Author Topic: cushions for benches in permy  (Read 3091 times)

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
cushions for benches in permy
« on: Oct 14, 2019, 11:52 AM »
morning gents,  so this summer i was hoping to score some cushions out of an old camper trailer 20"x60" or so for the permy but didn't have any luck.  i bought a new matress and now have an old memory foam topper i'm thinking i'll cut to size, double up, cover with fabric and staple to a piece of plywood. 

anyone out there come up with anything similar or better? 

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: cushions for benches in permy
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2019, 11:56 AM »
That is exactly what I plan to do for mine actually. I have a queen memory foam topper that I was going to cut to size and then cover.

They sell them all over for RV’s. One that I like is the teddy bear mattress cover made by Lippert. Only issue is I am worried if water/fish gets on it that it’ll soak through/stain

I believe 28” is the smallest I’ve seen for these covers.

Is there any good water proof covers?

Mizayikaa

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2019, 06:09 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DAOSLVM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use these as a floor in my pop up. Might work ok for your needs also.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2019, 06:51 PM »
 thanks miz, that's what is on my benches in the shack right now.  i plan to spend quite a few nights in the shack this winter so my idea is to build these cushions to sit on length wise while fishing during the day and then flip them width wise across the shack as a platform for sleeping on (shack is plywood truck box camper style).  i think my original plan should work ...hopefully!

still open to any ideas as to what material to use to cover the memory foam.  something somewhat water/slime/whiskey-proof.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2019, 08:37 PM »
  still open to any ideas as to what material to use to cover the memory foam.  something somewhat water/slime/whiskey-proof.

How about slicing up a good ATV cover and making covers.  Or maybe an old boat cover.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2019, 08:55 PM »
Babby crib mattress?

Mizayikaa

« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2019, 10:19 PM »
thanks miz, that's what is on my benches in the shack right now.  i plan to spend quite a few nights in the shack this winter so my idea is to build these cushions to sit on length wise while fishing during the day and then flip them width wise across the shack as a platform for sleeping on (shack is plywood truck box camper style).  i think my original plan should work ...hopefully!

Ha. If you drank that whiskey instead of spilling it you would have no issues with comfort. Just kidding around. Let me know if you get it figured out. I am in the process of figuring out basic comforts in my new hard shack as well. Good luck to you.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2019, 12:17 PM »
morning gents,  so this summer i was hoping to score some cushions out of an old camper trailer 20"x60" or so for the permy but didn't have any luck.  i bought a new matress and now have an old memory foam topper i'm thinking i'll cut to size, double up, cover with fabric and staple to a piece of plywood. 

anyone out there come up with anything similar or better?

I did that with a XT 650 bench seat it worked well.     I did see some cooler seats that looked nice might be worth looking into

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2019, 07:53 PM »
I bought a basic 3" foam pad about 30" wide by 6'...about $22.   I doubled mine and had covers made to fit with zippers so I can remove and wash them. 
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2019, 03:23 PM »
Maybe a little more expensive, but ready to go right out of the store, and a pocket for a seat warmer to be inserted.

https://www.mrheater.com/seat-cushion.html

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2019, 09:44 PM »
  got some black gray white camo burlap to match the barnboard siding and covered up two cushions on half inch plywood.  one was 2" white rigid insulation with 2" memory foam and the other was just 6" memory foam.  i like the ridid insulation/foam combo a bit more and think i'll split the difference with 2" rigid and 4" memory foam on both.  extremely comfy.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2019, 11:42 PM »
Good job Ranger

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2019, 05:32 AM »
In my old permy. I used two layers of scrap carpet pad and then scrap carpet. Worked good for years.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2019, 05:41 AM »
If I had a Permy I would use the seat part of an old office chair.
I have assembled several for work and some of them are super lightweight.
In my portable I have some nice 2 inch foam blocks. A little more hardness than the pillowtop stuff.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.