The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: OT Maple Taps  (Read 155933 times)

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: OT Maple Taps
« Reply #600 on: Feb 14, 2013, 10:01 PM »
I'm just glad we got tracks on the Farmall H, looks like there may be some snow in the woods this spring! It's gotta be better than last spring...

Offline blackduckin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Beau dogg!
« Reply #601 on: Feb 20, 2013, 04:41 PM »
It hasd started in Southern Maine boyz...  My nephew has about 60 gallons collected already... first boil coming soon..

What if the "Hokey Pokey" is really what its all about??

Offline cmstearns

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #602 on: Feb 20, 2013, 04:51 PM »
i have taps out and 5 gallons of sap more to come ;D
My favorite quote.. if guns kill people, then spoons made me fat.

Offline Bowdoin Boy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #603 on: Feb 20, 2013, 05:52 PM »
I'm curios why this post which has nothing to do with ice fishing never gets moved,but any other post gets moved quickly ??? :o :nono:

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #604 on: Feb 20, 2013, 05:54 PM »
Off topic, and we are assembling sap sack holders in the basement now, getting ready!

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #605 on: Feb 20, 2013, 06:26 PM »
Wow...you guys are already getting sap huh?  Well over here in Wisconsin yesterday's high was 3 deg.  I'm thinking march now for tapping!

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #606 on: Feb 20, 2013, 07:58 PM »
We always get a run or 2 in Feb, then it freezes back up for 2 weeks the we start to sugar, old timers tap out town meeting day.....

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline dvn4flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #607 on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:24 PM »
You know when you see the Maple Taps post come up that the best part of the ice fishing season is upon us, hanging out on the lake in a sweatshirt jigging up fish, dozing in a chair by the shack and soaking up the sun with no gloves on, being able invite some folks out fishing and not have to huddle up in the shack like sardines.  It also reminds me that I need to get my butt in gear, clean up all my sugaring equipment and re-weld the smokepipe on my evaporator that broke off about 6 months ago , clean out all the crap I've stuffed in my makeshift sugar shack and start tapping some trees.

Offline alpha bite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #608 on: Feb 21, 2013, 04:21 AM »
I'm curios why this post which has nothing to do with ice fishing never gets moved,but any other post gets moved quickly ??? :o :nono:
Cause fresh syrup goes good on fish.
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. –Koos Brandt

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #609 on: Feb 21, 2013, 04:33 AM »
Wahhhh @)
How they biten

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #610 on: Feb 21, 2013, 06:12 AM »

Come On Man!!!
After 31 pages, 610 replies and nearly 20,000 views on this topic, you have to ask?
I would say that obviously this "off topic" has shown tremendous interest from the ice fishing community each and every year. Most of the people on here respond to the anticipated start of the maple syrup season with great enthusiasm.

Offline barkspud

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Real fisherman take children fishing
« Reply #611 on: Feb 21, 2013, 06:59 AM »
We sure do dennis .. the kids are bugging me to maybe make some this year.  Been walking the wifes property looking for tapable tree's.  Whats the smallest tree's we can tap guys?
DUDE THAT'S A NICE FISH CAN I USE IT FOR BAIT?     

Fish stories limited too 40'' or 40 minutes wich ever comes first.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #612 on: Feb 21, 2013, 07:41 AM »
TAKE A  2 INCH MAPLE
BEND THE TOP DOWN NEAR THE GROUND AND TIE IT THERE
CUT OFF THE TOP AND PUT A BUCKET UNDER IT !

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #613 on: Feb 21, 2013, 08:39 AM »
Tapping this weekend, 1,200 (ish) taps, been cutting in tees at night all week.  New pump, New 3x12 D&G Natural gas fired rig, New sugarhouse.  Weather looks good from Friday on.  Bring it.  Who needs sleep?

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #614 on: Feb 21, 2013, 08:47 AM »
A bribe of pure maple syrup.  :whistle: >:D :bow:

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #615 on: Feb 21, 2013, 09:13 AM »

A bribe of pure maple syrup.  :whistle: >:D :bow:

2 pints each season we let the thread run   :clap:  :P

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #616 on: Feb 21, 2013, 10:30 AM »

Guessing maybe one of those guys always picked last on the baseball team when younger ??? :o ;D

Offline Bowdoin Boy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #617 on: Feb 21, 2013, 10:35 AM »
Guessing maybe one of those guys always picked last on the baseball team when younger ??? :o ;D
What the H**ll is BasketBall?? NO i spent every waking moment in the woods & on the water were real Men Play  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #618 on: Feb 21, 2013, 10:42 AM »
What the H**ll is BasketBall?? NO i spent every waking moment in the woods & on the water were real Men Play :roflmao: :roflmao:

Well then, I would have thought you to be most familiar with something equally near and dear to Maine's heritage as maple sugaring. @)

Offline Bowdoin Boy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #619 on: Feb 21, 2013, 10:46 AM »
Well then, I would have thought you to be most familiar with something equally near and dear to Maine's heritage as maple sugaring. @)
I love Maple syrup .but i don't understand why this thread was never pulled when every other OT thread gets moved?? I don't care one way or the other.Just curios??????

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #620 on: Feb 21, 2013, 11:20 AM »
I love Maple syrup .but i don't understand why this thread was never pulled when every other OT thread gets moved?? I don't care one way or the other.Just curios??????

Let it be known that this thread HAS been moved quite a number of times, but it always seems to find it's way back home......kind of like a lost dog  @)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #621 on: Feb 21, 2013, 11:39 AM »

I believe its you that asks this same question every single year, wouldn't it be great if we could just leave it alone and have some fun with it ???  It only stays up "in season" and then it disappears, thank you. :)

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #622 on: Feb 21, 2013, 07:21 PM »
We sure do dennis .. the kids are bugging me to maybe make some this year.  Been walking the wifes property looking for tapable tree's.  Whats the smallest tree's we can tap guys?
10-12 inch tree in diameter is about the smallest ill drill one into, but save them for a last resort. Look at the crowns of the tree,the bigger the crown the more sap, the more sun they get the better to, trees on a South facing edge will give u more sap than the same tree in a dense patch of woods.  @)
How they biten

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #623 on: Feb 22, 2013, 06:02 PM »
Went up to the Family Farm in Starks today....sap is runnin' up there!!!  :thumbsup: :P

Offline AT Grimaldi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why does my 13 yr old always out fish me?
« Reply #624 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:07 PM »
Ok.  I have to ask, am I nuts for wanti g to try this in RI?

I am dying to try it with the kids.  Very modest property here and will do a maple survey soon to see what my real prospects for the season.
Vintage Frabill Ice Shuttle with modifications
K-Drill with M18 Milwaukee Drill
Jack Traps rule the world of hardwater!
Marcum LX-7LI Lithium Combo Sonar System
ATG Custom Smelt Jigging Boards
ATG Custom Jigs
Arctic Armor Suit
Mr. Buddy
Shappell 3000
.....and no time.

Offline moxiedog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #625 on: Feb 25, 2013, 11:11 PM »
Put out some taps today. Some were running better than others but they were running.
Gotta keep doing something even if it is wrong!
-The cure is fishing, not thinking about fishing-

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #626 on: Feb 26, 2013, 04:38 AM »
Put out some taps today. Some were running better than others but they were running.

I definitely think there is sap to be had this week, albeit a modest run, I've just been to lazy to waddle through the snow.  ;D  I did go to Bacon Farms in Sidney Sat. for a few things and started grabbing all the equipment so getting close to making a move. @)  They were actually doing a small boil surprisingly.

Offline Westerly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formerly bbpinecone
« Reply #627 on: Feb 26, 2013, 10:10 AM »
I've been dragging my heels a little too but I finally had time to wash the buckets last night and hung a half dozen or so this morning.  Sap was dripping in all of them.  Might need to get the snowshoes out and get the rest in this weekend. 

Offline Keychain

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Don't yell FLAG, yell KEYCHAIN!!!
« Reply #628 on: Feb 28, 2013, 12:27 PM »
Put out one test tap on Sunday.  When I checked it Monday night, dry as a bone.  But when I checked it last night there was about a half gallon there.  Just need to find the time to start drilling and tapping now...

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #629 on: Feb 28, 2013, 12:48 PM »
Put out one test tap on Sunday.  When I checked it Monday night, dry as a bone.  But when I checked it last night there was about a half gallon there.  Just need to find the time to start drilling and tapping now...

Seems like yesterday was about 1/2 gal. per tap day according to those that post on Mapletrader.  I've been slowly gathering items, going to make my move on Sat. between bball games.  With busy kids, trying to cut down on the workload and stream line the operation a bit, doing away with bukets this year in favor of tubing into water jugs, fill the jug with sap and swap out a new is the plan.  Wait till you guys see my "new" combo. propane or wood boiler, I'll post a pic when all set up, it will be a thing of beauty. ;D 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.