some mid depth flats dropping into the main lake basin.  Thought it looked like a good place to start but not sure if a guy could get in there.  Let me know if you go and how it is, and yeah bring a heater ;)

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2014, 01:58 PM »
Lindberg doesn't have good fishing.  Don't expect to hammer them.  Lakers, Bulls, Cutt's and a few perch are what would most likely catch.  The only place I've ever caught lakers in Lindberg was at the far south end.  You need an Atv or a snowmobile to get there.  It's about 5-6 miles to that end, and I would expect a LOT of snow.  I don't know for sure if you can drive into the main campground on the north end.  That is about the only spot to access it from.  I caught some good keeper perch on the north end last year.  The view is incredible, and you'll have the lake to yourself, especially if you go to the South end.

Offline pelter4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2014, 02:55 PM »
Thanks fellas. Leaning towards Lindbergh on wednesday. Vicster when were you planning on going?

15 below (not counting wind chill) wed and 2-3 ft of snow. Hope your a little better prepared than you were when I saw you on Placid :o

Offline Mogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2014, 04:19 PM »
15 below (not counting wind chill) wed and 2-3 ft of snow. Hope your a little better prepared than you were when I saw you on Placid :o
The problem that day on Placid is that my wife was with me. She would rather have a root canal than be the slightest bit cold.
The forcast does look brutal though. I might postpone until after this cold snap or I might just bundle up and got for it.

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2014, 12:53 PM »
Fished Holland 2 years ago on the ice.  Access wasn't bad at all then, but not sure about now.  Caught perch, a whitefish and some bull trout.  Some bulls were good sized.
  BE THERE!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.