Author Topic: Home made sleds  (Read 970 times)

Offline flyhaven

• Team IceShanty Regular
Home made sleds
« on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:20 AM »
Has anyone ever seen or made one you push like in a wheelbarrow style.?I made a deer hauling cart out of a aluminum hitch hauler with a bike tire and old wheelbarrow handles and it works well.I was thinking something like this may be used if a ski was mounted in place on front and somehow try and level the platform out so as not on such a steep angle..Dragging just seems tougher in snow for sure.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Home made sleds
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:45 AM »
I was out in some deep snow and slush this weekend. My smitty sled made a huge difference but I was also thinking about pushing it and how that might work. I will continue brainstorming this myself and post any ideas/designs I come up with. Definitely would love to hear any ideas or see designs others have.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline flyhaven

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:39 AM »
The one issue I was trying to overcome was a minnow bucket which of course needs to be pretty level.I thought of finding a snow board or ski and fribricating a bracket so my tire rests on the ski so I can leave it on..or maybe even a snow mobile ski and fribricating a whole sled.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:58 AM »
The one issue I was trying to overcome was a minnow bucket which of course needs to be pretty level.

If you get a bar or hook or something to hang the bucket from, gravity will do all the work to keep it level.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline Ridgeratt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2019, 12:00 PM »
I have a folding golf bag cart that has a bucket bolted on to the foot. I can stack another bucket or two inside and keep my tackle in them. The Lowrance fit's in it. A hole drilled in the bottom for drain if stuff needs to stay dry in the next bucket up. When I get to the prime spot it folds and makes a chair to sit on flip a bucket over and a stand for the Lowrance.

I am the son of the "Enemy of Good"  ::) ::)    My father back before the invention of all the ice shanty's took flexible flyer kids sleds and gutted the skins off 30 gallon water tanks and chopped up lawn chairs for the tops and built ours. The adage was if something is working good someone will try to make it better. I am proud to say I carry on that thought.

Offline sincere103

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:26 PM »
I made mine out of old skis & some 2x12.  pretty much a smitty sled which I attach my shelter/sled/gear to.  Makes pulling everything on the ice much easier when there's snow accumulations or slush. Hope this helps

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:39 PM »
made mine for pulling but would be easy to put a pushbar on it
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=114226.0

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:28 PM »

Could make mine into a pusher.

Offline Bearbottom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:58 PM »
Dunhams puts their Jetsleds on sale this time of year - solid and easy to customize

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.