Author Topic: Hali-Jig for perch  (Read 22457 times)

Offline bird-man

• IceShanty Rookie
Hali-Jig for perch
« on: Jan 23, 2013, 03:48 PM »
I just bought a few Hali's and my mission is for perch. Would you guys fill me in on what is your favorite colors and what size? I've heard these are good perch jigs. Thanks for any help.

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hali-Jig for perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:41 AM »
Best ive done with has been bright green by bottom. i like to lift it up a few times shake it real quick then let it sit 10 secondss and repeat. with 2 spikes on it. have had decent luck for crappies and perch even a trout or 2

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2013, 05:56 PM »
When using spikes I load it up with 3 to 6 spikes. With a wax worm I "T"Bone it. Sometimes I bait it with a minnow head.  Thump it on the bottom a few times, then raise it slowly.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline webster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2013, 06:11 AM »
I have good luck with halies for perch tipped with spikes as far as coler dependes on where and how deep you fish if the water is real cloudy try aglow in the dark pattern.    I real mine up a lot and let it fall.   The deeper the water the heavy the jig you want to use also (let me try to explain)   I do not want my lures to fall to fast I want them to flutter down go out away from the hole and then drift back to the center oof the hole.   I guess i would say 12 feet of water use a hali about 1.5 inches long 20 feet go to the longr ones.    I have to admitt northland forage minnow smelt patterns have been deadly for me this year so far.   I remove the treble hook and replace it with a #8 wide eye hook which can be bought at fly tying shops and tip them with maggots.   The treble hooks will work tipped with maggots but remember there are two more barbs out there when yuo grab that fish

Offline Channel Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2013, 05:07 PM »
My go to rig this year has been a Hali Sukkula 25 AWFR glow white with yellow stripes and pink head. I remove the chain /hook and tie on a 6# Segaur fluro leader ~6" long with a #14 scud type wet fly with gold bead head. Tip with a mousie when I can get them and 2 spikes, a waxie and 2 spikes or as many spikes as I can get on the small hook, including a dead brown spike on first. Caught so many on this rig the bead is the only thing left and I caught 1 Saturday with bead only, no meat. Tied a new one on today. 2 weeks ago I didn't even get another jig wet and got my limit.

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:48 PM »
 Those jigs work great for lots of fish species.

Offline ID_IceRookie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2015, 11:30 PM »
Has anyone else had problems with the hooks straightening out on Hali jigs? I lost a jumbo yesterday due to that. The hooks seem pretty wimpy to me.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2015, 11:36 PM »
The ones I've had the most luck are the 25mm (the smallest size) in yellow glow perch (AYF), green glow perch (AFRG), yellow/red glow perch (AFYR) and perch glow.(AFRG)

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2015, 12:36 AM »
Ist lure I drop down for perch, I like perch/ gold pattern and replace single hook with #14 treble. Also love Perpetual Motion spoon too!
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2015, 12:55 AM »
Perch gold has been the best one I've used for perch.  Tip with maggots.  When the maggots pull off after a few fish, pop a perch eye out and use that for meat. I've literally caught over a 100 (at a time) of perch this way.

Offline Fisher4Life

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bout that time!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:38 PM »
One of my go to lures, certain lake I fish they are the only lure I'll tie on! Semi aggressive jiggle then hold steady for a bit, smack bottom, rip up, repeat!    :icefish:

Offline jschragg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2015, 06:37 PM »
Does the halo jig eliminate the little perch from biting? Anyone tip with minnows
Keep your stick on the ice

Offline Fisher4Life

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bout that time!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:21 PM »
No, I've caught 3" bluegills on em... I use the smaller size of them though.

Offline bloom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2015, 10:30 PM »
Does the halo jig eliminate the little perch from biting? Anyone tip with minnows

Definitely no.  They seem to catch the most little perch for me.  They will catch big ones too (even landed some nice walleye) but you will not avoid the small ones if they are there.

Offline stimpyNEK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2015, 03:53 PM »
green,blue bronze and perch color all work,glow ones work great
Its T shirt weather until you can actually die of hypothermia

Offline Klunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2015, 07:08 PM »
Where do you buy your Hali-jigs?

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2015, 08:31 AM »
Where do you buy your Hali-jigs?

Most local tackle shops carry them. If not, try online.
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2015, 05:00 PM »
The hali used to be my go to for perch, that is before I tried the lindy perch talker, I have a new go to.
:icefish:

Offline vexaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2016, 05:57 PM »
I noticed when I fish minnow heads with the Hali-jig and the dropper chain that the minnow head floats and rest up against the jig.Doesn't seem like a natural presentation. Catch some but seems like a lot of lookers. Like the dropper chain just doesn't work with minnow heads. Tried split shot on hook but couldn't seem to keep heads on. Any suggestions ?

Offline icefishinman88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2016, 05:35 PM »
Green hali is my go to lure. It stays right on one of my rods.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2016, 07:00 AM »
The hali used to be my go to for perch, that is before I tried the lindy perch talker, I have a new go to.

What color do you use?

Offline varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 14, 2016, 09:40 PM »
boy i looked at those perch talkers...for 5 bucks i think i could make them a whole lot cheaper.Just saying..just beads on a wire and a chain & hook like the hali.

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 14, 2016, 10:19 PM »
The ones I've had the most luck are the 25mm (the smallest size) in yellow glow perch (AYF), green glow perch (AFRG), yellow/red glow perch (AFYR) and perch glow.(AFRG)

These are my go to perch jigs also.

Offline Tomz1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Sep 03, 2016, 07:59 PM »
I found on late ice halis really shine for perch I'll thread a wax worm on the hook and I personally like the ones with the tail like shape on one side.. I search spots that they will spawn in, in a few weeks when the ice melts usually 4-6 feet of water over cabbage. I'll drop it down to the bottom real up so the hook just rests on the bottom with about 2 feet of line above the hole, then I rip it right up to the bottom of the ice and drop my tip to the hole leaving lots of slack. The spoon should lay flat on its side and slide way out then as your line tightens up raise it slowely so your rod tip is 2 feet above the whole at this point your spoon will have slid way out then slowly floated back to the center of your hole alot of times this will bring perch in from a distance. The biggest perch I catch on hard water are caught this way I've found it will out fish minnows every day. I'll drill a dozen holes 40 feet apart or so in the bays the perch span in and walk from hole to hole I'll give it 2-3 good rips jig it a bit let it sit rip it again and move on if nothing comes in. My favorite color is red white n blue however the plain glow one works good too.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Sep 03, 2016, 08:06 PM »
boy i looked at those perch talkers...for 5 bucks i think i could make them a whole lot cheaper.Just saying..just beads on a wire and a chain & hook like the hali.

(Image removed from quote.)

Hali jigs are too dang much $$$ too.. That perch talker does look pretty easy to make.. I think I already have all that.. I'm assuming that it uses glass beads for weight and noise? I'm going to try to make a couple...

<°)))>{

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2019, 04:34 AM »
So for you guys that fish with whole minnows on the Halis and the like...hook through the mouth or back?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline twinlakesfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:26 PM »
I've just got into hali jigs and i rig the whole minnow in the back. did very well on a bite that was hot on a small shallow lake but never got anything on another body of water with 30-40 fow

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 16, 2019, 10:22 PM »
Has anyone else had problems with the hooks straightening out on Hali jigs? I lost a jumbo yesterday due to that. The hooks seem pretty wimpy to me.

IceRookie:

Yes, I think the hooks on the Hali jigs are real flimsy.  I replace the chain hooks on my Hali's with the ones made by Northland Tackle that are available with either size 6 or 8 hooks.  These are much stronger hooks.

There is a lure company in Iowa that makes a jig that is similar to Hali's and are less expensive:  https://www.shuckslures.com/

ClearCreek

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.