Author Topic: Fishing Newfound for the Derby  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
Fishing Newfound for the Derby
« on: Feb 02, 2009, 07:14 AM »
Just wondering if anyone was fishing Newfound for the Derby this weekend???

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Re: Fishing Newfound for the Derby
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2009, 08:10 AM »
I'll be fishing Newfound but not for the "this" derby.

JIGGIN.

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2009, 08:18 AM »
It's kinda hard to fish the Winni Derby this weekend anyway, cuz it is actually in May.  I think it is the Great Rotary Derby this weekend.  ;)
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2009, 08:58 AM »
Not fishing the Derby, unless my dad changes his mind again.
I'll most likely be on Newfound again.
Caught a nice 18" Rainbow this Saturday.  2 rainbow, 2 lakers. Rainbow bellies were empty, except for one cigarette butt.  the Lakers had smelt in the bellies.
Nothing over 18".  My dads an ol' timer, and nothing goes back..

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2009, 12:08 PM »
It's kinda hard to fish the Winni Derby this weekend anyway, cuz it is actually in May.  I think it is the Great Rotary Derby this weekend.  ;)

Is that better there smart guy?!? There's always one in the crowd.  :)
Are you getting a ticket?

JIGGIN.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2009, 03:04 PM »
Notice I said derby not winni derby.  I knew some wiseguy :laugh:would make a crack about it.  I'm actually not in the derby just fishing at Newfound.  Glad we can have fun on here ;D

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2009, 06:05 PM »
How'd you end up doing Capt. Black on Saturday?

Didn't hear you on the radio on Sunday so I assume you didn't make it out?

I ended up with 4 lakers and CH ended up with 6 for the weekend. We saw fish all day Saturday and Sunday under the house but couldn't get them to hit or leave. I think we didn't see any lakers on the camera for maybe 45 mins total between both days and we put in some long hours.

JIGGIN.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2009, 06:56 PM »
me and 2x4 will be out both days this weekend.....no ticket....but if we do catch something worth bringing to meredith(hahaha......thats a good one!) we will take a split with any takers...saw alot of cusk this past sunday on camera...that'll be our focus this weekend....cant wait!
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2009, 04:52 AM »
How'd you end up doing Capt. Black on Saturday?

Didn't hear you on the radio on Sunday so I assume you didn't make it out?

I ended up with 4 lakers and CH ended up with 6 for the weekend. We saw fish all day Saturday and Sunday under the house but couldn't get them to hit or leave. I think we didn't see any lakers on the camera for maybe 45 mins total between both days and we put in some long hours.

JIGGIN.
We (I) caught three lakers (one was maybe 12 in.) but nothing big.  When you called back on Saturday I was reeling one in.  My two buddies caught a couple 12 oz.ers.  Not bad in the morning but tough after noon.  We're expecting a LARGE crowd for this Saturday.  Hopefully nice.  Sunday I didn't make it out, my wifes birthday.  She did not think it was a good idea to go fishing so we spent most of the day just hanging around at home.  That wasn't bad either.  How was the snow depth where you are?  It was tough walking for us.  The wind was constantly blowing in our tracks. 

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2009, 05:11 AM »
The snow was deep and surprisingly not too wet around the house. I shoveled around my house last weekend and I think that helped stiffen up some of the water.

Glad to hear you were gettin em on Saturday. I heard someone else (catfish) say he got one 10" laker this weekend as well. He made up for it with a couple that were slightly over 20".

You should be easy to spot this weekend with a large crowd. I'll see if the Mrs. wants to go visiting this weekend. She was having too much fun catching and seeing them last weekend to leave. Is your bob house is green?

JIGGIN.

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2009, 05:50 AM »
guess it all depends on the weather...
Still not sure where or if I'll be fishing the Rotary Derby.
The places I go on Winnisquam, are an absolute ZOO derby weekend.
Don't know MerryMeeting well enough to attempt that.  And Meredith Bay, forget about it.
I was actually thinking about fishing Massabessic Lake for taggies, but again, will be an absolute zoo in those rainbow locations.
Usually have much better luck staying away from the crowds..

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:18 AM »
jiggin69,
Yes the green bobhouse.  We got quite a hoot out of listening to you describe your exploding Korean D.  Hope to meet up with you Saturday. 
Newfound,
I'm with you.  Stay away from the crowds.  Although we're going to be our own crowd.

Offline oak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2009, 09:56 AM »
me and 2x4 will be out both days this weekend.....no ticket....but if we do catch something worth bringing to meredith(hahaha......thats a good one!) we will take a split with any takers...saw alot of cusk this past sunday on camera...that'll be our focus this weekend....cant wait!
Don't forget about the lie detector test.
"oak"

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2009, 05:31 PM »
A very active day today.  Landed 8 between 10 of us but many, many flags.  Jiggin69 did not have time for much radio time.  Too busy entertaining.  What a great day.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2009, 05:49 PM »
yep what a day!!...we saw alot of fish on the cam....only got a chance at a few....they never stuck around, you only had one chance at em' and thats it...we got out there at 7 am.....and 5 min. later it was 5 p.m......time sure did fly ...will back out there tomorrow.checkin' cusk lines at daylite.....have fun tomorrow...and good luck!!!!! :tipup: :tipup: :) :)
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2009, 06:39 PM »
Was off Cummings for a couple hours. 9am-12:30.  One Laker 18". 1lb.  Be back out there tomorrow, and without the older version.  If very nice, may take a walk over to Pikes and try south or north of the channel.

Cheers.
Newfound Bloodhound

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2009, 07:03 AM »
A very active day today.  Landed 8 between 10 of us but many, many flags.  Jiggin69 did not have time for much radio time.  Too busy entertaining.  What a great day.

That's awesome! Nice job. We (CH and I) only saw 3 lakers and I lost one (tried setting the hook with the left hand as I was watching the camera). Got em started then lost em. CH got to punch me. She was happy about that.
Got up this morning to a leaky roof. Shoveled it from 5am to now. Heading out to the lake.

Capt. Black, never heard you on the radio, thought you might have not made it out on Saturday otherwise would of come over for a visit.

JIGGIN.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2009, 11:16 AM »
I'll be back next weekend.  Not sure which day though.  I can only get out one day per the boss.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2009, 11:25 AM »
Understand about the one day thing, that's why I got my wife into it too.....Give Laker Taker a holler as he should be able to pick you up from where he's at. He can pass the word to me that your there and we'll over and visit (Wife and I).

Hope the water on the ice freezes between now and next weekend. Freeze up some of the slop.
I somehow doubt it though.

JIGGIN.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2009, 11:52 AM »
Rubber boots for sure.  Wasn't too bad Saturday where we are.  Can't say about Sunday though.  I'll talk to you on 5.5 whatever day I make it up.

Offline troutmasterkjc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2009, 05:49 PM »
I won in 07" 16.5lbs 36inch laker i will be there ;D

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2009, 06:03 PM »
I won in 07" 16.5lbs 36inch laker i will be there ;D

I remember.  perch bucktail.  caught when the green ghost was visiting nearby?
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.