The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: OT Maple Taps  (Read 155919 times)

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
Re: OT Maple Taps
« Reply #390 on: Apr 06, 2011, 08:33 AM »
Just finished my last boil last night. Ended up with 3 1/2 gallons of the good stuff. The trees are still flowing good but I think I have enough to keep the kids happy. Next year I am going to shoot for 5 gal.
MM MM Good stuff.. I wish I had trees available to me to tap, I remember as a kid boiling down gallons of the good stuff! congrats you are so lucky to have that tree candy.. ;D
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #391 on: Apr 06, 2011, 08:34 AM »
question though, at what point are you drawing off to do a finish boil.  Are you checking Baume units in the main boil and when you get close drawing that batch off to finish or are you going until you are out of sap, and then taking that whole batch after a while to finish.  I guess there is a lot of finnesse here, but just wondering about the general rule of thumb??

Offline Westerly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formerly bbpinecone
« Reply #392 on: Apr 06, 2011, 02:24 PM »
Great looking syrup Malysha and cmstearns!!  Nicely done!   :thumbsup:

duckblaster:
I don't even know what a 'Baume unit' is. :blink:

Some people (who probably aren't boiling on bricks in their dooryard) probably get all wrapped in the brix scale, specific gravity, (maybe even Baume units?) - but it's pretty easy to tell when it's time to take it inside just by eyeballing it.  If you start getting nervous, you can just stick a thermometer in and and get some idea how close you are to finished. 

Finally finished, filtered and canned the batch from Sundays marathon boil last night.  A fair amount darker and a quite a bit more red than the earlier batches.  I'm guessing the color has something to with most (if not all) of the sap coming from red maples?  Who cares though, it still tastes great!  Didn't get through all the sap though, so I still have another boil session staring me in the face.  Sap hasn't run for squat since the weekend which doesn't hurt my feelings.  Two or three of my trees have gone yellow too, so not expecting much more...   

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #393 on: Apr 06, 2011, 02:34 PM »
Yes, nice job guys.  We've never had so many guys bitten by the maple bug before. @)

I'm tempted to throw a few taps back in given the forecast for the next three nights. ;D

Offline Westerly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formerly bbpinecone
« Reply #394 on: Apr 06, 2011, 02:44 PM »
I'm tempted to throw a few taps back in given the forecast for the next three nights. ;D

If it runs heavy, you're getting all my sap!!!   ;D

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #395 on: Apr 06, 2011, 03:12 PM »
If it runs heavy, you're getting all my sap!!!   ;D

I'm thinking just like 4-5 of my good producers, enough to pizz the wife off without a lot of work for me. ;D

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #396 on: Apr 06, 2011, 03:42 PM »
I'm thinking just like 4-5 of my good producers, enough to pizz the wife off without a lot of work for me. ;D

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #397 on: Apr 06, 2011, 04:18 PM »
Pulled all my taps out today....started getting dark sap....have about 8 gallons to boil tomorrow....Can't wait till next year...This has been A LOT of fun!!! :thumbsup:

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #398 on: Apr 06, 2011, 05:19 PM »
Yeah I also got a late start and looking at the weather may only have a few more days even though I'm up in the sticks.  So next year I hope is as good as it was for everyone this year.  I got to go get 5.5 gallons to boil tonight.

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #399 on: Apr 07, 2011, 07:00 AM »
So last nights boil looked ok until this morning when I noticed it had about an inch of brown sludge in the bottom of the jar anyone got any thoughts on this????

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #400 on: Apr 07, 2011, 07:04 AM »
So last nights boil looked ok until this morning when I noticed it had about an inch of brown sludge in the bottom of the jar anyone got any thoughts on this????

You went too far.  Don't fret, add it to your next batch of sap, re-boil, re-filter, re-bottle. @)

Offline Westerly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formerly bbpinecone
« Reply #401 on: Apr 07, 2011, 01:56 PM »
Had some free time at lunch today and threw this together (hope it works).  Thought it might be fun looking back at all the pictures in this thread from the shanty's sap-suckers...   ;D

(Thanks to Banjo Dan for the 'sweet' soundtrack...)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #402 on: Apr 07, 2011, 02:08 PM »
Well done Ryan, very cool! @)  I think Team Maine could also be known as Team Hodge Podge after looking at that video.... :wacko:  Pretty neat how everyone is doing it with homemade items and still producing some great product. :thumbsup:

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #403 on: Apr 07, 2011, 02:11 PM »
 :clap: :thumbsup: :bow:

That's classic Ryan!!... :tipup:

Adam.....there's another one for Saturday night!!   ;D

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #404 on: Apr 07, 2011, 02:13 PM »
:clap: :thumbsup: :bow:

That's classic Ryan!!... :tipup:

Adam.....there's another one for Saturday night!!   ;D
YES I AGREE!! Very AWESOME!!!! :thumbsup:  I will add that to the slide shoe for sure!! :woot:

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #405 on: Apr 07, 2011, 04:31 PM »
Nicely done Westerly!!   :tipup:
Brian<br />Nil Carborundum Illigimiti

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #406 on: Apr 07, 2011, 04:49 PM »
4.5 gal. off 5 taps today. ;D

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #407 on: Apr 07, 2011, 04:57 PM »
thats a real nice piece of work, love the cooker on the cover. @)
How they biten

Offline blackduckin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Beau dogg!
« Reply #408 on: Apr 07, 2011, 05:13 PM »
That was great!! Nicely done?
What if the "Hokey Pokey" is really what its all about??

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #409 on: Apr 08, 2011, 07:20 AM »
Gee looked like the "Sebatus Crack" reemerged in that video

Great Job   Music is perfect too!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline allextremesfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #410 on: Apr 08, 2011, 08:22 AM »
Had some free time at lunch today and threw this together (hope it works).  Thought it might be fun looking back at all the pictures in this thread from the shanty's sap-suckers...   ;D

(Thanks to Banjo Dan for the 'sweet' soundtrack...)

very nice!! :clap:
FLAG!!!!!!!!! 's are all down

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #411 on: Apr 08, 2011, 10:07 AM »
the season is winding down in central new york, the guy i work for was making dark amber this week and we pulled taps ended up with about 2500 gallons of syrup for the season

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #412 on: Apr 08, 2011, 11:22 AM »
the season is winding down in central new york, the guy i work for was making dark amber this week and we pulled taps ended up with about 2500 gallons of syrup for the season
Wow! at how much a gallon? ;)2
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #413 on: Apr 08, 2011, 11:33 AM »
Gee looked like the "Sebatus Crack" reemerged in that video

Great Job   Music is perfect too!

HAHA  will always be a classic!

Offline Westerly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formerly bbpinecone
« Reply #414 on: Apr 08, 2011, 12:45 PM »
Thanks guys, I thought you might like it.  

I picked up about 8 gallons from my 11 remaining taps yesterday and todays run should be just as good.  Even the three or four trees that had started dripping yellow are back to producing clear sap!  Last boil tomorrow and that's it for me.  The weather looks like it's going to be all done after that anyway, so good timing.

Offline Fishalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #415 on: Apr 08, 2011, 01:02 PM »
 Nice job Ryan I really enjoyed it.A great way to winded up a good post.
Let the little one\\\\\\\'s grow

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #416 on: Apr 08, 2011, 01:11 PM »
Thanks guys, I thought you might like it.  

I picked up about 8 gallons from my 11 remaining taps yesterday and todays run should be just as good.  Even the three or four trees that had started dripping yellow are back to producing clear sap!  Last boil tomorrow and that's it for me.  The weather looks like it's going to be all done after that anyway, so good timing.

I almost put four more this morning but then I remembered how miserable I was last weekend. ;D I was home for lunch.... pour baby pour, insane drip going. @)  I actually think it will get cold enough tonight to run tomorrow as well, you should hold off until Sunday Ryan, you haven't had enough fun yet. ;D

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #417 on: Apr 10, 2011, 12:41 PM »
Sap is running really well at camp.  I boiled down 40 gallons last weekend, mom & dad boiled 40 gallons that was donated by my uncle during the mid-week (the darker syrup), and I boiled down another 60 gallons this weekend.  Given the syrup's color, I may get 2 more weeks of sap.  I think my trees being down in the woods and still surrounded by significant snow is helping to prolong the season.   I had sap boiling at 9:30am yesterday and had everything put up and cleaned at 7:30pm - A long day to be sure, but worth it. 

This is most of the syrup from the 3 boils - Notice the difference between the syrup from my uncle's trees and that from mine....and he's only 15 miles away.  I think this gives me about 6 gallons for the season.

Brian<br />Nil Carborundum Illigimiti

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #418 on: Apr 10, 2011, 02:28 PM »
Amazing the difference between the two properties Brian, I really need to experience this whole thing with you next season.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #419 on: Apr 10, 2011, 04:19 PM »
And they say batch guys can't make fancy.  :bow: Beautiful syrup Brian, I boiled my last 15 gallons of sap today and was surprised to see it had turned back light as well. @)  You must have a lot bigger wallet than me, 20# cylinder of propane gone! :o

Almost 200 gal of sap and nearly 5 gallons of syrup, most of it already given away, its amazing how many friends you have during sugaring time! ;D

Great to see all the new guys that jumped into the hobby this spring, you picked a great year to do so.  Come on open water, I'm ready. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.