New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346965 times)

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #7590 on: Dec 29, 2017, 12:23 PM »
Folks actually made it out far enough to get into perch on Harris?  Wow I was thinking tomorrow at the earliest
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #7591 on: Dec 29, 2017, 02:12 PM »
Hopefully everyone out there used their heads and spud bars.  The bays didn’t exactly freeze instantly and at the same time. 

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7592 on: Dec 29, 2017, 04:24 PM »
Dang.. you couldn’t pay me walk on that ice right there.

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7593 on: Dec 29, 2017, 04:45 PM »
Drove the lake from the village to the hague beach today. From the north heading south, the first sign of ice was at the look out point at the north side of the tongue mountain hill. The middle of the lake had snow all over it but the shorelines were not even close to being buttoned up and looked like open water. From there heading south the inner corner of northwest bay had frozen but i have no measurements of thickness so be CAREFUL!... the algonquin was frozen over a bit in huddle bay and looked good, but again no ice measurements to report so be CAREFUL.. from there, the lake was open to the village and ice was forming right in the village but nothing to strap on any confidence to head out.. closest thing to fishable looking ice was huddle bay and northwest bay.. Heading to Brant lake tomorrow to give it hell I'm told 6-8" of ice .. Not sure where to fish exactly but i'll be alone with my blue Shapell sled/shanty come say hi..names Steve.
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7594 on: Dec 29, 2017, 05:21 PM »
 Very sceptical about huddle as it was sheeting around 1030 yesterday morning at Bixby. There were open areas that were sheeting at huddle bay road as well.  This was all before the wind picked up. Me myself, wouldn't trust it yet.

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7595 on: Dec 29, 2017, 05:25 PM »
Id like to post ice thickness conditions but im hesitant about it. I dont want to be that guy.  All I will say is we used our brains despite them being frozen :woot: spud spud spud! The newly formed ice from a couple nights ago was all consistant but we still did not take our guard down as we threw the spud every few steps. This was NOT the main lake for anyone planning on going up in the morning. Please be safe guys use your heads.

Offline jxh25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7596 on: Dec 29, 2017, 06:08 PM »
Nice!!   Hope "arctic waves" are  bring more  inches of ice in this year,   and freeze Bubblers.

Be safe!!

Try fishing those open bubblers with open water rods 😉

Offline ironjay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7597 on: Dec 29, 2017, 06:45 PM »
Don’t be crazy. It will happen soon enough. Fingers crossed. Be careful.

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7598 on: Dec 30, 2017, 02:15 PM »
Awfully quiet here

Offline fishhuntkill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7599 on: Dec 30, 2017, 04:46 PM »
Who went out today?!?! Wish I did had to work 😔 I want to go out tomorrow but want to know the thickness before I travel 45 mins up there

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7600 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:30 PM »
Lake George is one of the best lakes around to ice fish and it is also one of the most dangerous. It is just starting to ice up but even when the King has a ton of ice there are always open areas from the islands, springs, and pressure ridges( not to mention the ice eaters). I have seen 20 inches of ice open up in minutes with some of those pressure ridges so no matter what any one puts on this site you have to be prepared for the worse. No body who has a lot of experience with that lake is going to tell you its safe.

Offline Toyotaguy 1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7601 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:38 PM »
Very well put chase 88 . I also fished today .great day to be on the king .

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7602 on: Dec 30, 2017, 06:00 PM »
Well put chase88.  I’m heading to lg tomorrow (a spot I’ll be shocked if we see more than one or two other trucks this time of year). If it’s safe we’ll fish. If it’s not we’ll call it a day.
If you’re not willing to drive an hour to find out where you want to fish isn’t safe you should probably quit thinking you’re going to get in on early ice action. 
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7603 on: Dec 31, 2017, 07:05 AM »
Are there any ice updates?  Any idea on thickness on huddle, vets memorial beach etc?  I know it been cold but we have had some wind to go along with it too up until a few days ago.

Offline Fishmagnet2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7604 on: Dec 31, 2017, 12:45 PM »
Any new updates on ice conditions?

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #7605 on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:24 PM »
3"-4" on Harris Bay but still be careful and if you venture out use a spud, like Chase88 said Lake George can be very dangerous. If you're parking on the side of the road make sure you're not on the road and off to the side. (Saw some guys parked over the white line and sticking out in the road and you can get a ticket). By the way we did pretty good for our first time out on LG this year ;D.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7606 on: Dec 31, 2017, 02:16 PM »
Out of curiosity, how did you get that measurement? 🤔

Offline TJM781

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7607 on: Dec 31, 2017, 03:18 PM »
Hi all,
I have the opportunity to do quite a bit of fishing this winter. I've never ice fished LG before and live about an hour and fifteen minutes away. Here's my idea for your consideration.
I want to put up a 16x8 ish shanty with small wood stove and leave it for 5-6weeks somewhere I can leave a vehicle parked from Sat - Monday or Tuesday night. So fairly accessible and on decent perch water would the ideal spot. This would more or less just serve as a camp and starting point, I want to spend most of the time learning to laker fish.I was thinking off MDB maybe? I was also wondering about just setting up on diamond island? Although I'm not sure how ice holds up out there. I'd like to be set up in 2 weeks. Give me idea's or tell me why I'm stupid!!!

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7608 on: Dec 31, 2017, 03:57 PM »
^ Pretty sure Diamond Island is off limits for overnight camping, if that's what you mean.

You could probably park at MDB, Hearthstone or Veterans without a problem.

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #7609 on: Dec 31, 2017, 04:53 PM »
Out of curiosity, how did you get that measurement? 🤔
I have an ice scooper with measurements
on it.

Offline Hardwaterlipn147

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7610 on: Dec 31, 2017, 06:56 PM »
Anyone know ice condition around fourteen mile island?
weekend hooker!

Offline blt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7611 on: Jan 01, 2018, 11:40 AM »
Still open water.  Narrows appears to have skim over it.  In northwest bay the ice let loose and opened back up to green island. 

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7612 on: Jan 01, 2018, 11:42 AM »
Pilots knob/ Phelps island/ dome island still wide open?

Offline blt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7613 on: Jan 01, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Yes, still could troll the main lake.  Wind is taking it to the fish ice.  There in the morning and gone by the afternoon.

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #7614 on: Jan 01, 2018, 04:13 PM »
Just watched the polar plunge on the news and it looked pretty locked up at MDB but no report on thickness.

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7615 on: Jan 01, 2018, 04:44 PM »
Drove around the south end today. Quite a few guys out at MDB and a ton of guys at Harris. Few guys off of huddle and nobody at vets but some trails out into the bay where they have been fishing but still open water out past the bay.

Offline PSC13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7616 on: Jan 01, 2018, 08:28 PM »
I was 1 of 4 guys out on vets this morning caught 2 nice perch as the sun was coming up and then they shut off and couldn't get another bite all morning?? Had 5 inches of ice in the bay

Offline Shimek34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7617 on: Jan 01, 2018, 11:14 PM »
Newbie here and taking a trip up this week.  Was planning on Winter camping at the shelter off Northwest Bay.  Any safe ice spots near there or places to make sure to avoid.  Either in the bay or the other side of the peninsula near Five Mile Pt.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline hairbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7618 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:01 AM »
Newbie here and taking a trip up this week.  Was planning on Winter camping at the shelter off Northwest Bay.  Any safe ice spots near there or places to make sure to avoid.  Either in the bay or the other side of the peninsula near Five Mile Pt.  Any help would be appreciated.

Hot meal and warm room in the village is a better bet with these temps

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7619 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:33 AM »
Winter camping sounds terrible.  -15 last night.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.