Author Topic: Crabs...?  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Badgermilk27

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
Crabs...?
« on: Jan 24, 2007, 07:37 PM »
You guys ever ice fish for crabs...?  Besides the STD that is...
LURE (n): expensive metal or plastic device used to locate rocks and trees on lake and river bottoms.  (also see: disposable)

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
Re: Crabs...?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2007, 08:21 PM »
That's about 4 1/2 hours east of here in the Chesapeake Bay. We are in the mountains with an awesome coldwater lake that's 70 feet deep and full of Jumbo Perch. I've never heard it referred to as "fishing for crabs". We call it crabbing. And yes, it's loads of fun.
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.  ~Koos Brandt

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
Re: Crabs...?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2007, 02:24 PM »
 ;D Now that's funny.  In PA some folks refer to crayfish/crawdads as crabs!  Never caught one through the ice.  I guess it's possible!   ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, the salt water areas around here usually don't freeze thick enough to ice fish on.  The Chesapeake Bay will freeze during the coldest winters, but I wouldn't trust going on it with the strong tidal changes and currents that occur, it's just not safe, ever.  That said, even if you could get on you are unlikely to find many crabs hanging out.  They usually move off into deeper water during the winter for the most part, and areas like that just don't freeze.  So, we do fish for them but don't catch them through the ice.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.