Author Topic: Already planning for next year!  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Already planning for next year!
« on: Mar 18, 2021, 03:56 PM »
For this season I bought a new auger and new boots(badly needed boots!), but one thing kept me from foot travel in inclement weather; the 70 pound flip over. I just ordered a Shappell FX100. 37 pounds! Now that I have a Quickfish for when I have company, I only need a solo tent. I think this will be a game changer.

I did a lot of research and had a list with prices, weight, etc. This was the lightest (I felt like an AT hiker counting ounces lol) and I have had no problems with either of my Shappells.

My old Rover 1.5 has served me well, but the tent is wearing thin, and with the weight, it isn't worth fixing for me, but it will serve a new purpose. I'm going to drill drainage holes in it, fill it with soil, set the spines up, and plant pole beans in it.  ;D

I'm not done for this season yet, but with this weather, all I need is the windbreak/sled until ice out. And Roccus, Ion should give you a kickback for selling me on that Ion. Drilling holes almost feels like cheating lol.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Already planning for next year!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2021, 04:06 PM »
For this season I bought a new auger and new boots(badly needed boots!), but one thing kept me from foot travel in inclement weather; the 70 pound flip over. I just ordered a Shappell FX100. 37 pounds! Now that I have a Quickfish for when I have company, I only need a solo tent. I think this will be a game changer.

I did a lot of research and had a list with prices, weight, etc. This was the lightest (I felt like an AT hiker counting ounces lol) and I have had no problems with either of my Shappells.

My old Rover 1.5 has served me well, but the tent is wearing thin, and with the weight, it isn't worth fixing for me, but it will serve a new purpose. I'm going to drill drainage holes in it, fill it with soil, set the spines up, and plant pole beans in it.  ;D

I'm not done for this season yet, but with this weather, all I need is the windbreak/sled until ice out. And Roccus, Ion should give you a kickback for selling me on that Ion. Drilling holes almost feels like cheating lol.

Amazing how fast the winter  has passed
.I'm so glad you like the Ion, I've recommended  them to a few people, all have been happy..
Sounds like you have a solid game plan..i like your idea for the pole  bean garden!
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2021, 04:23 PM »
I think the planter will go with my theme. My friend's son built me a mailbox and put a daredevil for the flag lol.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2021, 04:33 PM »
Glad you had a decent season, despite not getting out as much as you wanted. Sounds like you enjoyed some new gear as well.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2021, 05:23 PM »
Sounds like a great way to repurpose that old shack... I hope you're using some fish for fertilizer, only seems right with the planter you'll be using lol. For the last few years I've thrown a pan fish in the hole under all my tomato plants, works like a charm.
Good luck with the new gear.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2021, 08:26 PM »
All the bait in my "tank" that dies fertilizes my garden too! I try not to let anything go to waste.

Funny story for you, it just popped into my head. Remember Bondage Boy, the pickerel? As the snow started melting I spotted what was left of him outside my window last week, right in front of the house! (Not where I had tossed it). Later on, I saw the crows getting after it, and when I looked again, there was just a head and spine. The next day the whole thing was gone lol. The local wildlife is going to be bummed when I get better with the filet knife.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.