The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Died pike  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Troutkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
Died pike
« on: Dec 29, 2012, 09:58 PM »
Today I was at smith lake for the derby and the guy that won was fishing by me. After he left I went over to his holes to fish and I noticed that he had caught about ten little pike about 8-10" and didn't throw them back he just let them die!!! How do you think u catch the big one, oh I know the little one grew up. That crap makes me mad  :'( :'( :'(

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Died pike
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:02 PM »
well trout killer there is a known fact that the pike in smith lake are overunning it did you not catch like 1000 today i caught 29. thats a ridiculous amount if it is all little pike in there they will be stunted the fact that the perch are on the rebound in that lake is a miracle a few years ago they had the tourney and barely any perch were caught at all in order for the pike to get big they need to be managed as well as the perch do but yes i mean he could have taken them home but i guess people will be people. The teeny pike are super hard to clean and they need to be managed somehow you know?

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:06 PM »
i did not mean that to be rude at all it bugs me to moreover of the fact that it is an eyesore though! there was a pile by me of at least two hundred. what did the guy fishing by you win? i lost 3rd biggest perch by .001 gram mine was 254 and someone turned in a 255 to bad they did not squeeze it a little to hard :)

Offline Troutkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:11 PM »
He won 100 bucks at sportsman

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:18 PM »
oh was he the one with the biggest pike?

Offline Troutkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:19 PM »
Yup

Online Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:47 PM »
Not really trying to be too critical of the practices you guys are discussing because I agree with your take on existing overpopulations, but I don't know how else to say this; leaving game fish on the ice is illegal. Guess I'm surprised there wasn't a warden on the ice checking things out. A few of them might look the other way, understanding the biology of the lake, but another warden would just start writing citations. Be carefull and consider the potential results.

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2012, 11:31 PM »
yes i know i agree and yet it is so confusing ha because i mean there was a game warden there today and there is a pile of pike by where i was fishing that was 200 fish strong. the population is out of control and im sure this barely dented it. my friend and i threw a pike back and one guy said what are you doing dont throw those back we will take responsibility for it if we get caught and thats where the pile started. It is very controversial and yet i agree with one and the other and dissagree with both if this makes sense.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2012, 12:52 AM »
i was really surprised by how many fish were lying on the ice when i fished there a couple weeks ago. Where i was somebody had left a pile that had at least 6 fish in the 3-4lb range, i can sorta understand pitching the dinks, after catching about 50 or so 12inchers, but definitely didn't understand why waste these ones, they were perfect eater sized fish i thought.

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2012, 12:53 AM »
yea that one makes no sense to me either

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2012, 01:16 AM »
Dead pike?   Died pike makes no sense.

Offline Ice Junkie_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2012, 08:16 AM »
 ;D
Worst day of fishin I ever had was still damn good!

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2012, 11:43 AM »

DYED Pike

Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Waksupi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2012, 01:45 PM »
You can scale those small ones, and pickle them.

Why is it that people trash out Smith Lake so bad? After the tournament there is trash all over, including the fish left on the ice. I don't like fishing after inconsiderate slobs have left their mess. Since the Lions Club was running this, they should be charged, fined, and made to clean it all up.   
Ric Carter
Somers, Mt.

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2012, 01:56 PM »
It's not just one particular lake.  I've fished many states, and almost without fail, if a lake has northern, I'll run into at least one other fisherman who:
a)  "Feeds 'em to the cat"
b)  Calls 'em slimers and wishes there were none in "his" lake
c)  Sez "they got all them Y-bones"
d)  Keeps the large one to show to his buddies, then puts it in the freezer for several years, then throws it out
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2012, 02:42 PM »
It's not just one particular lake.  I've fished many states, and almost without fail, if a lake has northern, I'll run into at least one other fisherman who:
d)  Keeps the large one to show to his buddies, then puts it in the freezer for several years, then throws it out

Yep, exactly. The sad thing is that people keep tons of those tiny kokanee salmon to smoke but a pike of the same size as those kokanee has more meat on it and tastes amazing when smoked. I don't care for pickled fish much myself, my parents love it but I'm not a big fan, but I will eat smoked fish all day long, but if you pickle those little ones the bones dissolve and you don't have to worry about picking out the bones. Removing bones after they are smoked it super easy my kids do it all the time for lunches and snacks.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2012, 10:10 AM »

I wish there was a smiley face of him beating his head against the wall. ;D
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Mogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2012, 10:39 AM »
Yep, exactly. The sad thing is that people keep tons of those tiny kokanee salmon to smoke but a pike of the same size as those kokanee has more meat on it and tastes amazing when smoked. I don't care for pickled fish much myself, my parents love it but I'm not a big fan, but I will eat smoked fish all day long, but if you pickle those little ones the bones dissolve and you don't have to worry about picking out the bones. Removing bones after they are smoked it super easy my kids do it all the time for lunches and snacks.
So how big or small is a good size for the smoker? When you say "tiny" are we talking like 12" or smaller yet? Ive been wanting to try smoked pike

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2012, 11:13 AM »
Most are right around 12", smallest one we caught was about 8", they all smoke well though. ;D

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2012, 11:46 AM »
On another note, smokin' is easy on the little ones, you just have to whack the sides off, don't even worry about the skin, peels off easy after cooking.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:04 PM »
On another note, smokin' is easy on the little ones, you just have to whack the sides off, don't even worry about the skin, peels off easy after cooking.

This exactly. The only thing to watch out for is don't brine the little ones overnight, it ends up being too long for my brine and you end up with salt fish. Any pike 2lbs or under only gets brined for a max of about four hours for me. The wee ones like that be sure to leave skin on like MatCat said or they dry out to fast in the smoker and or fall through my grates.

Offline Mogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 31, 2012, 06:50 PM »
Thanks fellas! Now I just need  to get my butt on the ice!

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 31, 2012, 09:30 PM »

I didn't know this. This would be a good thing to put on the registration forms for these tournaments. I'm sure a lot of people would keep them if they knew how to fix them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.