Author Topic: --- SLED MODS ---  (Read 344621 times)

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
Re: --- SLED MODS ---
« Reply #240 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:41 AM »
Those look like awfully big cup holders!

They are big enough to hold a cooler cup/koozie if need be.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline therealgrantb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #241 on: Dec 09, 2013, 03:27 PM »
Here's some mods I made to my sled. Heavy as heck but it'll finally keep things from bouncing around. I cut an extra door in the lid so I can have easy access to frequently used stuff.

How do I post pics?

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #242 on: Dec 09, 2013, 04:34 PM »
Here's some mods I made to my sled. Heavy as heck but it'll finally keep things from bouncing around. I cut an extra door in the lid so I can have easy access to frequently used stuff.

How do I post pics?
you can download to photobucket then transfer then here.

Offline ADKLakerTaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #243 on: Dec 20, 2013, 09:00 AM »
hey guys, so many great mods! i need to build a sled that fits just right in the back of my jeep! these are some helpful ideas. will be constructing a custom Cadillac sled this weekend. Pics to follow! 

Hard tell'n, not know'n

Offline bmxrider11976

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #244 on: Dec 20, 2013, 11:38 AM »
The old lady got me a Jet Sled for Christmas....mods are coming soon!
USE A BOBBER!

Offline skillzman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #245 on: Dec 27, 2013, 07:00 PM »
I need to re-do my sled after looking at all the good ideas on this thread!

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #246 on: Dec 30, 2013, 08:10 PM »
i liked the fold out rod holders on the new clam flip overs so i was at fleet farm and i found some 90 deg flat stock and a ring, going to weld them up this weekend and ill post some pics for you guys, i think they were 79 cents each or less. i am making one for each side and two for the middle, so each fisherman can have two.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #247 on: Jan 03, 2014, 12:00 PM »
I'm curious as to how guys are attaching their sleds to the ski rigs I see here.  I have a medium Otter sport sled and am looking to do the same thing but I want to avoid drilling any holes into the thing where the skis can't be removed rather quickly.  The sled gets used extensively in the spring hauling around maple sap and in years when there isn't snow at that time having the flat bottom is going to work out better than getting skis tangled in brush.  Sometimes we have to go through some wet areas and the thought of having a sled take on water with a couple of milk cans filled with sap is not my idea of fun.  I've seen contraptions guys have made where their sled is basically cradled which is the direction I am heading but I have questions about how it is clamped together so the sled doesn't go sliding off.  Actually...I have a concept in mind that should do the trick but still want to see the handiwork of stuff that has already been done. 

I'm in the process of building what I call an "electronics station" for my ice fishing repertoire.  I run my electronics (older Aqua-Vu, FL8) off of one of those jump starter battery packs.  The reason for doing so is that I wired them up with 12v plugs so that I can simply plug into the outlets I have on my boat.  It also serves as a phone charger/fan power source/light power source etc. so that I can eliminate having to charge 9 different things all at once when I'm back on land.  Charge one thing up and you're done.  Anyway.... 

The idea with this set up is to build a "platform" that sits crossways on the sled.  The Aqua-Vu and flasher (upgrading to an LX7 at the end of this year) will sit on each end with a storage area in the center.  From there I can lift that right out of the sled and put it into my portable which is a pop-up.  This will basically give me a "dashboard" of sorts that sits a little bit off of the ice and is more stable than resting these units on buckets.  The height of the platform will be the same as the height of the decks in my boat and the length will be such that it will fit snugly so that everything is level.  I might put the LX7 on the bow...not sure yet.  Have to figure out what type of interference issues I'll have with the units I have on the boat already.  Two sonar/GPS combo units, a stand alone GPS unit, and an LX7.  Overkill?  Probably but electronic toys are neat. 

Sorry for the long winded question/post but I wanted to give a bit of background of what other stuff I'm working around.  I typically only use a hand auger, carry 4-5 jig poles, and about 15-20 tip-ups.  Gotta have back-ups.   

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #248 on: Jan 03, 2014, 12:10 PM »
I used large eye bolts and 1" wide Bungee straps.
<===Lefty===

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #249 on: Jan 04, 2014, 06:45 AM »
I used large eye bolts and 1" wide Bungee straps.

[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Joe Wayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #250 on: Jan 05, 2014, 08:05 PM »
@ 32footsteps
I use the Otter Sport medium as well, and like you, I didn't want holes drilled in it either.
I built a frame out of PVC that the tub sits in and the loaded weight locks it in place.

Here is my drawing plan, you might double check my measurements before cutting.
Also is the picture of the finished product.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Joe Wayne | Ankeny, IA

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #251 on: Jan 06, 2014, 11:34 AM »
Joe Wayne,

Thanks...that's what I was looking for.  I might make it out of wood instead of PVC using that same basic concept.  I'd like to mount some LED's or a RAM mount on the frame for those times when I'm walking on or off in the dark.  I took a pair of those small halogen auto lights you can get at Wal-Mart and mounted them onto a RAM plate so I can simply clamp them onto a ball that is mounted on my boat.  It's wired up to a 12v plug and works wonders muskie fishing at night having that shining down into the net when unhooking a fish.  Having the entire net lit up has saved a few hooked fingers.  Could use the same idea on the ice....clamp it on the sled frame, plug it into a battery pack, and you'll have good light for setting up/taking down a portable and as "headlights" on the sled when you walk on or off. 

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #252 on: Jan 14, 2014, 09:44 PM »
Holy sketch up thats a nice layout Joe! 

Great!

Offline Joe Wayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #253 on: Jan 15, 2014, 07:12 AM »
Thanks, did it in Illustrator. Beats sitting down with a pencil and ruler any day.
Joe Wayne | Ankeny, IA

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #254 on: Jan 15, 2014, 11:16 AM »
You got made skills Joe.

I struggle with that AI  It's on my bucket list to get my head around it someday. 

Sorry to get a bit off topic.  Again, very nice.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #255 on: Jan 23, 2014, 04:37 PM »
I got to tinkering around today and made some modifications to my Commando to resolve some things that drove me batty.

Made a platform to get my heater off the ice and behind me. I'm hoping this will help alleviate the tank freezing problem by getting it in warmer air. In any case, it's out of my way and I don't have to carry anything to put it on. Tested it in my unheated garage at 9 degrees and it worked great.

Bungied it down and added some small pieces of angle to keep it in place.

Then, as long as I was at it, I added some bungies at the corners and sides to control the fabric. It was always in the way.

Then ........as long as I was still at it... I put the wire shelf back in under the seat. I had this in there at one time and took it out for some reason.

Well I was still at it so I decided to put the Frabill seat back in. I took out in lieu of a folding camp chair. I decided to replace the heavy steel plate and swivel base that's OEM with a Swivel Ease base. Had to reposition the rear support. Not much of a problem. and dropped about 4 lbs.

There was still some day left so I completed a cover that I've wanted to make since I modified the bottom rails some years ago. So I made a run to Wally World, picked up a nylon wind panel for one of those pop up gazebo things and started working it up. Dug out the sewing machine and played canvas maker. Came out OK too ;D

Tomorrow I fish ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #256 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:26 PM »
Very clever sir.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #257 on: Jan 23, 2014, 09:07 PM »
Awesome RG.  Good Luck Fishing :icefish:

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #258 on: Jan 23, 2014, 09:35 PM »
Looks real good RG. I am thinking about making a different Smitty soon. Made a couple of tip downs the last two days. Was going fishing today but found other things that needed done first.
<===Lefty===

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T7 Custom Rods, CatchEmAll Custom jigs
« Reply #259 on: Jan 24, 2014, 06:31 AM »
Looks sweet RG !!!! I like the heater platform .... simple but effective.
Be safe & Tight lines...........Wiley

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #260 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:17 AM »
Great job RG, I like all the mods......great job on the cover too......simple and effective for sure. Smitty

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #261 on: Jan 24, 2014, 06:17 PM »
The heater worked like a charm. It was 15 or so with 25 mph winds. The tank didn't freeze and the heater was easily in reach while out of the way of fishing. Cover, seat and bungies did their jobs. Smitty's sled made pulling all that stuff out on the ice a whole lot easier.  :clap: :clap:

I was happy across the board. Time well spent ;D

Hope someone else can make use of some of the ideas.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #262 on: Feb 08, 2014, 06:59 PM »
I bought a set of the Beaver Dam Tip Up brackets for mounting to the outside of my bucket.  They made the bucket really side heavy of course since I didn't put a set on each side.  I decided I would mount them into my sled instead.  The side of my sled was just a little short, so I had to cut a piece of 1/4" to mount in between the holders and the sled.  I think it turned out pretty well.  It eliminates one bucket I have to carry with me.

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #263 on: Feb 09, 2014, 02:46 PM »
WAY COOL!

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #264 on: Feb 14, 2014, 10:15 AM »
thats sweet wish i had a reason to even have tip ups tho never have caught a fish on the dang things the mainly just sit tangled in the back of my truck..  blue f150 if you you want them i think theres 3 in there lol

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #265 on: Feb 14, 2014, 11:58 AM »
nice should work alot better

Offline pimple pounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #266 on: Feb 21, 2014, 06:33 AM »
http://rs1363.pbsrc.com/albums/r713/pimplepounder1/icesled_zpsf71fc90f.jpg~320x480

glide lite sled removable wind break. just something to put up on days when the wind is real bad. pvc couplers stay attatched to sled, folds up and fits in sled under the bucket. sticks out a bit but not in the way of pulling the sled. made it so i can use the wider sides to sit and have the length of the sled to offer the most protection from the wind. tarp is 5 by 7 and had to cut some to fit right cost about 50 dollars in material. still planning on doing more.....

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #267 on: Feb 21, 2014, 07:07 AM »
Looks good. Look like the old Frabill Sled that had the Wind break built in. Just used some Clamps on the sides huh?
<===Lefty===

Offline pimple pounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #268 on: Feb 21, 2014, 07:47 AM »
I attached couplers on the front and couplers and small length of pipe on the back that stay attached to the sled. tarp is mounted to the PVC pipe frame and when you want to put it up just slide the pipe frame into each coupler, i have one small bungee on the back to keep wind from blowing under it and i added a piece across the back on the inside to keep it tight. this is fixed on one side and swivels up and locks on a small screw head. did this to make everything fold up thin to slide into sled for transportation. really liked the frabill sled but couldn't find one so i made this.

Offline pimple pounder

• IceShanty Rookie

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.