The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Is Corn the real trout Killer under the ice  (Read 3850 times)

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is Corn the real trout Killer under the ice
« on: Mar 04, 2022, 02:57 PM »
This subject came up under a  topic  I started about Chumming and It hits a sore spot with me. I don't know if trout die eating corn because I never caught one with corn in it and I caught my fair share of stock rainbows BUT HERE IS MY SORE SPOT....of the 31 rainbow trout I caught ice fishing  4 of them had BASS PLASTIC WORMS IN THEM?|!!!!!!There bellies were swollen...You guys know what I. talking about I did not eat those trout. They eat those bass worms full of scents and chemicals. I see those bass worms all over the shore line all puffed up in the summer time   I can see it coming down the pike guys....Bass Worms and all those plastic baits  will go the way of the lead sinkers. I'll get down from the soap box...Take care keep jigging Guys.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Is Corn the real trout Killer under the ice
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2022, 03:03 PM »
Yeah, that's been about as popular as the bait-container tossing crowds.
Yet these turds will be the first to complain about "their rights" to fish when spots get closed because of "their" littering/polluting.

Maybe the manufacturers could develop a safe biodegradable lure, one that is made of an inert mixture, so that if it were eaten by fish it would be harmless (except for not being digestible).
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2022, 04:17 PM »
trout will eat all kinds of stuff. i have found lots plastics, leaves, rocks, sticks, cig butts........... i still eat them though :P

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2022, 04:22 PM »
They already have biodegradable ones.  They are more expensive but worked just as well IMO.  I can't say I don't throw my share of wacky rigged yamamotos but would be nice to see a large company come out with a biodegradable version.
westernmas on the finder

Offline QuinnTheEskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2022, 04:44 PM »
I think that corn/trout thing is just a stupid myth that won’t die.  Plastic baits on the other hand…

Offline wardo888

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2022, 06:02 PM »
To be honest, I assume most of these plastics come from anglers just tossing them after a catch since the plastic is all torn up? The only time I actually lose plastics is if I’m snagged , or, I could count on one hand the amount of times I’ve caught a fish and it’s swallowed the bait but the hook was still there. Ragged worn out plastics return to the backpack where I take them home and intend on tossing them, but laziness ensues and I always just end up with a mess of useless plastics that remain in the backpack.

Yamamotos are one of the best plastics out there, but I don’t use them because of how soft they are; they tend to shear off after one catch, and they aren’t cheap.  Zoom is my go to because they’re cheaper and last longer.

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2022, 04:37 AM »
Here are some figures....Good/Bad...The bad first.......of the 300 tons of plastic manufactured  10-12 million are SPL  (soft plastic lures). SPL's have been around since 1949...N. Creme invented them.....The bulk of that 10-12 million tons will  end up in the bottom of a some form of water so every SPL  you see at Walmart ....in the DRINK.OH...my results of 31 trout with 4 having SPL's  was almost the same study done in Canada on lake trout....now the Good,,,,WAX WORMS EAT PLASTIC........ LOL...LOL.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2022, 06:30 AM »
Dont care about trout eating corn.  The ones that do are usually allways inbred tank scrubbers.  Pets for googans to chase and feel like they are good at catching trout.

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2022, 06:54 AM »
Mammals or birds getting hurt by plastics(real or fake) will be what gets a ban on plastics.
General public is not worried about fish.

Offline Knot there yet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Sub Zero Mafia Ice Team
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2022, 08:39 AM »
Caught ton of perch on couple trips and saw lots of sanko’s spit  out all swallow 3x normal

Offline tipupman123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2022, 10:29 AM »
I always toss my butts in the water guess i should re think that one

Yeah 100000000% should re think that.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2022, 11:06 AM »
No idea about corn and trout but to the person that said anglers must throw every spent plastic in the water is forgetting about how bass fight.  They throw plastics on the jump all the time.  One also sometimes sets a hook and misses, and all you get back is the hook.  The plastic ripped off on the big swing.

I know there's not a lot of hope for our species taking care of the earth, but I'd like to think most guys trash their trash, not dump it in the drink.

Offline scooper47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2022, 07:22 AM »

Nicotine is a major poison for fish. I doubt that it will be concentrated enough in a lake, but why take the chance.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2022, 07:28 AM »
Wow. What else do you toss in the lake? Beer cans? Wrappers? Trash is trash bud.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2022, 02:52 PM »
One of the things   I notice the most in ice fishing are those piles of ashes/junk from burning  bonfires. They bring all sorts of stuff out there  and put a match to it. There was one pile that must have had  a couple ponds of 3 inch nails in it. A nail could really do some damage to a power auger f it fell off a pile going out while it was snowing and those parties out there also add to the junk on top and below. What do you think guys...good or bad ???

Offline REDGIANT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2022, 04:31 PM »
2 years ago out on Forge Pond in Granby, there were remains left on the ice of a huge bonfire.  All of the usual suspects were there, unburned wood and cardboard, dozens of smashed and charred beer cans, balls of line, cigarette butts, half melted Gamakatsu packages, plastic food bags, and the very rare, not one but 2, burnt skillets.  The EPO showed up early that day.  He was pretty chill and proceeded to ask us if we knew anything about it then told us he was following up on a complaint call he had received the day before to which my buddy said 'way to respond in a timely fashion'  Needless to say, he was not impressed. He had us reel up all our tip ups and checked all our lines for lead sinkers. Then checked the bait buckets and our licenses.  Everything checked out and I told my buddy if he ever wised off like that again I would sink him down an auger hole.  These are not sportsmen leaving behind messes like that, they are entitled little man baby slobs.
TIP UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2022, 04:47 PM »

Yeah 100000000% should re think that.

Agreed! Fish gulp the filter down, loaded with nicotine and other nasty stuff, and there it stays in 'em.......
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Mar 17, 2022, 05:28 AM »
Agreed! Fish gulp the filter down, loaded with nicotine and other nasty stuff, and there it stays in 'em.......

He's being sarcastic but its fun to see people think someone would come here and admit that willingly. 

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 17, 2022, 07:43 AM »
Dont care about trout eating corn.  The ones that do are usually allways inbred tank scrubbers.  Pets for googans to chase and feel like they are good at catching trout.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :icefish:
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 20, 2022, 04:16 AM »
As a taxidermist I have taken in several large holdover brown trout with plastic baits in their digestive tracts. There is no way they would have passed them so the fish would have essentially starved to death in time. Some probably do.

As far as the corn I will tell you what I have learned hatching and raising trout. Trout are carnivores so they need a high protein diet. Corn is worthless in that respect. Even omnivores such as ourselves don't get much out of corn as we pass most if it. Too high of carbohydrates are detrimental to trout if there is not enough in their diet.  I guess it depends on how much corn they are consuming?

The part that really bothers me is the amount of moldy corn I have seen on the bottom of trout lakes. I've seen anglers chumming with it and really get carried away.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #20 on: Mar 20, 2022, 06:37 PM »
With all the trash, litter, and everything else tossed in the water, plastic worms are at the bottom of my worry list.

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 21, 2022, 06:41 AM »
I think that "EVERY LITTER BIT HURTS " . On top  of the ice, below the ice.on land and in the air. SPL's (soft plastic lures) STUFFED RAINBOW  TROUT are show up in my bag limits. ARE THERE ANY OTHER FISHERMAN catching SPL rainbow trout??? I wonder how many rainbows die of SPL'S AND LAY ON THE BOTTOM OF THE POND.Or maybe that's the answer to"GEE, THE STATE HAS NOT STOCKED THAT MANY RAINBOWS THIS YEAR!!! I wonder how many SPL's lay on the bottom of Quabbin???? also does the SPL'S stay there at the bottom of the pond after the fish dies?????I have a chemical background and know what plastics can do(Plastic Coating Corp,Scott Graphics, James River Graphics and Rexham Graphics) 32 years....

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 21, 2022, 08:08 AM »
I think that "EVERY LITTER BIT HURTS " . On top  of the ice, below the ice.on land and in the air. SPL's (soft plastic lures) STUFFED RAINBOW  TROUT are show up in my bag limits. ARE THERE ANY OTHER FISHERMAN catching SPL rainbow trout??? I wonder how many rainbows die of SPL'S AND LAY ON THE BOTTOM OF THE POND.Or maybe that's the answer to"GEE, THE STATE HAS NOT STOCKED THAT MANY RAINBOWS THIS YEAR!!! I wonder how many SPL's lay on the bottom of Quabbin???? also does the SPL'S stay there at the bottom of the pond after the fish dies?????I have a chemical background and know what plastics can do(Plastic Coating Corp,Scott Graphics, James River Graphics and Rexham Graphics) 32 years....

I've read some plastics can last centuries in landfills.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 21, 2022, 09:28 AM »
I agree with you Taxi     but those plastics BREAK DOWN while laying around  for centuries to some NASTY COMPOUNDS and some invert back to their basic elements.I'll leave right here and not get into a lot of Tech stuff. All those Green HILL  mounts of stuff  (land fills)are no better than the LAND FILLS under the ice. Those Green Hills cast a image that every thing is Hokey Dorry...have you notice that a lot of LAND FILLS are located near water,rivers streams, ponds and I notice ONE pond next to a river with no trees/weeds????I know that they ice fish below this pond 1 mile away.. Plastic has made life easy here in USA but we have to learn to control it . What do you think>>>>>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.