Author Topic: the shiny shack  (Read 7932 times)

Offline fxdxharley

• IceShanty Rookie
the shiny shack
« on: Jan 10, 2011, 02:12 PM »
the floor 5x7

wall framing

all walls built

one side done with alum press plates from a local paper. thin and lite
and the heat source

Play hard, Take chances!!

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: the shiny shack
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2011, 02:42 PM »
Still does not work.  :'(

Offline fxdxharley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2011, 02:45 PM »
i know errrrrr  >:( tried every way too.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2011, 02:47 PM »
i know errrrrr  >:( tried every way too.

get a photobucket account

Offline fxdxharley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:06 PM »
man what a pita! now i got like 87 accts online. more pics later tonight. hope to get the other walls mostly done after work. will see depends on how windy it is. sucks working outside when its warm in the shed. haha

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Can't catch em from the couch.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:09 PM »
Lookin good!

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:31 PM »
yep, coming along nicely!!!!!!!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:48 PM »
looks great! I have one just like it, you wont be disappointed. Mine stays in durham for smelting.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline fxdxharley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:37 AM »
I got alot more done last night but ran out of caulking for the alum. it was late and dark so no pics to add.  it was 25 deg but with the wind man i was freezing. hope to finish up the sides and roof tonight before the snow hits.

Offline fxdxharley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:56 AM »
alright the shell is 99% done other than a few more pieces of alum, the door, installing the windows and trim. even got the roof on last night. hard to see in the dark but its the wavy glavi roof panels. had to put on a charge last night because of the bizzard were getting now i didnt want snow inside. this thing should heat up well in the sun. wonder if i will still need 12 sq in of reflective on each side.  ;D

Offline landlockedsalmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My wife said its her or the Vexilar,we'll miss her
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2011, 06:15 AM »
Be careful,we had a shiny shack once,it melted the ice around the shack from the suns reflections,and in three days,on a long weekend when nobody checked, the shack sunk.We ended up retreiving it and painting it black instead.So just a warning about shiny shacks.lls
If everyone concentrated on the important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishingpoles.......... ..............Remember we all live downstream

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:21 AM »
We had an aluminum bobhouse also and it did reflect the sun and melt the ice. They are light which is nice but they have there set backs.  #1 VERY FRAGILE AND TEAR EASILY,KEEP SPARE PIECES FOR REPAIRS.  #2 NOISY IN THE WIND. #3 NEVER FOUND A CAULING THAT WOULD HOLD THE INSULATION TO THE ALUMINUM FOR MORE THAN A FEW WEEKS SO YOU HAVE TO STRAP THE INSULATION PANELS.  but they are light  !!
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:34 AM »
#3 NEVER FOUND A CAULING THAT WOULD HOLD THE INSULATION TO THE ALUMINUM FOR MORE THAN A FEW WEEKS SO YOU HAVE TO STRAP THE INSULATION PANELS. 

That "Great Stuff" expanding foam holds the panels in nicely.

My aluminum shack melted into the lake a couple times as well until we painted it up....and it is wicked loud in the wiind.

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:38 AM »
I like it very durable and blinding!  ;D

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:43 AM »
This could be a money maker. Charge people to come by and use it like a tanning booth. ;D All kidding aside, I was wondering about it melting into the ice. I'm sure it reflects a lot of heat.

Capt. Black

Offline fxdxharley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2011, 08:04 AM »
yeah im sure its going to be load but thats a something i can deal with. i did caulk and over lap the seams as i hung the alum. they make a special caul/glue for foam board too. but i think im just going to use 2" foam and panel the inside with 1/8. that should keep the panels from flapping and keep noise down. not to worried about the ice melt, it will be up on blocks under the 4x4 ski's. if they melt in then im just losing a few small chuncks of 4x4.

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2011, 09:16 AM »
I'm in the process of building a new shanty.
One of those you put in the back of your truck with seats that hang over the sides of the truck bed.
Double door to be able to drive a snowmobile or atv into.
Bottom half is aluminum, walls are vinyl siding and top is aluminum. 1 3/8" insulation board used in floors, walls and ceiling.
$10 worth of 'Great Stuff' expanding foam would be the way to glue in your foam board insulation.  That stuff sticks to everything.
Just get the Original orange can.
All I have left to do, is hang the hollow core luan doors that I sealed with contact cement.

I also strongly suggest you not only paint the outside with a color not too dark, not too light, but also insulate your shanty as much as you can afford to.
If you leave the shanty shiny, the sun will reflect off and melt the ice.  If you don't insulate it, and sun will heat the inside and the heat will radiate through the floor and melt the ice.  If you paint it dark, the sun will heat it quicker.  If you paint it off white, it will be harder to see against the snow.

As the temps start to warm in March, remember to move your house often.  I left mine in one spot too long one year and was walking around on styrofoam ice.  Ice was 12" thick, but I could punch through it with one good wack of the chisel.  No fun walking around on that stuff trying to get all my tie-downs.

Good luck this season.

Newfound Bloodhound

Offline fxdxharley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2011, 07:27 AM »
Newfound, I do plan to insulate it with foam. i believe great stuff will melt some foam baord so becarefull there. ge makes a glue /caulk for foam baord i would use that instead. Not going to paint the outside of mine yet its to cold out to do so. wait and see what happens. Dont think i will have a problem with being up off the ice 8 inches or so. I like your shack idea, i was thinking that rout at first but hard to load and unload whith just 2 guys. i only fish with one buddy so going on to my sled trailer will be much easier.

Offline clayfish143

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:28 AM »
great shack :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Allen66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:37 AM »
The point these guys are trying to make is the reflected sun melts the snow  and ice AROUND the shack and it will go swimming!

Offline Allen66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:38 AM »
And it is a nice build.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2011, 01:01 AM »
Ever take a magnifying glass and fry ants? shiny sheds will do almost the same to ice around the shed. Be aware of that

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.