The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: OT Maple Taps  (Read 155905 times)

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
Re: OT Maple Taps
« Reply #360 on: Apr 03, 2011, 06:10 PM »
I finally got some sap today went to my mother in laws and she has some huge maples like over 20 of them total so I put in 10 taps and in 2 hours 3.5 gallons.  this being my first time I'm boiling a small batch inside to get the feel for it.  I'll post pics later.

I bet you'll end up with far more sap then you imagined.  It's is still running really well in Central Maine - Up there it has probably just begun.  Good Luck!!
Brian<br />Nil Carborundum Illigimiti

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #361 on: Apr 03, 2011, 06:37 PM »
great run today and yesterday, not sure why but I put 5 more taps in today. Hard to pull em when it's still running clear sap in the volumes it is. I boiled from 6 last night till three this morning to boil the 50 gals I had from the beginning of the week.  Emptied my buckets around noon( 35 gals)  from the last couple days  and started  boiling again around 2. almost done. The way it was running at noon, the buckets will be full by tomorrow again. I figure at this point I'm all in, Smelts will have to wait a few days, not sure if the sap has interfered with smelting before, but I know theres not going to be a shortage of syrup @)
How they biten

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #362 on: Apr 03, 2011, 08:07 PM »
Pulled my taps today.  Boiling the last batch down right now.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #363 on: Apr 04, 2011, 08:29 AM »
Marathon weekend!  10 hrs. Sat., 12 yesterday, I'm cooked as well as the syrup.  80 gal. total, all that is left too do is re-heat to 180 and bottle, hard work is done.  What a yr., 180+ gal of sap from 16 taps, will end up with 4.5 gal syrup, although have already given alot away. :blink:

Interesting how quickly it can turn.  The previous batch was very light and this last batch is considerably darker, my trees are getting ready to call it quits. :bow:

Pulled taps yesterday and got somewhat cleaned up, lot of work, maybe too much so.  Thinking my rig would look pretty good at Tougefisha's house! ;D

PS - Adam - may want to re-check your syrup density in the last batch, I'm afraid you might be too thin.  It's been running close to 40-1 this yr., would be tough for you to end up with that much syrup from 20 gal sap.  Worth checking, otherwise you'll have moldy syrup in no time. :(

Really enjoyed sharing the season with the fellow sap-a-holics.  Thanks again Scott, Scott, and Tiny. @)  

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #364 on: Apr 04, 2011, 10:13 AM »
my first batch overcooked and is now sugar I should have listened to the daughter who said 15 minutes before that it was done and she's only 9 but one hell of a foodaholic.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #365 on: Apr 04, 2011, 10:18 AM »
my first batch overcooked and is now sugar I should have listened to the daughter who said 15 minutes before that it was done and she's only 9 but one hell of a foodaholic.

Get a cheap candy thermometer for your purposes.  Test it in boiling water prior, whatever it says go 7 degrees above. Also, you can get it pretty close just by watching how it drips off a spatula.  It should "hang on" and run down the edge before dripping.  Good luck, lot of work to mess up a batch, we've all been there. :'(

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #366 on: Apr 04, 2011, 10:53 AM »
so do you keep your temp at 7 degrees above the water boiling point the whole boiling time?

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #367 on: Apr 04, 2011, 11:03 AM »
so do you keep your temp at 7 degrees above the water boiling point the whole boiling time?

The closer it gets to syrup, the more the temp. will rise.  At some point, all of a sudden, it will just shoot up there.  You can almost tell by the bubbles, they become very small and caramelized in appearance.  It is very important to check those cheap therm's. in boiling water first because they vary so much.  Yours may say boiling is 225 instead of 212, just go 7 degrees higher than it says, that's syrup.

Go online and buy a book called Backyard Sugarin, very helpful to us small time guys.

Offline Westerly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formerly bbpinecone
« Reply #368 on: Apr 04, 2011, 11:14 AM »
I'll second the Backyard Sugarin' book.  A great read for someone just getting started.

I thought (hoped) I'd be done this weekend, but after boiling for 13 hrs yesterday I quit with 15+ gallons of sap still in the tank.  Just couldn't take it anymore!  Looks like I'll be collecting for a few more days, and finally wrap this operation up thursday or friday.  It's starting to feel like work...  :)    

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #369 on: Apr 04, 2011, 11:18 AM »
I thought (hoped) I'd be done this weekend, but after boiling for 13 hrs yesterday I quit with 15+ gallons of sap still in the tank.  Just couldn't take it anymore!  Looks like I'll be collecting for a few more days, and finally wrap this operation up thursday or friday.  It's starting to feel like work...  :)    

That's just how I felt, :wacko: as I picked up buckets yesterday I kept hoping they'd be empty! ;D

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #370 on: Apr 04, 2011, 12:25 PM »
NICE Brian!!! :P  Looks Awesome!!! :thumbsup:

X2 here.

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #371 on: Apr 04, 2011, 01:04 PM »
I had a gallon left over from last year and the wife said " thats enough if we go easy." I said " cool ", I dont have to slave over that this year. Well, the neighbor wanted me to show him how and my wife agree to can it for him. 4 gallons later she said " I cant work days and can syrup at night too. " He is still going and is at about 6 gallons of prime syrup as I type and is still cranking it out at his place. Been a wicked good year.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #372 on: Apr 04, 2011, 05:01 PM »
Family friend did 31 gallons on 106 taps this year,  pulled his taps yesterday. 
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #373 on: Apr 05, 2011, 05:37 AM »
2nd batch is much better pics soon

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #374 on: Apr 05, 2011, 06:31 AM »
2nd batch is much better pics soon

Great news, just takes a little getting used to.  I bottled last night, ended up with 2 gal. (and a half pint ;D) from the 80 gallons boiled off this weekend, some beautiful tasty end of run dark amber. @)

Offline Fishalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #375 on: Apr 05, 2011, 10:23 AM »
 I'm so tired just watching you guys doing making syrup .I cant believe the amount of work you have been putting in to this. I always thought of doing this because I have 6 big maples in my yard. I've had second thoughts now may be I'll just buy some. :-\
Let the little one\\\\\\\'s grow

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #376 on: Apr 05, 2011, 10:33 AM »
Rumor has it there might be a few jars of it given away as door prizes at the banquet.  :whistle:

Maybe we can have a judging contest on the best maple syrup of this season  ;D

Any of you boilers willing to offer up a jar or 2 for saturday night??

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #377 on: Apr 05, 2011, 10:35 AM »
I've had second thoughts now may be I'll just buy some. :-\

That's the smartest decision you'll ever make Jim. ;D

Offline Fishalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #378 on: Apr 05, 2011, 10:45 AM »
That's the smartest decision you'll ever make Jim. ;D
Don't get me wrong ,I still think it sounds like fun but wow!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #379 on: Apr 05, 2011, 10:51 AM »
Don't get me wrong ,I still think it sounds like fun but wow!

It's like any other hobby addiction Jim, I started with my grandfather and wanted to pass it along to my kids.  It's a great family / friend activity but extremely time consuming for the "small guy."  Fun to see what you can make on some pretty primitive setups! ;D

Having said that, I recommend you go and buy a gallon. ;D I've seen it for $50-$60 in our area. @)

Offline Fishalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #380 on: Apr 05, 2011, 11:49 AM »
It's like any other hobby addiction Jim, I started with my grandfather and wanted to pass it along to my kids.  It's a great family / friend activity but extremely time consuming for the "small guy."  Fun to see what you can make on some pretty primitive setups! ;D

Having said that, I recommend you go and buy a gallon. ;D I've seen it for $50-$60 in our area. @)

I don't think so,I'll need my money for gas to go smelting. I guess I'll have to settle for Wal-Mart brand. :'(

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #381 on: Apr 05, 2011, 11:55 AM »
I'm so tired just watching you guys doing making syrup .I cant believe the amount of work you have been putting in to this. I always thought of doing this because I have 6 big maples in my yard. I've had second thoughts now may be I'll just buy some. :-\
To be honest...this was my first year doing it...I had 19 taps and have so far boiled down around 35 gallons of sap....it REALLY isn't all that hard...the most time consuming thing is boiling down....which I boiled down 20+ gallons last Friday....I highly recommend you giving it a try!!! :thumbsup:

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #382 on: Apr 05, 2011, 12:01 PM »
To be honest...this was my first year doing it...I had 19 taps and have so far boiled down around 35 gallons of sap....it REALLY isn't all that hard...the most time consuming thing is boiling down....which I boiled down 20+ gallons last Friday....I highly recommend you giving it a try!!! :thumbsup:

MDH-
 I could not help notcie that your finishing your sap on the stove. Hows the wallpaper holding up? get it holding UP I made that mistake my first year and I now have paint, its the easiest way to remove it If you do it again throw some eggs in there prior to the finish boil and hard boil them wicked good egg salad.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #383 on: Apr 05, 2011, 12:42 PM »
MDH-
 I could not help notcie that your finishing your sap on the stove. Hows the wallpaper holding up? get it holding UP I made that mistake my first year and I now have paint, its the easiest way to remove it If you do it again throw some eggs in there prior to the finish boil and hard boil them wicked good egg salad.
:woot:  Good thing I don't have wall paper....and my final boils have only been about an hour in the house, if that.  So there hasn't been too much steam in the house!! :thumbsup:

Offline Ice Chip

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #384 on: Apr 05, 2011, 12:53 PM »
We did a finish boil in the house last night and just cracked the windows enough to let the moisture out.  Worked fairly well.  We bottled about a 1/2 gallon.  We were just playing, had about 15 gallons of sap that we boiled through the weekend.  Next year we have use of an evaporator so we will be stepping it up a notch. 
Tom Thibeault          

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #385 on: Apr 05, 2011, 03:31 PM »

As I said above my second batch was better not perfect but better.  Can't wait to get some more sap.

Offline cmstearns

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #386 on: Apr 05, 2011, 04:19 PM »
ok i have a new hobby. after reading all the posts and doing some reserch i decided to tap three trees in my yard. after alot of trial and error i think i got it. its funny how many people ask for it once they find out your makin maple syrup. next year def. gunna use wood with gas the way it is. hear is the final product. thanks for all the help and advice. ;D ;D ;D
My favorite quote.. if guns kill people, then spoons made me fat.

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #387 on: Apr 05, 2011, 06:13 PM »
Fishalot, let me know if you wanna try it next year. I have a ton of spare spiles you could use.

Offline Fishalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #388 on: Apr 05, 2011, 06:46 PM »
Fishalot, let me know if you wanna try it next year. I have a ton of spare spiles you could use.
Thank I'll have to think about it.

Offline MEbearhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #389 on: Apr 06, 2011, 07:36 AM »
Just finished my last boil last night. Ended up with 3 1/2 gallons of the good stuff. The trees are still flowing good but I think I have enough to keep the kids happy. Next year I am going to shoot for 5 gal.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.