New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346859 times)

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #5580 on: Mar 10, 2015, 07:43 PM »
tonight is going to do wonders to the access points on the lake that have bubbles. Its a mild 36* out tonight and back up near 50 tomorrow. When I got off the lake around 4pm, it was pretty sloppy out there. We are going to lose some access by the time the weekend comes around.

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5581 on: Mar 10, 2015, 08:48 PM »
Thursday night is going to be 5 degrees should be interesting to see what the slop does. Could be real bad in spots walking and falling through a crusted 1 inch and falling into a foot of slush.

Offline Berkley4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5582 on: Mar 10, 2015, 09:03 PM »
should be a great test for my new Striker climate bibs and Irish Setter rut masters

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5583 on: Mar 10, 2015, 09:36 PM »
tonight is going to do wonders to the access points on the lake that have bubbles. Its a mild 36* out tonight and back up near 50 tomorrow. When I got off the lake around 4pm, it was pretty sloppy out there. We are going to lose some access by the time the weekend comes around.
Ahhhhhh don't tell me that. I've been trying to get up there all winter! I have a motel booked and everything!
Pete

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #5584 on: Mar 10, 2015, 10:15 PM »
Do you still ride a horse to work and use whale oil lamps for light too??? ;D

Haha.  I wish I had a horse.  Then maybe I wouldn't be in slush up to my knees. And yah it may take me a little while to drill a hole but I get the job done.  And I can always rely on my old hand auger.. it always starts first pull and never ran outta gas in 8 years.. 

Offline striperman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5585 on: Mar 11, 2015, 03:10 AM »
Heading up to vets this morning so hope its not to bad with the slush and the access is ok.
It's not how deep you fish,
Its how you wiggle your worm

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5586 on: Mar 11, 2015, 05:15 AM »
And I can always rely on my old hand auger.. it always starts first pull and never ran outta gas in 8 years..
I hear ya on that, never have to worry about them startin!! Still lookin into building an electric drill auger for next year. Getting to old and stiff to cut too many holes. Shoulders and back hurt for 2 days.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline 2sammich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5587 on: Mar 11, 2015, 05:52 AM »
You will all do the cycle...spud bar to hand auger to power auger....my hand auger did'nt run out of gas either, I did.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5588 on: Mar 11, 2015, 06:37 AM »
You will all do the cycle...spud bar to hand auger to power auger....my hand auger did'nt run out of gas either, I did.

That's funny, I went totally the other way. Started with a spud bar, went to a blue mora then a gas auger and finally a 6" nils for the last 5 seasons.
I will never go back to a power auger. I can cut as many holes as I desire with the nils. It just seemed like MORE work lugging a power auger then a compact GOOD hand auger.

Offline Izayah12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5589 on: Mar 11, 2015, 07:47 AM »
Do you think the access at vets will hold untill sunday?
Lines tight and flags up

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [img]http://i58tinypic.com/2n/c5jc.png[/img]
« Reply #5590 on: Mar 11, 2015, 08:27 AM »
 ;D
Whoops someone is angry they aren't getting the daily reports.... ::)
;D  Actually he forgot his prune juice this morning!

Eagle Ed

Offline krazjon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5591 on: Mar 11, 2015, 08:56 AM »
Huddle wasn't too bad this morning. Mild slush. Although our "spot" has been over run. Empty when I got here at 6 and now seems like 15 people surrounding us with power augers drilling nonstop holes for hours now. :/ biting stopped when the augers started.
Jon Arnold

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5592 on: Mar 11, 2015, 09:42 AM »
That's funny, I went totally the other way. Started with a spud bar, went to a blue mora then a gas auger and finally a 6" nils for the last 5 seasons.
I will never go back to a power auger. I can cut as many holes as I desire with the nils. It just seemed like MORE work lugging a power auger then a compact GOOD hand auger.
I did the same thing. Old Blue Mora to a big gas auger that I used for one season. I tried a Finbore and vowed to never touch a power auger again. I had a machine to haul it when I decided to sell my gas auger, but everything about it annoyed the heck out of me. Weight, noise, smell.
Different strokes for different folks, but I'll crank by hand until I can't fish anymore or we start getting seasons with 30"+ on LG.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5593 on: Mar 11, 2015, 09:50 AM »
I did the same thing. Old Blue Mora to a big gas auger that I used for one season. I tried a Finbore and vowed to never touch a power auger again. I had a machine to haul it when I decided to sell my gas auger, but everything about it annoyed the heck out of me. Weight, noise, smell.
Different strokes for different folks, but I'll crank by hand until I can't fish anymore or we start getting seasons with 30"+ on LG.

x3

I bought a used Jiffy and hated it. 6 inch nils all the way  ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5594 on: Mar 11, 2015, 10:00 AM »
8" nils with powerhead all the way! 

Offline tree-on

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5595 on: Mar 11, 2015, 11:31 AM »
My 8" blue Mora ran out of gas this past weekend ;D. It is much better with the Swedish blades, but after 13-14 inches its a chore. Question for the laker guys, any issues with a 6" hole? Was thinking of getting a 6" fin bore or lazer.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #5596 on: Mar 11, 2015, 11:34 AM »
My 8" blue Mora ran out of gas this past weekend ;D. It is much better with the Swedish blades, but after 13-14 inches its a chore. Question for the laker guys, any issues with a 6" hole? Was thinking of getting a 6" fin bore or lazer.

I used my 6 in nils last year when I didn't have a power auger and the ice was thick.

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5597 on: Mar 11, 2015, 11:44 AM »
gonna try Bixby rd in am    be walking.   how's it holding??

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5598 on: Mar 11, 2015, 12:50 PM »
You can get a pretty big laker through a 6" hole. Tougher to get them to the hole, but once they're in they can't turn around on you.  ;D 8" is pretty standard though.
Pete

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5599 on: Mar 11, 2015, 12:54 PM »
A 30" laker can fit through a 6" pretty easily. If you stick a horse though, that's another story.
Pete

Offline krazjon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5600 on: Mar 11, 2015, 02:18 PM »
gonna try Bixby rd in am    be walking.   how's it holding??

I was just told its worse than bay rd. I left bay on an ATV and it looked bad for an ATV but people were traveling without an issue. Starting to get slushy but not too bad. Definitely an easier walk with all the snow gone
Jon Arnold

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5601 on: Mar 11, 2015, 02:45 PM »
Really getting slushy this afternoon. Hard south wind blowing doesn't help.  Like somebody already said, gonna be interesting friday, calling for -1 overnight Thursday in LG.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5602 on: Mar 11, 2015, 04:08 PM »
I will be going out Friday with the Wheeler but if the short is gone I will have my canoe with me too that should help me get out on good ice :) ;)

Offline Berkley4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5603 on: Mar 11, 2015, 04:26 PM »
Ill be headong out Friday with the snowmobile as well.

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5604 on: Mar 11, 2015, 05:01 PM »
Kind of late to the auger discussion, I have the ION and love it.  If I were to go with gas I'd get the Nils/Tanaka combo.  I tried the offset hand augers like Nils, I just can't do it.  I start cutting an oblong hole and that's the end of the blades.
I love clipboard man

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5605 on: Mar 12, 2015, 01:41 PM »
Creepers are now a must in (at least most of) the bays.  Zero snow, it's down to glare ice.    I didn't think it would freeze back up as fast as it did so I duck walked the morning.  Looked to be some packed snow out on the main lake, don't know if it was slushy or anything.
I love clipboard man

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5606 on: Mar 12, 2015, 01:52 PM »
Creepers are now a must in (at least most of) the bays.  Zero snow, it's down to glare ice.    I didn't think it would freeze back up as fast as it did so I duck walked the morning.  Looked to be some packed snow out on the main lake, don't know if it was slushy or anything.
What a welcomed report man! I'll gladly get the cleats back out.
Stack em up while you can fellas!
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5607 on: Mar 12, 2015, 02:15 PM »
You guys think the shore will hold up this weekend? I'd like to access at Hague
Pete

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5608 on: Mar 12, 2015, 02:42 PM »

Sweet I can now.manually pull my otter without causing a vets traffic jam!  Ha!

Offline snowlt14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5609 on: Mar 12, 2015, 10:28 PM »
Myself and striperLund fished off of Bixby road Wednesday afternoon. It was our first time fishing LG besides down in the village. We set up straight out from the access road in 40-50ft of water. We fished the afternoon with nothing to show for it. I'm figuring we were in the wrong spot since nobody was around us and the flasher showed a pretty much flat bottom. We set a couple of tip ups out and bounced the bottom as well for lakers but nothing. Does anybody have any suggestions for this area, we were thinking of possibly going back up next week. A pm would be appreciated.

The access when we left was pretty wet, we all had to climb up on the rocks and back down on the ice and walk out between the pressure ridge and bubblers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.