Author Topic: A couple of things on Ice safety.  (Read 4112 times)

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
A couple of things on Ice safety.
« on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:28 AM »
The first is an article in our local paper. Just to show that even with safe ice all around the area, which people have been fishing for a few weeks. There are always spots or places the ice is not safe. Mind you this pond is not very large, and the boy is 8 years old. Far from being as heavy as a adult man. Also brings to mind how important it is to keep track of where the kids are or are heading.
http://poststar.com/news/local/article_5154a36a-1933-11e0-80cf-001cc4c03286.html

Second is what the Assistant Chief had with him. A throw bag. The group I fish with always has one. They are not that expensive, or difficult to set up. Some of the ideas I've read here though good in theory, are not conducive to an easy ice rescue. The victim has to be able to wrap the rope around them and hook it back to itself easily. We use large Carabeners, attached to the throw bag. Plus most buy a package of nylon rope at the hardware. Though good, probably not high enough in strength to pull an average weight man, soaked with heavy clothes on up over the edge of ice. Most packaged rope is rated for 60-240lbs.
You really need something rated for 500-1000lbs. Also the rope should have a woven cover on it. They are smoother and resist tangling on themselves like a braided nylon will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zJOL40GOtc&feature=related

Here is a good demonstration of throw bag usage. The type of rope allows for easier loading of the bag and doesn't allow the rope to tangle on itself. The bag of rope is heavy enough to go a good distance and won't hurt the victim should you hit them in the head with your throw. ;D
Also would like to add, a lot of fire departments do ice rescue training. If you would like to sit in and observe most will welcome you to. Learning is the best defense to avoid panic.

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: A couple of things on Ice safety.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2011, 11:08 AM »
I should have put this in the general topic and let them move it.
Not a lot of people go to the safety section... ???

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2011, 05:34 PM »
10-4... I agree oletimer
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:33 PM »
Boy with all the happening every year and the amount of posts per minute on this site this is discouraging to only have one post in response.  ??? :o

Offline MJS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2011, 08:47 AM »
 I agree this should be a sticky in EVERY sub forum.
I have been looking at throw bags there are a lot out there I just need to pull the trigger.
Great You Tube video. Thanks for posting.

Matt

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2011, 12:54 PM »
Good Idea MJS. Will send a note regarding that.
We tend to take so many things for granted on the ice. Why we lose some good people every year.

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2011, 01:11 PM »
Simple thing's like this are great info for the folk's that may be in a Lifesaving situation. The key is to know the water and Ice where you are TODAY. Check it often, And most importantly don't take unnecessary chances.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2011, 10:40 PM »
That throw bag is a really nice set up.......wished I had one.  I just carry a plain ole floating boat line with a carabiner

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:28 AM »
They can be affordable. Plus if you normally fish with a group, split the cost. I found several in the 15-50 dollar range. We have two in the group I fish with. Several of us are vol. firefighters, that train in ice rescue. Most range in price from 15-60 dollars. You can do a search for throw bags, a lot of sites come up.
Also may be able to obtain one from your local fire department if they are updating gear. It may be out dated by their safety standards but still have years of usability for an outdoors sportsperson.

Offline MJS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2011, 10:26 AM »
 I ordered one it's the Salamander Pop Top Throw bag with 70' of 5/16 diameter  kernmantle 1000-pound MFP polypropylene core rope
 and the reason I did is they are designed to let the rope out untangled ( providing that you repack it properly) so it will reach the intended victim. The home made ones are good don't get me wrong but I would hope that when thrown they do not end up being a tangled mess. Another thing I was thinking is you should at least try it or practice with it so if and when ( God forbid you do ) have to use it you know what to do. Seconds count when someone is in the cold water.

Stay safe everone.  Matt

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2011, 02:42 PM »
You are correct Matt, something is better than nothing. As long as it doesn't endanger more lives trying to utilise it. That sounds like a good bag. If budget concerns are the issue, you can make a functioning one with a small backpack. The most important part is the rope. A good place to look is places that have boat rescue items. I've even seen a good floating safety rope at the local Wally world.
Hope you never have to use it Matt, but please do try it and work with it a few times at least to know you can throw it and how far and that you can get it to your target. Good job!!

Offline Richhays1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2011, 12:32 PM »
They also make a frisbee to throw. We have some at the fire department. Biggest complaint i have is if you "miss" one the 1st throw they are hard to re-wrap and re-throw quickly.

Link: http://www.resqdisc.com/

I'd rather have the throw bag with a slightly weighted ball at the end. If you miss it can be pulled back and re-thrown again quickly.

One other tip I learned in ice rescue class. If your in the ice and are unable to get out. You've fought like hell and you know you "aren't gonna make it". Hold your arms to the ice, this allows your jacket to freeze to the surface. Now this does nothing to get you out of the ice. BUT if you do unconscious this will give you a chance of keeping your head out of the water. If I go out on the ice to get you, trust me, I can get your jacket off. It'll be in pieces, but I'd rather buy you a new jacket than to tell your family you went sub-surface and have passed away.

Rich
Ice Rescue Technician
Cedar Springs Mi
Why can't I catch the fish my fish finder sees?

Offline cdclark0130

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:35 PM »
bump

just started on these forums.
i will definitely be purchasing a bag this season, and i have spent the first three hours
reading just the safety threads.
please keep writing them i will keep reading them!

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:05 AM »
Bought a throw bag this year after following this thread last year.  In addition to buying a set of Artic Armour Bibs and Jacket.  The Idea of folding your arms and laying on the Ice has saved at least one guys life I have met and fished with he fell through and was there an hour like that before he was found.

Offline Loggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:57 AM »
Thanks for sharing this valuable safety info oletimer!!  :tipup:

Offline Richhays1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:17 PM »
Sorry to preach again.

have a plan, and stick to it. If you have to change let the "safe person" know.

Sunday my brother in law and i hit the lake in the boat. Started off smooth and a nice day (not counting rain). We were not on what I'd call a big lake. It was "just" Hardy Dam pond. We fished for a while and noticed the wind picked up. Chose to ignore it, it wasn't really all that bad. But a half hour later we pulled out into the lake and knew we stayed to long.

I got my phone, and under my rain jacket I text my brother (my wife would have freak out). I text him where we were, where we were headed. How many people on board and the details. Then I put on the life jacket. Mite have even said a quick prayer.

It was a not-so-fun return to the dock in four foot breakers. It didn't take as long as i thought. But i called my brother as soon as we were safe.

Perhaps we weren't really in danger. But we headed into the rough stuff knowing we had done what I call "activate the emergency plan". I knew if the boat went over the phones were junk. I set it up while we were safe.

Why can't I catch the fish my fish finder sees?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.