The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: OT Maple Taps  (Read 155920 times)

Offline blackduckin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Beau dogg!
Re: OT Maple Taps
« Reply #540 on: Mar 12, 2012, 05:49 PM »
Everyone's stuff looks great!  Fired up the new and improved maple machine for the first boil yesterday.  Goes a lot faster than last years two pan model (but I was still at it under lights at 10 pm  :) ).  Figured the back pans would end up just being preheaters but if everything was just right, all four boiled pretty good!   Boiled around 35/40 gallons and will finish it off tonight.  Sap was coming fast and furious when I last saw it this morning - looks like a big day.   :thumbsup:

(Image removed from quote.)

Thats a great set up!!
What if the "Hokey Pokey" is really what its all about??

Offline blackduckin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Beau dogg!
« Reply #541 on: Mar 12, 2012, 05:55 PM »
finish boil

Liquid Gold

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #542 on: Mar 12, 2012, 06:12 PM »
Looks Great Ed!!! :thumbsup: So are you hooked ??? ;D

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #543 on: Mar 12, 2012, 06:15 PM »
Looks Great Ed!!! :thumbsup: So are you hooked ??? ;D

x2  Who knew standing over a propane burner for 15 hrs. to make 2.5 quarts of syrup could be so much fun! ;D

I've got some going outside right now, best run of the yr. today by far.  @)

Offline blackduckin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Beau dogg!
« Reply #544 on: Mar 12, 2012, 06:26 PM »
x2  Who knew standing over a propane burner for 15 hrs. to make 2.5 quarts of syrup could be so much fun! ;D

I've got some going outside right now, best run of the yr. today by far.  @)

Thanks guys, I am hooked.  I collected aabout 10 gallons last two days.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #545 on: Mar 12, 2012, 06:29 PM »
I saw this, and thought it looked like a great idea for the small-scale producers: 

Made from a file cabinet: 

Offline cmstearns

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #546 on: Mar 12, 2012, 07:44 PM »
 the first batch, and with this stupid weather might be the last :'( . what do ya think ;D
think
My favorite quote.. if guns kill people, then spoons made me fat.

Offline blackduckin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Beau dogg!
« Reply #547 on: Mar 12, 2012, 08:13 PM »
the first batch, and with this stupid weather might be the last :'( . what do ya think ;D
(Image removed from quote.)think

Looks  Great!!!  Where'd you get ur bottles?  How much syrup is that ?  12 oz bottles or 8 oz?

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #548 on: Mar 13, 2012, 05:09 AM »
Almost screwed up 7 hours of boiling last night by by getting caught up in an episode of Pawn Stars, got it just in time,  just have to finish and bottle.  Night time lows look much more favorable in my area now, freezing or below through Sat., might not be over after all! @)

Ryan - great looking setup minus the PBR, showoff. ;D

CStearns - you are a quick study, well done.  What was your filtering process?

BDuckin - on your next batch, fill your bottles chock block full to avoid spoilage.

Jeff- I have seen that file cabinet setup on another site, one guy is actually boiling in an old alum truck box as well, amazing the crude inventions people come up with and still make great syrup. :thumbsup:

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #549 on: Mar 13, 2012, 05:36 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)think
That is Great!!! :thumbsup:  Yeah...where did you get those bottles?? ::)

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #550 on: Mar 13, 2012, 05:43 AM »
Almost screwed up 7 hours of boiling last night by by getting caught up in an episode of Pawn Stars, got it just in time,  just have to finish and bottle.  Night time lows look much more favorable in my area now, freezing or below through Sat., might not be over after all! @)

Ryan - great looking setup minus the PBR, showoff. ;D

CStearns - you are a quick study, well done.  What was your filtering process?

BDuckin - on your next batch, fill your bottles chock block full to avoid spoilage.

Jeff- I have seen that file cabinet setup on another site, one guy is actually boiling in an old alum truck box as well, amazing the crude inventions people come up with and still make great syrup. :thumbsup:

:roflmao:

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #551 on: Mar 13, 2012, 06:11 AM »
Lots of places you can get bottles, do a search for maple syrup bottles. I get mine from www.atkinsonmaple.com

Offline cmstearns

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #552 on: Mar 13, 2012, 07:02 AM »
That is Great!!! :thumbsup:  Yeah...where did you get those bottles?? ::)
i got the from andersons, andersonsmaplesyrup.co m/   good service and good prices. the ones i got were the 8 oz bottles, they were 9$ for 12. not too bad, i think this is the perfect size for personal use. ;D
My favorite quote.. if guns kill people, then spoons made me fat.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #553 on: Mar 13, 2012, 07:36 AM »

A couple of main lines for a few taps  (17,000) ;)

A wee little rig to make a small batch of syrup (60+ GPH)

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, syrup

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline Westerly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formerly bbpinecone
« Reply #554 on: Mar 13, 2012, 08:43 AM »
Scott - Does the PBR make the syrup better?  PBR makes EVERYTHING better!!  ;D

That looks like quite an operation vermonner - hope you are making enough syrup this year to make it all worthwhile!  Great looking syrup cmstearns and blackduck.  :thumbsup:  Did you guys filter it before you bottled it?  I really hate the filtering and skimped on it a little with last nights batch.  Seems like the last third takes forever to drip through.  Ended up with three and half quarts and the new hydrometer was awesome gamefisher!  So much easier and removed all my doubts about the endpoint.  Big day yesterday - already have close to 30 gallons waiting for the boiler!
Any idea how much propane you used, Eric?  Probably not to late to get hold of a file cabinet...

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #555 on: Mar 13, 2012, 09:20 AM »
Not as bad as I was expecting on propane, a little less than a tank for 20+ gallons I'd say.  I did surround it with cinder blocks to help keep the heat under the pan.  If I thought the season was going to amount too much I'd do something different but will ride out the propane cost for this year I think.

I hear you about filtering such small batches Ryan, I'm actually going to try "old school" with this batch, no filtering, just finish it off, let it sit and settle for a few days in a cool place, re-heat to 180, and carefully pour, we'll see, I'll let you know results.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #556 on: Mar 13, 2012, 12:04 PM »
Yeah, Westerly, I'm just a rookie hired hand on that operation this year.  I hope they have a good year, but we're all worried about this consistently warm weather.  Trying to learn all I can so I can get into it myself.  This guy has his operation together, he's good for me to learn from.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #557 on: Mar 13, 2012, 12:18 PM »
you guys are lucky to have had much of a syrup season at all.  it is 70 deg here in wisconsin right now and no sap!  this time last year i already had 2 40 gal. cook offs.  now i have 10 gals buried in the last snow pile i pushed together with a wheeler and all of the snow is gone!!  with the heat all of this week i'm thinking the trees will bud and that will be it!  there is no sub 32 deg temps in the forcast for the next week to a week and a half...and definetly no sap.  so have fun while you can!!  my syrup season is going as well as my ice fishing season did so far!!

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #558 on: Mar 13, 2012, 02:10 PM »
you guys are lucky to have had much of a syrup season at all.  it is 70 deg here in wisconsin right now and no sap!  this time last year i already had 2 40 gal. cook offs.  now i have 10 gals buried in the last snow pile i pushed together with a wheeler and all of the snow is gone!!  with the heat all of this week i'm thinking the trees will bud and that will be it!  there is no sub 32 deg temps in the forcast for the next week to a week and a half...and definetly no sap.  so have fun while you can!!  my syrup season is going as well as my ice fishing season did so far!!
Sorry to hear that!!! It is VERY depressing!!!  :'(

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #559 on: Mar 13, 2012, 02:16 PM »
Sorry to hear that!!! It is VERY depressing!!!  :'(

As depressing as it is for us hacks, imagine the people who depend on the sap season for income!  :'( I'm not convinced freezing / thawing is over yet, the question will be more what happens to the trees next week when its 60's / 70's. :o

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #560 on: Mar 13, 2012, 02:48 PM »
Is it cheaper to buy the syrup and use the wood for heat.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #561 on: Mar 13, 2012, 02:53 PM »

Oh I agree x10. Do you know how much money time and effort is put into that and hope you know what your doing? lmao My wife likes doing it and I help her but it is NOT my idea of fun.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline blackduckin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Beau dogg!
« Reply #562 on: Mar 13, 2012, 03:42 PM »
Lots of places you can get bottles, do a search for maple syrup bottles. I get mine from www.atkinsonmaple.com

Thanks Phoenix. Can never have to many sites to check out.

Offline blackduckin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Beau dogg!
« Reply #563 on: Mar 13, 2012, 03:45 PM »
i got the from andersons, andersonsmaplesyrup.co m/   good service and good prices. the ones i got were the 8 oz bottles, they were 9$ for 12. not too bad, i think this is the perfect size for personal use. ;D

Thanks CM!!

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #564 on: Mar 13, 2012, 03:53 PM »

yes if you add the cost of beer!! ;) ;)  but i wouldn't do that if i were you.  i would say that by the time i get done i'm probably hovering around the $30 per gallon.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #565 on: Mar 13, 2012, 05:08 PM »
Well I went to check my taps today...DRY!!!  :'(  I would love to have at least 10-15 more gallons of sap...I have 12 right now....anyone have any near by they can spare ??? ;D

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #566 on: Mar 13, 2012, 08:09 PM »
True! but if we all thought like that it would be its cheaper to stay home and save the gas and bait and buy our fish at Hanaford.  ;D ;D
Never Give Up!

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #567 on: Mar 13, 2012, 08:52 PM »
Well I went to check my taps today...DRY!!!  :'(  I would love to have at least 10-15 more gallons of sap...I have 12 right now....anyone have any near by they can spare ??? ;D

If you come up this way I'm sure I could spare some.  My runs are just begining :sick: if you give me a day or two heads up I can give it to you in 5 gallon jugs and this stuff is CLEAR seems like is closer to 32 to 1 then 40 to 1  :o  Good stuff but so far slow in 6 days off 20 spiles I have 38 gallons we haven't had the big run yet I'm guessing the next few days may do something good or at least I hope I would like to try for 5 gallons of finished product this year.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #568 on: Mar 13, 2012, 09:18 PM »
i got them from andersons, www.andersonsmaplesyru p.com   good service and good prices. the ones i got were the 8 oz bottles, they were 9$ for 12. not too bad, i think this is the perfect size for personal use.

andersons is about 20 miles from my house...i love that place and find it funny that you guys in maine are buying bottles from wisconsin.  i have been up there several times and they are truly very helpful during all aspects of the process.  just flat out good people running a family operation.  if ya gotta spend money on something it is a good place to look.   the first year we bought taps online...cause that's usually where i find things cheepest.  then we went up to andersons and they were half the price even after the shipping.  so i also bought a filter and a cup and hydrometer.  got lots of info that first year to get us going...i must have talked to that poor gal in the store for over and hour.  it's just funny someone mentioned them!!  what a small world we live in!!

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #569 on: Mar 14, 2012, 08:36 AM »
But it dosen't taste as good....the Wife makes me do it!! She is Great....she tells me every year...I have to shoot at least 2 deer, and I have to catch her fish to eat, and I have to make HOMEMADE Maple Syrup, and we can't share any of it!!  :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.