New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346853 times)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #11250 on: Feb 12, 2021, 02:43 PM »
I guess an SUV got stuck coming up hill. Then a pickup truck lost control on hill coming down and had to swerve off into the ditch sideways to avoid a head on collision w the suv,I assume all wheel and 4wd but not positive. Definitely wasn’t fun getting out haha. Hopefully some of the other areas of deeper water will freeze a little more solid w the next few nights in the single digits..

Thats terrible.  Was everyone ok?

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11251 on: Feb 12, 2021, 03:01 PM »
Everyone was good as far as I know,which I was glad to see. Ppl including the trooper were sliding around all over the place trying to walk on the hill. Might take the spud and do a little exploring further up the lake next time

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11252 on: Feb 12, 2021, 03:03 PM »
Everyone was good as far as I know,which I was glad to see. Ppl including the trooper were sliding around all over the place trying to walk on the hill. Might take the spud and do a little exploring further up the lake next time

Well that's good.  I've had a similar experience at eagle point last year.  Almost hit trees myself.  Not fun.

Offline campbellmt

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NY
« Reply #11253 on: Feb 12, 2021, 03:26 PM »
Found a shanty o. The side of the lake today.    Message me if you lost yours and we can get it back to you.

NY - Addicted to Ice!

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11254 on: Feb 12, 2021, 04:39 PM »
Anyone been out of town of Hague yet?

I'm across the lake from Hague. No one out today. Ice is 2 or 3 inches in some places less in others.

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11255 on: Feb 12, 2021, 05:19 PM »
Has anyone ventured out northwest of crown island? I know it looked open or skimmed out there last weekend.
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline Steelhead5678

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11256 on: Feb 12, 2021, 05:46 PM »
Sooooooooooooo friends, I heard a lot of chatter about illegal parking at fort Ann beach, I get that the plows have to turn around across from the beach but there is a parking lot just up the street so drop your gear at the beach and then be a good angler and park in the parking lot. All I really was interested in was ice thickness in that area so based on the comments about people parked everywhere, is it safe to assume there is good ice in that area cause it’s my fav spot on George

Offline AdkKen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11257 on: Feb 13, 2021, 06:41 AM »
Buddy of mine out of Brant Lake NY.  Good underwater footage on LG and a lot of good info on the perch bite in general.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11258 on: Feb 13, 2021, 07:25 AM »
Sooooooooooooo friends, I heard a lot of chatter about illegal parking at fort Ann beach, I get that the plows have to turn around across from the beach but there is a parking lot just up the street so drop your gear at the beach and then be a good angler and park in the parking lot. All I really was interested in was ice thickness in that area so based on the comments about people parked everywhere, is it safe to assume there is good ice in that area cause it’s my fav spot on George

Just go where your spud tells you and you'll be ok.

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11259 on: Feb 13, 2021, 07:45 AM »
This morning it look like there is a large section of OPEN WATER out from the Hague Launch. I didn't notice it yesterday. 

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11260 on: Feb 13, 2021, 10:29 AM »
what parking lot are you talking about. Fished there a few time and only parking I've ever seen is right at the beach.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11261 on: Feb 13, 2021, 10:44 AM »
Google Earth! I’ve never been there but looks like a bit south there’s a parking lot.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11262 on: Feb 13, 2021, 12:10 PM »
Yeah about a mile or so, and plowed closed with icey snow bank, least it was last year.

Offline PSCfishingking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11263 on: Feb 13, 2021, 02:34 PM »
Off Million Dollar beach by the boats now. 5-8" of ice all around. Tons of sleds not much action: 1 laker, 1 missed salmon right under the ice. COLD out.

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11264 on: Feb 13, 2021, 02:57 PM »
what parking lot are you talking about. Fished there a few time and only parking I've ever seen is right at the beach.
They ymca camp used to let you park there but I am not sure they do any more.   The previous manager retired and there is now no parking signs there.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11265 on: Feb 15, 2021, 06:58 AM »
They ymca camp used to let you park there but I am not sure they do any more.   The previous manager retired and there is now no parking signs there.

You can't park there without permission now.  Yet another access that was all well and fine until it was mentioned here...too many people were taking liberty on where to park and now you can't.  Keep this in mind if you get tempted to mention any other limited access LG parking areas....(they should not be mentioned here in my opinion)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11266 on: Feb 15, 2021, 07:08 AM »
Off Million Dollar beach by the boats now. 5-8" of ice all around. Tons of sleds not much action: 1 laker, 1 missed salmon right under the ice. COLD out.

I drove past late yesterday afternoon.  You couldn't pay me to fish MDB with all the non ice fishing activities going on.  No surprise that it was slow. 

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11267 on: Feb 15, 2021, 09:02 AM »
You can't park there without permission now.  Yet another access that was all well and fine until it was mentioned here...too many people were taking liberty on where to park and now you can't.  Keep this in mind if you get tempted to mention any other limited access LG parking areas....(they should not be mentioned here in my opinion)

It’s not just the king either. This is happening all over nys and public places are getting used and abused like never before. The internet gives up every nook and cranny of every single
Body of water with Google earth, on x hunt, navionics etc. Covid definitely brought more people to the ice this year whether it was due to cabin fever or the need to provide food due to financial hardships. Either way we are
And have been on a slippery slope and I don’t see how it will ever be fixed.

Offline reggie1610

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11268 on: Feb 15, 2021, 10:17 AM »
Parking is just going to get worst and worst as people continue to abuse spots. I couldn't believe the amount of people parking along spots with clear no parking signs last weekend when I was driving around Lake George. The residents already do not want people out ice fishing and that just isn't going to help.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11269 on: Feb 15, 2021, 10:18 AM »
It’s not just the king either. This is happening all over nys and public places are getting used and abused like never before. The internet gives up every nook and cranny of every single
Body of water with Google earth, on x hunt, navionics etc. Covid definitely brought more people to the ice this year whether it was due to cabin fever or the need to provide food due to financial hardships. Either way we are
And have been on a slippery slope and I don’t see how it will ever be fixed.

It won't.  Theres a group of people that fish that believe all this info should be shared and what's the harm and you'll see posts here "what's the point of the site" and then those people are the first to complain when access is blocked. 

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #11270 on: Feb 15, 2021, 10:24 AM »
It won't.  Theres a group of people that fish that believe all this info should be shared and what's the harm and you'll see posts here "what's the point of the site" and then those people are the first to complain when access is blocked.

That's the same group that posts everything and anything (including pictures)  on the Facebook fishing groups. :P
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11271 on: Feb 15, 2021, 12:42 PM »
That's the same group that posts everything and anything (including pictures)  on the Facebook fishing groups. :P

Just get up earlier than the googans. If you want to fish bad enough it’s not an issue. They all leave by noon anyway...

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11272 on: Feb 15, 2021, 12:47 PM »
Just get up earlier than the googans. If you want to fish bad enough it’s not an issue. They all leave by noon anyway...

Missing the point....you can show up at the YMCA at 2am now if you want...beat every googan in NY.  Your ride will not be there when you return....that was a solid access that supported a bunch of anglers.  Now gone...making each available access that much more crowded.  Before you know it all of us will be showing up at 1am to get a spot at vets...

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11273 on: Feb 15, 2021, 12:54 PM »
Missing the point....you can show up at the YMCA at 2am now if you want...beat every googan in NY.  Your ride will not be there when you return....that was a solid access that supported a bunch of anglers.  Now gone...making each available access that much more crowded.  Before you know it all of us will be showing up at 1am to get a spot at vets...

I do understand that, just don’t believe withholding info to the “unworthy” is the way to accomplish anything. I love fishing and don't mind helping others to enjoy it more. Not giving them lat/Lon but general depths, baits, etc. I think we all faced the sometimes steep learning curves and can identify some individuals that helped us along the way. Sorry, went off tangent from parking access.... Honestly the town should encourage winter activities since they bring in money, but we all know the politics and well to do folks that don’t like the circus. Maybe we can all throw in on a lot and make a “secret parking lot”. 😉

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #11274 on: Feb 15, 2021, 01:02 PM »
Well, the closing of the MDB parking lot didn't help anything after they paved it with porous pavement. You could put a 1000 care parking lot up there and it would fill.  Face facts, so many people have talked about, posted pictures of, and hyped up the greatness of Lake George that of course every parking spot will be filled by 6am. Now with the explosion of popularity of icefishing combined with the disrespect of today's culture and no wonder private access spots are shut down. Who wants to deal with trash on the ground, people parking where they aren't suppose to, property damaged.  Unfortunately we, as a community, are our own worst enemies.   
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11275 on: Feb 15, 2021, 01:06 PM »
Agree on that point. Picking up trash and considering others when parking would go along way, but might be too late.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11276 on: Feb 15, 2021, 01:11 PM »
That's why I mentioned social media being the problem in a different thread that got locked. We are in the look at me generation.  People are making it too easy for others to creep on spots and parking. Loose lips sink ships...that applies to about everything in life now. My cousins always used to say. Good things always come to an end. Its one thing to show pics to buddies, but  to post on interwebs for thousands to see. Gotta get those likes and follows

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #11277 on: Feb 15, 2021, 01:20 PM »
Before you know it all of us will be showing up at 1am to get a spot at vets...

I can see that. I don't want to ever see it but with all the social media, i see the writing on the wall

Last season I had to get to a "spot" (happy phil ;D) 2.5 hrs before sun up to get a parking spot, comeback and the street is littered with vehicles, half of them barely even off the road. Later in the season guys were just parking on the ice.

It just gets worse and worse every year.

People need to learn discretion and use common sense, Social Media has and will be the demise of many good access spots on all bodies of water, the same access points that up until a few yrs ago, guys used and did not abuse the privilege, it was kept quiet and discreet.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11278 on: Feb 15, 2021, 01:37 PM »
That's why I mentioned social media being the problem in a different thread that got locked. We are in the look at me generation.  People are making it too easy for others to creep on spots and parking. Loose lips sink ships...that applies to about everything in life now. My cousins always used to say. Good things always come to an end. Its one thing to show pics to buddies, but  to post on interwebs for thousands to see. Gotta get those likes and follows
X2! I couldn’t agree more!

Offline reggie1610

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11279 on: Feb 15, 2021, 01:39 PM »
People always seem to say the same thing when others complain about spot sharing destroying things "oh I am just trying to help someone out or I love to fish I do not see the harm in helping someone"

The problem is you aren't just helping someone. You are helping everyone with the internet and not just today, but for as long as that site is available which will likely be a very long time. Go ahead and help your friends get better at fishing or share spots with them if you would like, but just think about all the other people that had fished in a spot and now it is blown up. One of my favorite perch lakes has been mentioned on this site over the past 4 years more and more until last year it was pretty much a zoo out there every day. The fishery has declined every year to where it is today where it has went from my favorite perch place to a place that I do not fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.