Author Topic: ice on deep creek  (Read 5760 times)

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
ice on deep creek
« on: Jan 15, 2009, 05:52 PM »
went to deep creek yesterday ,there's ice on the whole lake, nobody was on the ice, I walked on the ice but didn't go far. I should have taken my auger. since no one was on the lake i'm betting it's not very thick, maybe after this weekend. I'll keep you posted. :tipup: :tipup:
Ice fishing is no catch and release sport.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ice on deep creek
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2009, 06:32 PM »
went to deep creek yesterday ,there's ice on the whole lake, nobody was on the ice, I walked on the ice but didn't go far. I should have taken my auger. since no one was on the lake i'm betting it's not very thick, maybe after this weekend. I'll keep you posted. :tipup: :tipup:

I can guarantee there were people on the ice.  You just were not looking in the right spot.  ;D
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline icerookie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2009, 07:09 AM »
It was -16 last night.  I am sure there is lots of Ice.  I can't get there before Feb.  Real shame!  Hope it holds.

Offline grizzly's grillin'

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Iditarod Dog Handler
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2009, 09:48 AM »
Yes, we have ice. Just came across Glendale Bridge at around 10:15 a.m. Saw about 20 sets of snowmobile tracks going under the bridge from last night. Saw one ice fisherman from my front porch over on Harvey inlet.
Ice is here and looks like for  10 days not going anywhere. (Cold Weather)
You can give out but, never give up!!

Offline Rockfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2009, 04:58 PM »
Definately good ice.  was so cold Sat I didn't realize it but managed to get my toes frostbitten.  3 days ago and they still feel like pins and needles but at least they aren't black so I guess they won't fall off.  Time to get new boots.

The fishing was a little spotty with a few small walleyes and 7 nice perch (over 3 days which isn't hot in my book).

Offline Fergie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2009, 06:22 AM »
Definately good ice.  was so cold Sat I didn't realize it but managed to get my toes frostbitten.  3 days ago and they still feel like pins and needles but at least they aren't black so I guess they won't fall off.  Time to get new boots.

The fishing was a little spotty with a few small walleyes and 7 nice perch (over 3 days which isn't hot in my book).
Just got me a new pair of Danner Kerstel's 1000 gram thinsulate/goretex. Can't beat Danner for comfort. Plan to hit North Glade Cove this weekend...

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:10 PM »

Good luck with the toes. I was fishin last weekend and the whole side of my boot tore open. I didn't want to miss any fishing, so I just stuffed a glove in the hole and wraped a bungy around it. My foot stayed warm and I fished the rest of the day.

Offline jbscrazies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2009, 03:03 PM »
How's the ice holding up?  Going to be there the next 2 weekends.  Hope to be able to fish or it's going to be a huge letdown.  Been looking forward to this trip all fall and winter.

Offline iceman4667

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2009, 06:43 PM »
Fished it Sunday, some places 9 inchs and some 7 inchs thick and a lot of water on top

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:52 PM »
I fished North Glade on Sunday. The ice was between 12" and 14",BUT!!, the existing holes were really opening up. Some of the holes were probably 20" across. They were also being under cut by inflowing water. The cracks were also opening up, they to were being under cut. I actually fished through the cracks in several places. There's warm weather in the forecast with warm nights. Unless the forecast is wrong and it drops into the 20's, I probably won't be back on the ice this season. I've walked onto the ice on boards in the past, only to see it floating in the water at the end of the day. I just walked toward the bank until I went through and hoped it wouldn't be too deep. I got lucky. I'm not planning on doing this anymore. :(

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:55 PM »
How's the ice holding up?  Going to be there the next 2 weekends.  Hope to be able to fish or it's going to be a huge letdown.  Been looking forward to this trip all fall and winter.
  Unless the temps drop I'd stay home or keep going north, but it's warm up there to. Good luck!

Offline iceman4667

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:11 PM »
One more thing, i was very happy to get off the ice Sunday,i am like john i think i will be at home this weekend

Offline icematt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2009, 06:38 AM »
The weather is forcing us to stay home for V-tine day. The ice will be back for next weekend. Put your time in this weekend.

Offline jbscrazies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2009, 10:26 AM »
Too late for that.  We're committed to the house so I guess will see what happens.  Thanks for the promising news. ???

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2009, 09:10 PM »
I hear ya. My old lady (12 years my junior) was wanting me to spend valentines day with her. I told her she better be going ice fishing. Needless to say she is happy with the current temps. So I'm taking her to Cabela's on Saturday. I guess she'll get her wish. I'm hoping they will have ice fishing gear on sale. Maybe I'll get her some new jigs. ;D

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2009, 06:53 PM »
Has anyone been out? I really have the fever, but scared, cautious what ever you want to call it. Tryin to get one of my buds to go, but no luck. I'd feel better if I had someone to throw me a rope. I'm concerned about finding thin ice. Two weeks ago the holes were getting BIG! And we had alot of warm weather with rain. There was some talk about some large holes in the ice and getting iced over. I just don't know if it's really worth it.

Offline BoydChurch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Deep Creek Ice 12/27/2008
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2009, 07:49 PM »
Has anyone been out? I really have the fever, but scared, cautious what ever you want to call it. Tryin to get one of my buds to go, but no luck. I'd feel better if I had someone to throw me a rope. I'm concerned about finding thin ice. Two weeks ago the holes were getting BIG! And we had alot of warm weather with rain. There was some talk about some large holes in the ice and getting iced over. I just don't know if it's really worth it.

John,
Temps have been favorable today. Went out today at SkyValley Cove and ice is 10-11". Lots of huts on the lake today. Coves are better than main lake but I've seen some folks around the 219 bridge ??? and Glendale bridge. So, I think you should be able to find safe ice. The shoeline is tight. But this time of year one never knows. Check FishDeepCreek.com for real time info. Good luck. Stay safe.
Cheers,
Boyd
It's all a part o' fishin', son

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2009, 09:02 PM »
Me and one of my buds are going to 1000 acres tomorrow. His luck has been so bad this year he's about ready to give up ice fishin all together. He's been fishin the same area all season. I like to jump around myself. I hope the fishin is better tomorrow. The barometer is falling right now. I hope It's rising tomorrow.

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2009, 09:40 PM »
Well we fished 1000 acres today, my buddy said it was Polish Run. Beats me, it was Deep Creek as far as I'm concerned. The ice was 4 to 5 inches. We fished between 7' and 12'. Fished from 8am to 6:30pm. Between the two of us we caught 3 perch, 3 pike, 3 walleye, and 1 pikerel. The only keepers were the perch and pikerel. Not a very good day,but still enjoyable. The shore line was tight. There was open water at the 219 bridge and Glendale bridge. If some was fishin the bridges,I hope they weren't very close. The ice cracked under our feet a few times while walking, I wonder if that was where some open holes were?

Offline Rockfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2009, 06:25 PM »
I fished near the 219 bridge but not that near 800 yrds or so and had good 5 in ice but that creaking and groaning was a bit alarming.  There was a group I'm guessing that was staying in a cottage about halfway to the bridge that had tipups going and were playing bocce on the ice to while away the time.  Never seen that before.

Took a keeper walleye and 3 throwbacks, a 15 in smallie (released) and 3 jumbo perch.  The perch seemed real skittish.  I also tend to fish deep at least 30 usually over 40 and usually see decent numbers of fish on my aquavu

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2009, 08:23 PM »
I have been at Deep Creek every day this week. Unfortunately I was working. I watched the open water at the bridges close some every day, until today (Thursday). Boy did they open up last night and today. :'( It looks like another warm night and warmer with rain tomorrow. Not looking good for the weekend. There was alot of people on the ice today, I wish I was one of them. If any of them were you, let us know what kind of shape the ice was in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.