New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1347135 times)

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #10050 on: Mar 09, 2019, 03:27 AM »
I think I'm going to give my farewell to LG for the season.  Work this week then headed to myrtle beach Friday for a week.  Its been fun, its been humbling, and its been an adventure.  If I don't see you again till next ice... thank you LG

Great season, awesome lakers.  Have fun.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10051 on: Mar 09, 2019, 05:20 AM »
Spectacular season Allen, congratulations! You’re always setting the high bar with your fish as well as amazing photos!

Have a fun vacation!😃
MK

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10052 on: Mar 09, 2019, 06:22 AM »
Any one been up at Hague? Going up next Friday night . Staying at the Trout House. Just want to know how the ice is
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline DerekF_17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10053 on: Mar 09, 2019, 07:44 AM »
Thanks for the parking tip wec. I got here just before 6 and got the last spot on land.

More importantly, I iced my first ever laker! Shower me with praise

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10054 on: Mar 09, 2019, 08:15 AM »
 :tipup: :thumbsup:
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10055 on: Mar 09, 2019, 08:31 AM »
Any one been up at Hague? Going up next Friday night . Staying at the Trout House. Just want to know how the ice is

Ice directly across from there is usually pretty shady due to bubblers, but I know guys that were fishing there yesterday. 

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #10056 on: Mar 09, 2019, 08:53 AM »
What's the deal with trailer parking and riding machines from MDB? I feel like it was mentioned that the village didnt want sleds in the parking lot... what's a Good spot to park a trailer?
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10057 on: Mar 09, 2019, 08:59 AM »
The sign at the mdb parking lot says no sleds but it shouldn’t be an issue if you use the launch and launch them on the ice like a boat and just park the trailer.  I think they just don’t want guys messing up the parking lot with studs and carbide.  Last weekend only had a hand full of trucks in the lot

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #10058 on: Mar 09, 2019, 09:18 AM »
Seems reasonable, that being the case I could probably use the ATV and make it a non-issue.

Just realizing that I about let another year go by without making it up to LG, motivated to get there tomorrow
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10059 on: Mar 09, 2019, 09:40 AM »
The sign at the mdb parking lot says no sleds but it shouldn’t be an issue if you use the launch and launch them on the ice like a boat and just park the trailer.  I think they just don’t want guys messing up the parking lot with studs and carbide.  Last weekend only had a hand full of trucks in the lot

You are right.  All of that pavement is new.  I remember one year access was tough because they were trying to figure out a path for sleds...

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10060 on: Mar 09, 2019, 03:57 PM »
Thanks for the parking tip wec. I got here just before 6 and got the last spot on land.

Nice Laker.

Fishmon

« Reply #10061 on: Mar 10, 2019, 07:29 AM »
You are right.  All of that pavement is new.  I remember one year access was tough because they were trying to figure out a path for sleds...

That pavement is porous pavement designed to let water/snow melt percolate through it.  It is part of a stormwater program designed to reduce runoff and associated pollutants from getting into lake.  It is susceptible to damage from studded tires, etc.

Offline mazdaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10062 on: Mar 10, 2019, 11:14 AM »

Nice one!!  Your obsession has begun!!  haha

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #10063 on: Mar 10, 2019, 11:18 AM »
Well I'm out here... cant say much else. anyone else brave the weather today?
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline Swinginhammers_and_fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10064 on: Mar 10, 2019, 03:02 PM »
I think there definitely is an afternoon bite. Also tend to get bigger fish just before it ends. Unfortunately looks like the trout have moved back into Huddle Bay. I got a just legal one on first drop Tuesday and for next couple hours it was tough to get perch to rise off bottom. The access ice bridge is getting eaten away by warm water from the bubblers

This. 
I had the same experience of fish chasing my lure all the way up yesterday on the flasher-and fast.  Definitely lakers.  We only managed like a dozen keepers (perch).  Size just wasn’t there yesterday-bite was slower too. 
Can anyone speak on what’s typical for late season bite as far as perch go?
Thanks

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #10065 on: Mar 10, 2019, 07:09 PM »
 Derekf17 congratulations on catching your first lake trout ice fishing. :clap: :clap: May it be the first of many you pull through the ice on Lake George.

Fish Market thanks for sharing your photos congratulations also to you on a good season. :clap: :clap:

Steve

Offline Justinrc21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10066 on: Mar 10, 2019, 07:41 PM »
This question may be asking too much, but let me give it a shot. To everyone:
If you were going to spend only one day on the lake, late ice season, with the lakers being pressured pretty heavily, where would you fish? Not looking for honey holes, just a new spot to check out on probably our last trip of the season. Thanks in advance. PM’s are much appreciated. Looking to get this guy hooked up with a few good lakers to keep his fire fueled.

'For those who have defended it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know' ~Unknown~

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10067 on: Mar 11, 2019, 06:14 AM »
Drove all over the lake yesterday and hit a milk run of spots that normally produce.  It was slow.  I can't recommend any one spot personally.

Offline njg0621

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10068 on: Mar 11, 2019, 08:43 AM »
This question may be asking too much, but let me give it a shot. To everyone:
If you were going to spend only one day on the lake, late ice season, with the lakers being pressured pretty heavily, where would you fish? Not looking for honey holes, just a new spot to check out on probably our last trip of the season. Thanks in advance. PM’s are much appreciated. Looking to get this guy hooked up with a few good lakers to keep his fire fueled.

I've yet to find anywhere that doesn't hold lakers in 60-90ft to be honest.  They are everywhere... Getting them to bite is the tricky part!

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10069 on: Mar 11, 2019, 09:53 AM »
Drove all over the lake yesterday and hit a milk run of spots that normally produce.  It was slow.  I can't recommend any one spot personally.

Glad we weren't alone.  Saturday we hauled the gear over to Phelps Island, was a good work out on foot, thinking that the drop off near there would be good fishing.  Couldn't have been more wrong.  Got a few chasers but nothing to commit.  Around noon we found a depression at about 35 feet and hammered on the perch which at least got the skunk off, most were over 10 inches as well but they all went back in.  The next few hours we worked our way back to the launch and decided to make the drive home around 3.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10070 on: Mar 11, 2019, 10:36 AM »
The fish everywhere comment is accurate.  Seems to me the bait isn't as grouped up where it was most of the winter.  Finding a school to ding 15-25 lakers has become a challenge. 

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10071 on: Mar 11, 2019, 12:57 PM »
Anyone know why so many planes were flying around LG on Saturday.  I saw a handful of small planes flying really low around the lake, like feet from touching down.  Is this normal on nice days or was there something going on?
westernmas on the finder

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10072 on: Mar 11, 2019, 01:44 PM »
Anyone know why so many planes were flying around LG on Saturday.  I saw a handful of small planes flying really low around the lake, like feet from touching down.  Is this normal on nice days or was there something going on?

I think it must of been that it was so nice out.  I fished up North on Indian Lake, and there were a few up their on Saturday also.

Offline DerekF_17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10073 on: Mar 11, 2019, 02:52 PM »
Yeah those planes were insane.  I had one buzz by about 20 feet off the ice, only maybe 50 feet to the side of me.  I could have hit it with a snowball had I tried.  Didn't seem safe at all.  And there were several planes doing it.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10074 on: Mar 11, 2019, 03:05 PM »
It’s fine to fly a plane low and land on the ice. But I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to fly over people under 500 feet. I could be wrong. Lots of guys to practice lands and take offs on the ice. You see it in the gsl almost every weekend. I see guys buzzing sand island all summer and i don’t think they realize how many people fly drones now. If I was flying a plane  I’d keep it above 500 feet and out of the way of drones. I have personally seen a drone and a plane within a few hundred feet at the same altitude.

Offline Justinrc21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10075 on: Mar 12, 2019, 12:16 PM »
@lowaccord66 and @njg0621 thank you for your help. That’s what I’ve been seeing as well. I thought perhaps it was the pressure keeping the fish from striking. Perhaps a better question is this: Will the ice still be safe this weekend into the beginning of next week... my son wants another laker but we may have lost the hardwater opportunity with the warm weather coming. Thoughts?
'For those who have defended it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know' ~Unknown~

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #10076 on: Mar 12, 2019, 12:29 PM »
@lowaccord66 and @njg0621 thank you for your help. That’s what I’ve been seeing as well. I thought perhaps it was the pressure keeping the fish from striking. Perhaps a better question is this: Will the ice still be safe this weekend into the beginning of next week... my son wants another laker but we may have lost the hardwater opportunity with the warm weather coming. Thoughts?
[/quoting

If you can get passed any blown edges you will be ok. Be careful that edges dont get worse while your fishing. Gone be standing water on ice most likely as well if it warms up alot.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Bassmaster16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10077 on: Mar 12, 2019, 01:54 PM »
Went out off hearthstone yesterday in the windpit. question i have is one of the lakers i caught was covered in these light brown invertebrates. they were a clearish brown color. Shaped like a v. where they were attached split into what looked like 2 tails. there were over 20 stuck on it. wondering what it could be or if anyone has seen this? i didn't have my phone so i couldn't take a picture

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #10078 on: Mar 12, 2019, 02:38 PM »

Grey Tahoe doing about 40mph up the lake? I could hear the bass pumping over my own music in the shanty lol
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10079 on: Mar 12, 2019, 03:02 PM »
Hahaha doesn’t sound like something we would do 😔

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.