Author Topic: Bleeding Gills on the ice?  (Read 7536 times)

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bleeding Gills on the ice?
« on: Feb 02, 2008, 09:50 PM »
Hey guys, when i catch a nice eater walleye 15-16inches i tend to bleed them on the ice, same for jumbo perch, do you guys do that for bluegill at all? never really thought about it.
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Bleeding Gills on the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2008, 04:12 PM »
I never have.  Not to say it would not be better for them but I have not found the need to bleed them
<br />

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2008, 05:37 PM »
Hey guys, when i catch a nice eater walleye 15-16inches i tend to bleed them on the ice, same for jumbo perch, do you guys do that for bluegill at all? never really thought about it.
I bleed my Walleye and Pike [not on the ice however really turns some people off] I have never tried  big Gills or Perch. I bet it would make the meat taste even better.

Offline Mikey B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2008, 03:44 PM »
Gills are one of the less bloody fish when you clean them, just fillet them,wash them off and fry.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2008, 07:16 PM »
exactly, in fact i don't bleed any of my fish (except trout) plus whenever we go out on the ice by the time we get the line back down the hole they are fish sticks

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2008, 07:38 PM »
Never felt the need to bleed...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2008, 11:01 AM »
Nope... have never done it b/c I heard it will attract Grizzly's.. especially here in Ohio
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2008, 03:04 PM »
Nope... have never done it b/c I heard it will attract Grizzly's.. especially here in Ohio
Really you have Grizzly in Ohio

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2008, 03:05 PM »
normally dont find the need to bleed fish on the ice for some reason

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2008, 06:41 PM »
Sounds like a myth just like the necessity to bleed a deer.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2008, 07:59 PM »
Sounds like a myth just like the necessity to bleed a deer.
The next time you catch a Walleye cut one of its gills and you will see how white the meat is after. A fish is alive when you cut the gill so the heart is beating and the blood flows a little hard to bleed a deer that the heart isn't beating. No myth it helps the taste.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2008, 08:00 PM »
The next time you catch a Walleye cut one of its gills and you will see how white the meat is after. A fish is alive when you cut the gill so the heart is beating and the blood flows a little hard to bleed a deer that the heart isn't beating. No myth it helps the taste.

I've always thrown my fish on ice right away without bleeding and they taste fine.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Mr.bluegill

« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2008, 08:06 PM »
tell me more about this bleeding stuff whenever i go fishing for pike i just give them to the guy that takes me out. do you do it one the ice or what thanks

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2008, 08:08 PM »
I've always thrown my fish on ice right away without bleeding and they taste fine.
I agree if they are gills or perch.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2008, 08:45 PM »
tell me more about this bleeding stuff whenever i go fishing for pike i just give them to the guy that takes me out. do you do it one the ice or what thanks
The fish that I bleed the most are Walleye and that is because I don't fish for Pike often.  While the fish is still alive cut one or two gills and let them bleed out and the meat will turn out very white and I feel that it helps the taste. I also bleed Pike when I catch them.  Pike are almost as good eating as Walleye I have two friends that prefer them over Walleye, just a little harder to clean.

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2008, 09:01 PM »
I agree with empty hook,the meat looks whiter if you bleed them(I always cut the flesh between the gills too,but as long as the heart's beating, I suppose any major artery will do. I also agree with him on deer-if the heart isn't beating,there's no use bleeding...chances are it's bled internally(or externally) before it died anyway.

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2008, 07:29 AM »
Just be careful in certain states cleaning fish on a body of water is against the law.It is here in NY which is a fish waste disposal law.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2008, 08:45 AM »
Just be careful in certain states cleaning fish on a body of water is against the law.It is here in NY which is a fish waste disposal law.
  Cleaning fish on a body of water is also against the law in Mi  but bleeding isn't.  I do my bleeding in a bucket with some water while on hard water. Bleeding on the ice or snow doesn't put fishermen in a good spotlight.

Offline The Farmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2008, 09:08 PM »
I guess you learn something new every day. Never heard of this before. Ill have to try it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.