Author Topic: HT Ice Rigger type thingymaboby advice  (Read 1902 times)

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
HT Ice Rigger type thingymaboby advice
« on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:51 PM »
Alright guys/gals

I need some advice from my NH IS crew..i want to pick up a couple of HT rigger type setups, I dont want the jawjacker because I want to be able to set the hook myself..What are some recommendations..I know clam has one as well..Can i get some insight as to your experience with any of them, and which one you would recommend...looking at getting 3 or 4, price is not an issue-id rather get quality

Thank you in advance!  ;D
Henry

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: HT Ice Rigger type thingymaboby advice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:00 PM »
Alright guys/gals

I need some advice from my NH IS crew..i want to pick up a couple of HT rigger type setups, I dont want the jawjacker because I want to be able to set the hook myself..What are some recommendations..I know clam has one as well..Can i get some insight as to your experience with any of them, and which one you would recommend...looking at getting 3 or 4, price is not an issue-id rather get quality

As in HT Enterprises, as in from Wisconsin products???? BLAH!!! made in China..... >:( Walmert sells 'em and peeps who do not know better think they are Heritage Lakers...shame shame shame.......

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:07 PM »
i didnt buy anything yet! i just want to get some opinions..i want something to rig up a jigging rod to a flag so i can hook and fight fish on a jigging rod.
Henry

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:10 PM »
i think your talking about the ice riggers, not the hardwater explorers? you want quality check out the indian hill nor'easters = quality/craftsmanship. arctic warriors/ice riggers/jawjackers, are the few i know exist.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:16 PM »
Henry,
Indian Hill Nor'easter is what you want. Go to the ice hole in Brookline, he is open Thurs-Sun and he has them, great equipment. I have all my traps from them.

-Scott

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:17 PM »
i think your talking about the ice riggers, not the hardwater explorers? you want quality check out the indian hill nor'easters = quality/craftsmanship. arctic warriors/ice riggers/jawjackers, are the few i know exist.

yes that would be correct, i want a few Ice riggers. Thank you for clarifying!
Henry

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:18 PM »
Alright guys/gals

Wait til we hook up, don't buy anything yet, trust me
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:18 PM »
Henry,
Indian Hill Nor'easter is what you want. Go to the ice hole in Brookline, he is open Thurs-Sun and he has them, great equipment. I have all my traps from them.

-Scott

Thank you very much Scott!

Ill have to make a trip over that way on my next set of days off and pick a few up. Thank you for your input!
Henry

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:18 PM »

will do boss... lets try to figure something out for next week or the week after ;)
Henry

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:19 PM »
No problem Henry!

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:22 PM »
Whatsa matta? You fellas cannot jig with all 4 appendages? rofl I am disappointed Franky, or maybe thats why you say "to wait?" A new Flinestone approach to fishing. I love it ;D

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:27 PM »
Good things come to those who wait, and bait ;D
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
Henry

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:32 PM »
i didnt buy anything yet! i just want to get some opinions..i want something to rig up a jigging rod to a flag so i can hook and fight fish on a jigging rod.
Matter of fact, all their products are made in China. If you do buy them, be sure to lead test 'em.

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:33 PM »
Matter of fact, all their products are made in China. If you do buy them, be sure to lead test 'em.

Almost all of my gear is homemade traps from Maine, Mass (40 up) or Northern NH..Im the last one to support China ;D
Henry

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:37 PM »
Almost all of my gear is homemade traps from Maine, Mass (40 up) or Northern NH..Im the last one to support China ;D
Nice selection in choices....you are doing well this year..keep up the good work, however I suspect ole' AA may teach ya a thing or two, regardless of what Cold_Steel says ;D Only stirring the pot in a playful manner, don't mind me ;) ;)

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:44 PM »
Thank you Dipsy...i have plenty to learn, and never think i cant get better..Im sure i can learn alot from everyone on here, whether they started fishing yesterday, or last century..or the one before that ::)  ;D

Cold Steel has been awful silent lately, he came up and fished with me last weekend...i wonder if he survived the new year shinanigans????
Henry

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:46 PM »
Thank you Dipsy...i have plenty to learn, and never think i cant get better..Im sure i can learn alot from everyone on here, whether they started fishing yesterday, or last century..or the one before that ::)  ;D

Cold Steel has been awful silent lately, he came up and fished with me last weekend...i wonder if he survived the new year shinanigans????
He has been making random quotes on FB, so he is alive, but has been quiet. It was great fishing with him on Xmas eve.

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:47 PM »

Footloose and fancy free, always cooked the goose. Too many fish and not enough time, I believe thats how it goes @)

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:37 PM »

;) You'll see Henry

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:24 AM »
Two  years ago I bought four HT iceriggers from KTP($14 each and free shipping).   I love them and I even use them for open water when the kids love to see the flags pop up along the shoreline.   But, I wish I had known that they were a Chinese assembly!!
Anyhow, I bought one of the Indian Hill Noreasters last year and I like it even better except for cost ($35 plus shipping).   ingenious, good quality and ,most important, They pack flat in my pack basket.  The HT "thingymaboby" is bulky and the flag doesn't want to stay packed down.   Price does make a difference to a retired old man living on SS so I will probably have to be happy with one of the NorEasters.

The only problem with these rigs is that the lines freezes in the hole on really cold days.  You either have to tend the hole all the time or use them only on moderately cold days!!   Tipups work just as well but its just so much fun fighting a fish on the little ice rod!!

If your only fishing two holes and the second is nearby you might just as well hang the rod on a buckets or basket and leave the bail open.

Thanks for the warning Dipsy.  Sometimes I forget to check for the Chinese production??

Dick

Offline Me223656

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:32 AM »
I have been making my own version for about ten years now. Only takes about 2-4 dollars to make depending on what i have on hand. Here is a short video of its operation.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-SQqjwUDalw
They work flawlessly. I take styrofoam and make a slit in it to insulate the hole. I kick myself in the rear for not trying for a patent years ago lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.