New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1347128 times)

Offline gauglerb

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #5250 on: Feb 18, 2015, 01:53 PM »
Anyone been on the lake the last two days?  Wondering how much snow is currently on the ice. 

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5251 on: Feb 18, 2015, 02:15 PM »
So how can I get involved bringing more Salmon into the lake?  after hearing that only 35,000 fish are stocked annually it sounds to me like that number should be bigger.  Is there anything we can do? 

I was reading stocking reports for several states of many species of fish and 35,000 just doesn't seem like much to me. Is the DEC broke?  Wouldn't more fingerlings help?  1.3 fish stocked per acre as of now  :-\

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #5252 on: Feb 18, 2015, 02:19 PM »
So how can I get involved bringing more Salmon into the lake?  after hearing that only 35,000 fish are stocked annually it sounds to me like that number should be bigger.  Is there anything we can do? 

I was reading stocking reports for several states of many species of fish and 35,000 just doesn't seem like much to me. Is the DEC broke?  Wouldn't more fingerlings help?  1.3 fish stocked per acre as of now  :-\

low?   you want low, look how many lake trout they stock...   

They used to stock way more salmon, but they weren't getting any return, plus who the heck wants another put and take salmon fishery?   the whole point is to returning them to a naturally reproducing population.

Offline Icefishin Wizz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lurker for Life
« Reply #5253 on: Feb 18, 2015, 02:30 PM »
Maybe I will get alot of flak for this but why would anyone want to do anything that may jepordize the fishery.As it stands we are very fortunate to have such lake trout fishing in LG.Yes the salmon stocking has some issues but why would you want to dumb millions of walleye in there.Do you think that there isn't going to be any consequences to the other species already there?I am not a biologist and I surely don't think I have the answers but when we already have a great fishery why the need to "make" it better?

Ditto

Offline FirstLightBestBite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5254 on: Feb 18, 2015, 02:35 PM »
Size is a bigger factor than stocking number. What do you think a fingerling Salmon becomes? Laker food, hence the very healthy lake trout population. Same thing happened in LG back in the late 1800s with trout stocking leading to really large Northern Pike
I'd rather be fishing

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5255 on: Feb 18, 2015, 03:14 PM »
low?   you want low, look how many lake trout they stock...   

They used to stock way more salmon, but they weren't getting any return, plus who the heck wants another put and take salmon fishery?   the whole point is to returning them to a naturally reproducing population.

I should stop talking, this is a "bS" thread though. Just killing time.. :)

My first year living here I met a guy walking by westbrook as I was checking out the creek for the first time and he told me the trick to the Salmon back in the 80's was to get a treble hook half the size of your palm and some 50# test and yank em out of the creek.  He said it was crucial to wait until Deer season opened so the game wardens were all busy..

I was like DUUUUDE you should get a paddle and put some nails in it for that..

What I would give to fish back before the US was settled...

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5256 on: Feb 18, 2015, 03:26 PM »

The salmon that are stocked in LG are not fingerlings or fry. They are anywhere from 4-8 inches long when stocked, and if they hold some in the hatchery till fall, they are bigger still.
The problem is, fish are kinda like dogs, the bigger they are, the more it costs to feed and care for them.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5257 on: Feb 18, 2015, 03:32 PM »
Is the hill at hearthstone drivable down and back up ? Thanks
Depends on what your drivin!!!
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5258 on: Feb 18, 2015, 03:33 PM »
I should stop talking, this is a "bS" thread though. Just killing time.. :)

My first year living here I met a guy walking by westbrook as I was checking out the creek for the first time and he told me the trick to the Salmon back in the 80's was to get a treble hook half the size of your palm and some 50# test and yank em out of the creek.  He said it was crucial to wait until Deer season opened so the game wardens were all busy..

I was like DUUUUDE you should get a paddle and put some nails in it for that..

What I would give to fish back before the US was settled...

...........and all that other "pre-settlement" fun stuff back then like trying not to get scalped by the locals for fishing "their" water, living in earthen mud huts, smallpox, etc.! LOL!  ;D

Offline adktony

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5259 on: Feb 18, 2015, 03:42 PM »
Well I do have a pretty sweet jigstick

I never claimed anything about Waldo's doing better in LG nor do I think I know anything about fish biology. Especially compared to some of the guys in this thread.  It just seems pointless to stock fish that only a handful of guys catch every year  (maybe I'm wrong and nobody talks about catching one)save the money and make launching fees lower or free..

Maybe stocking Waldo's is a dumb idea and it would take several million fingerlings just to get going..  It would be pretty awesome to camp on an island and catch dinner though..

FTR non fish biologist here..
Hey that looks familiar :woot:

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5260 on: Feb 18, 2015, 04:03 PM »
trout addict if you fished many years ago on this lake you would realize that the numbers have gone downhill. They are in there sure, but used to be able to get 4-10 in a typical trip all good size 17-25" fish typically. A few 7-9 pounders here and there. No mystery to catching them really just typical clear water issues (flouro and small hooks). Used to hammer them on dodgers and flies. They are just few and far between now days it seems.

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5261 on: Feb 18, 2015, 04:19 PM »
Anyone heard of any quads running around Huddle Bay?? Gonna try Monday. thanks

Offline imoutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5262 on: Feb 18, 2015, 05:41 PM »
Do you guys really believe DEC puts in that many Salmon!  You need to stop drinking the Coolaid.   Just saying.and yes I caught a nice 21 in  salmon this year.

JJ

« Reply #5263 on: Feb 18, 2015, 06:11 PM »
I have no reason to doubt the numbers, I've seen them. It's 37,000 salmon total: in the Spring 34,000, Fall (held at Warren Cty Hatchery) 3,000; split evenly between the North & South basins. Most are 6-8" in the Spring, 12-14" in the Fall.

2006 was the first year we, the LGFA, stocked them by boat in many years in an effort to increase their numbers. I asked DEC if we could do it and organized the boats; we have done it every year since. Here I am in Hague that year:

2014, some of the biggest ones I remember seeing:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5264 on: Feb 18, 2015, 06:20 PM »
Tasty Koolaid.  That is all!   :tipup: 

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5265 on: Feb 18, 2015, 07:07 PM »
Wow man! Thanks JJ!
For the information AND doing what you do.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline riverat24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5266 on: Feb 18, 2015, 07:17 PM »
So do you think these would beat the slush....now if the ice is thick enough ???

http://trucktracks.com/en/media/action-videos/

These Track n go treads look awesome but pricey $25K I think

Offline daytondedrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5267 on: Feb 18, 2015, 08:20 PM »
OK but I still want one of these!

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5268 on: Feb 18, 2015, 08:33 PM »
Anyone heard of any quads running around Huddle Bay?? Gonna try Monday. thanks
I went out today, not in huddle, but did see wheelers out. Oh, no slush either. :whistle:

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #5269 on: Feb 18, 2015, 08:40 PM »
Those are great pictures Captain JJ.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5270 on: Feb 18, 2015, 09:53 PM »
I was out on huddle bay monday. There is deep snow out there (if you break through) and some area's have alot of slush still. Not a single quad track out there.

I would not take a quad on huddle. You will get stuck. Some of the snow drifts are up to your knee's if you break through the crust...which a quad will do.

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5271 on: Feb 18, 2015, 10:20 PM »
How's the pressure crack out of vets?

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5272 on: Feb 19, 2015, 06:43 AM »
I went out today, not in huddle, but did see wheelers out. Oh, no slush either. :whistle:
I'm not saying it's the same elsewhere. I just picked a spot where the wind blew most of the snow off and the slush froze.

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5273 on: Feb 19, 2015, 07:21 AM »
kool silver fish

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5274 on: Feb 19, 2015, 09:12 AM »
Thanks for some of the condition reports guys.  I appreciate it.  Now we just need a little melt off and re-freeze to stay on top.  I'd rather drill through more ice than deal with all the snow.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline Icelife4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit the b***hin and start fishin
« Reply #5275 on: Feb 19, 2015, 10:34 AM »
Anyone ever do well with lakers on harris bay??? Going out tomorrow and I want perch and my buddy wants lakers

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5276 on: Feb 19, 2015, 10:51 AM »
Anyone ever do well with lakers on harris bay??? Going out tomorrow and I want perch and my buddy wants lakers
You might not put up big numbers of fish, but you should be able to get 1 or 2 if you soak suckers on tipups all day.

The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5277 on: Feb 19, 2015, 11:14 AM »
Hey that looks familiar :woot:
I was wondering when you were gonna chime in!!!

Offline Berkley4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5278 on: Feb 19, 2015, 11:18 AM »
Heres a pic from salmon released in June

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5279 on: Feb 19, 2015, 01:09 PM »
That's a cool photo Berkley
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum