Author Topic: First ever MA walleye  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
First ever MA walleye
« on: Mar 24, 2005, 08:41 PM »
Just returned a couple of hours ago from 6 days visiting family in The Pas, where I managed to get out fishing for walleye 3 times.  The last time - yesterday afternoon about 3:00 I hit it lucky, and pulled up a 29 1/2" walleye from the Saskatchewan River, about 10 miles east of The Pas.  I figured at first I had a big burbot, because the only walleye we were catching were around 14-16", but when her big head came up through the hole, Wow!  What a thrill.  My brother's neighbor had a disposable camera and snapped a shot of me holding the fish, and when he develops the film.......(probably June)..... I'll scan it and post the picture of that beautiful fish.  Of course, it was released to spawn again.

First day out (last Saturday) my brother and I limited out in 90 mins, and had a feast that evening.  That day there were 10 other adults on the ice, with a group of 4H kids who had never been ice fishing before.  That group had a total of 48 fish.  On Sunday I was the only lucky one, catching 1 little one, and everyone except for one of the wives was skunked.  Yesterday my brother and I caught only 3 eaters, and the other 6 guys were skunked.  We never could figure out when the bite was on, it was so variable from day to day.

The ice is about 3 feet thick, but releases from dams in Saskatchewan have been raising the water level over the last 2 days, and overflow is causing slush to form on the river's edges.

There is a herd of deer (about 30) in the neighbor's backyard, just over from my brother's farm that has been sheltering in the bush for the last month, but is slowly being whittled down by a couple of big wolves.  Last Monday Ken and I saw 2 of the wolves standing by the round bales about 300 m from his yard. Man, are they HUGE!  We thought they were deer to begin with, but saw them move slowly off, and then could tell what they were.  The next morning about 8:00 we watched one as it lay on top of a big bale, and just scanned the area, probably looking for breakfast.  So far the wolves have taken at least 6 of the deer over the last month, the latest this morning, a young, one year old that was reduced to backbone and lower legs. We spotted the kill by the flock of ravens present.  Well, like Curly (who owns the farm the deer are on) says, the deer are put there to feed the wolves, they don't belong to us, and we shouldn't be upset if the wolves are only doing what is totally natural and necessary.

So my annual Spring trip to The Pas this year was not only successful, but interesting as well.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
Re: First ever MA walleye
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2005, 08:50 PM »
Congrats on the MA  :clap:
That was an interesting road trip  ;D

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2005, 09:01 PM »
WTG. Mono....it pays to put in the sleepless nights on the hardwater...... ;D ;D ;D...so proud of your catch and release...again....awe some...Grump

Duramax

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2005, 09:33 PM »
Congrats on the MA Monophil :clap:...Excellent story, really enjoyed the wolf part. I know what you mean about the size of those beasts, one stared us down on Green Lake this winter. I think he was eyeing up the dogs with us.

Hopefully the ice holds out on the river as we are hoping to spend a day walleye fishing during our Clearwater trip in mid April.

Once again thx for the report and congrats on the BIG GREEN!!!

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2005, 09:36 PM »
Awesome bud!!! I can't wait to see the pic.You deserved that beauty Mono WTG :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2005, 10:09 PM »
Right on Mono. Congrats buddy. Man I would of loved to see your expression when that beauty walleye came up. Hey I bet those wolves sent a shiver down your spine eh. I have only seen one wolf in my life and man was it huge.  Sure makes the coyotes look like wimps.  ;D ;D
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline tk10fire

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm baaaack let the fishing begin
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2005, 12:00 AM »
Great story Mono and congrats to on the MA walleye. :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Tim

Offline Jiffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2005, 07:20 AM »
I'm with TK way to go on that walleye and nice story.GOT TO GO MY TIP UP IS UP. ;) ;)
Jaymes Hiebert

Humminbird - Jiffy - Clam Corp - Mr. Heater - Berkely

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2005, 03:35 PM »
Congrats Monophil...I know the feeling of catching the first one not all that long ago.  Great story too...good to get an account of the time.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.